Getting up with the correct leg - Brain Reprogramming

Hey guys

okay so long story short, started playing ball hockey 2001 or 2002, had a player fall on me and tore some of my mcl on right leg. Fast forward a few months later, tore my meniscus in the same knee and was never operated on after seeing many therapists and their misdiagnosis. So fast forward 17 years later and I have got away with getting up with only my Left Leg ala Brodeur. So I am trying to program my head again with getting up with my right leg like I used to. 

Been doing alot of stuff in the gym with weigh lifting, squats, Bulgarian splits and sumos. 

Any help would be appreciated. Seems that every time I need to get up, there goes my damn left leg doing the talking.

Repetition repetition repetition. On the ice, with no shots, just b-fly and recover with left leg. B-fly again and recover with right leg. Keep doing that and you'll retrain your brain.

You don't want to just do it with your right leg the whole time, because then you'll just be doing a switch of what you want to do.

When I first played there was no consideration as to which leg you got up on (even though thinking back now it should have been) . When I returned, that had all changed, so I had to teach myself to get up on the correct foot.

Because I work in an office, two things happen: 1 – I get to be fat and lazy. 2. I get a chair with wheels. When I started trying to force myself to get up on the right (or rather, correct) foot, I found he office chair really helped. If I wanted to get to my recycling bin or bookshelf on the right side of my office, I would push my chair, having to use my left foot. Getting back to my left meant pushing with the right foot. I was able to instill in my thick head that if I wanted to go to the right, I needed to use (get up on) the left foot and vice versa. I was amazed at how quick this solved the correct foot problem.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:19 AM, Colander said:

When I first played there was no consideration as to which leg you got up on (even though thinking back now it should have been) . When I returned, that had all changed, so I had to teach myself to get up on the correct foot.

Because I work in an office, two things happen: 1 – I get to be fat and lazy. 2. I get a chair with wheels. When I started trying to force myself to get up on the right (or rather, correct) foot, I found he office chair really helped. If I wanted to get to my recycling bin or bookshelf on the right side of my office, I would push my chair, having to use my left foot. Getting back to my left meant pushing with the right foot. I was able to instill in my thick head that if I wanted to go to the right, I needed to use (get up on) the left foot and vice versa. I was amazed at how quick this solved the correct foot problem.

Dude same here.  I push myself around on my chair like I am on the ice alllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time.  I do it as more of a workout for those muscles to help improve my push, I didn't even think about it as a way to condition my brain to use the correct foot.  

LOL - my carpet in my office is very low pile so there's not much rolling resistance. I think I should get some extra deep shag rug (red or blue to be extra annoying). That would really increase the rolling resistance and help get me some "schwarzenegger" like thighs!

2 hours ago, Colander said:

LOL - my carpet in my office is very low pile so there's not much rolling resistance. I think I should get some extra deep shag rug (red or blue to be extra annoying). That would really increase the rolling resistance and help get me some "schwarzenegger" like thighs!

Same.  Very low profile.

Archived