Trav4Oilers Part 2 - The Beefs

TheGoalNet

In His Own Words Pt 2: Beefs – Trav4Oilers

Note: These are Trav’s opinions, not the opinions of TheGoalNet.com’s staff

Below is basically a copy and paste from an e-mail correspondence between Trav4 and myself. This article is part 2 of a 3 part series. Everything written below is Trav responding to our questions. The only thing that was edited what that we removed the actual names of people involved in the beefs. It's not TheGoalNet.com's purpose to single anyone out or throw gas on these flames. It's our goal to understand how they start and let Trav share his side of the story. As they say. . . "There are two sides of every story"

IMG_7809.PNG

Trav here... So first off,  I think that social media beefs are very interesting. Obviously I am in the industry of entertainment, the more entertaining and colorful I am (for the most part) the better my analytics are usually. If you look to the fitness industry on Youtube, multiple content creators have seriously cashed in off of beef with other content creators.

1. Who was the first one? 

First beef I got into honestly was probably with a rival YouTube goalie account. This person is someone that could be considered more of a personality than a goalie. If you know anything about the online goalie industry you know very well that he and I go together like orange juice and toothpaste, cats and dogs, or baking soda and vinegar. Point being that we don’t like each other for a multitude of reasons. He likes to pretend that nothing is wrong, but I believe he probably hates me 10x more than I dislike him. I believe that some other companies got his tongue.

2. Why did they start?

Why did it start? I can’t really speak on that because I got a video in the works that will address the issues I’ve had with him as well as a few other self proclaimed “content creators” in the industry but its 2 different people here. The difference between him and I is kind of like taking a girl on a dinner date and trying to figure out what she wants to eat, you want ice cream or you want steak?

IMG_7810.PNG

3. Do you feel targeted?

I feel targeted as the bad guy a lot. I think that because I speak my mind about what I want, when I want, people get intimidated by that in the online world where everybody else is playing dress up 24/7 with every minor and major company out there so they can rake in the free products. So when I speak my mind about other creators, companies, or whatever else people get easily offended.

4. Do you like beefs?

Do I like beef? I mean who doesn’t like standing there smiling while an opposing player gets more angry ;D but in all seriousness I don’t like the beef or go out of my way to search for it. It’s not like I wake up in the morning and ask “who can I start a conflict with” it’s more so when I see something I don’t like or people being fake it bugs me cause I can see right through it. So I call them on it. A goalie famous for his YouTube unboxing videos and product reviews is a good example of that. He claims his content is 100% honest meanwhile I have emails from the CCM goal category brand managers about how they send him countless free gear because he pumps them, etc amongst many other things. Video on that in the works as well ;)5. Do you want to avoid them in the future?I would like to avoid all the online beefs if at all possible but people always will always have something negative to say about your content or find a way to slander you so I’m sure its inevitable that a conflict will come up again at some point. At the end of the day I’m more than happy to support the people that are good to me.

In his defense, Tomy did say he didn't like the outer flap of the knee lock on his Eflex III's...so that was pretty honest and objective.  And now he does live streams, which according to him are even more honest...so that's always nice. :eyeroll:

9 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

In his defense, Tomy did say he didn't like the outer flap of the knee lock on his Eflex III's...so that was pretty honest and objective.  And now he does live streams, which according to him are even more honest...so that's always nice. :eyeroll:

I am reluctant to write this becuase I don't want it to be interpreted the wrong way. . . But in speaking with Trav quite a bit on this topic, I think he response would be "there's only 1 item he didn't like about his pads? Unless it was free, what piece of gear is that perfect?"

Again, not my opinion. I am just trying to add some context to Trav's points. Even though he has received lots of free stuff himself, he is starting question how honest any of the goalie social media profiles are. I think he had a major awakening when a company he had a relationship with said "do this" and he didn't do it. 

I will always try to note in my reviews if I received a piece of gear for free or not. Anyone with integrity needs to make that clear. 

As someone who used to review bicycle gear, I can say this with first hand experience: Free colours your perception of the gear, I don't care how "objective" you are. After all- if you did NOT plunk down your hard-earned money, how much objectivity can be gleaned from things you don't like? The sting is gone when it isn't your money on the line. When I feel like I have wasted my money, I'm FURIOUS!!!! If I got it for free and didn't like it,  it's "whatever; yeah- I'm not keen, but it's no big deal". 

Everything I got for free tended naturally to get a higher review score except for one item, and I almost got sued over that review! I stopped accepting free items and made certain that I could be 100% objective. One I paid FULL PRICE for was given a 10! Many were not, but my perceptions were not coloured by it being free. I also stopped testing prototypes, as many times, features were omitted from production items. 

Most likely- items given for long trial period but MUST be returned  nets honest assessments. Free, no-strings attached items to review almost ALWAYS have strings attached. 

It is best to disclose free.

8 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

As someone who used to review bicycle gear, I can say this with first hand experience: Free colours your perception of the gear, I don't care how "objective" you are. After all- if you did NOT plunk down your hard-earned money, how much objectivity can be gleaned from things you don't like? The sting is gone when it isn't your money on the line. When I feel like I have wasted my money, I'm FURIOUS!!!! If I got it for free and didn't like it,  it's "whatever; yeah- I'm not keen, but it's no big deal". 

Everything I got for free tended naturally to get a higher review score except for one item, and I almost got sued over that review! I stopped accepting free items and made certain that I could be 100% objective. One I paid FULL PRICE for was given a 10! Many were not, but my perceptions were not coloured by it being free. I also stopped testing prototypes, as many times, features were omitted from production items. 

Most likely- items given for long trial period but MUST be returned  nets honest assessments. Free, no-strings attached items to review almost ALWAYS have strings attached. 

It is best to disclose free.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. I always try to factor in price to what I'm looking at to see if it is truly worth it. I hope that reflects in the work I do. 

I think it's very telling of the person who is making content of they disclosed the product sources before it ever being brought up.

Also very telling of the person if they never ask for compensation to help with the review, like a free glove or stick to help with problems you might have with a product.

17 minutes ago, Hills said:

I agree with what you are saying 100%. I always try to factor in price to what I'm looking at to see if it is truly worth it. I hope that reflects in the work I do. 

I think it's very telling of the person who is making content of they disclosed the product sources before it ever being brought up.

Also very telling of the person if they never ask for compensation to help with the review, like a free glove or stick to help with problems you might have with a product.

Why would one ask for compensation if they had trouble with an item? That goes well into the not quite objective review camp!

The problem I had when I got a piece of gear "free/no strings attached" was that while some manufacturers left me alone, others emailed or rang me seemingly once per week hoping to get an early indication of my review; one even tried influencing me, in which I returned their item with no review! Note that nothing was published, as my object is to not smear the manufacturer in question.

I always would give a manufacturer the chance to make things right if I were to give a scathing review, and would thusly note it. This would happen if I saw production issues with a sample sent. That also led to me no longer accepting pre-production or prototype pieces. 

What always killed me was in one Triathlon magazine, the review was sometimes next to a full-page ad for that brand's item!!! That was what got me into reviewing gear, as it was very apparent that it was NOT an unbiased review!

7 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Why would one ask for compensation if they had trouble with an item? That goes well into the not quite objective review camp!

Someone mentioned in this thread asked for compensation for issues they were having. Then took a payment in the form of a refund for the product to not post a review.

Archived