Help - Issues with laces coming loose

Big2

Guys

I just found out that my sons skates have been loosening while he practices/plays - in order to solve the problem he has gotten into the habit of taping his skates at the top section with clear tape used mainly by players to hold their pads in place!

Bauer Reactor 9000 with waxed laces!

Has anyone had a similar issue and what have you done to solve it????

[Edit - I posted the following comment, but I guess I should clarify: are you saying the skates loosen off - i.e. due to lace stretch - or do you mean they come undone? If the latter, read on...]

While I won’t say I’ve never had this happen, in 5 years since my return to the nets, I’ve had it happen 3 times max. In my previous iteration  as I goalie I really don't recall this happening twice in say 15 years.

Even though it hasn’t been a problem, one thing I have taken to as insurance is, after I’ve tied my skates, I flip the bows down and then trap them under my home made “flex toes”.

Even if your son is using just the skate lace ties, if he tries trapping the bows under the toe tie I’ll bet the issue goes away.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just double knot it.

Tie your skates normally, then take the loops and do another quick knot.

Never once had any issues coming undone.

Coop I believe he has been tying his skates in this fashion since he was a little dumpling - will double check to make sure!

1 hour ago, goalie said:

Other fix is instead of crossing the laces in the top eyelet, thread it straight up. That way you can get the tightness you want and the tie the knot.

Goalie - I have seen this technique will look it up on the net and show it to him! This one might be a hard sell if it's too complicated!

On 8/4/2017 at 1:56 PM, Big2 said:

Guys

I just found out that my sons skates have been loosening while he practices/plays - in order to solve the problem he has gotten into the habit of taping his skates at the top section with clear tape used mainly by players to hold their pads in place!

Bauer Reactor 9000 with waxed laces!

Has anyone had a similar issue and what have you done to solve it????

The waxed laces are the problem

53 minutes ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Yeah not sure that is correct - my local goalie shop recommends waxed laces so as to avoid lace slippage!

I will try a technique I found on the Internet, will be starting by lacing his skates from the outside in and towards the top of the skate 2-3rd hole will be creating a loop on each side. It is recommended to help hold the ankle in place and also avoid lace slippage.

will advice!

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, Big2 said:

Goalie - I have seen this technique will look it up on the net and show it to him! This one might be a hard sell if it's too complicated!

Not complicated just pass the lace up on the same side and tighten it up, and the knot wont loosen.

Other cause could be he is not tightening the laces all the way up and they are loosening from the bottom up.

Thanks to all - I have a couple of leads that we are trying this week!

I have to say that we tried a lacing procedure at home by which you lace the skates from the outside in - it works but was too complicated to complete the skate tying procedure. I believe this would not only relive any loose laces but it is also touted as relieving lace bite.

Will advice!

So my son just got back from a 2 hour practice and prior to the practice I reminded him to do 2-3 loops before doin his bow at the end to tie his skates, lace slippage solved!  I will be honest with you I had shown this to him a while back and it looks like he had stopped using this technique when tying his skate??

Also as he just started using his new skates he was complaining about his ankle not necessarily holding in place - so I explained to him that there are 2-3 eyelets that cover the area where the foot/ankle meet and that he had to tie this extremely tight!

Again he said that his ankle felt more secured in his skate following my comments above!!

I will monitor this for the balance of the week as he has 3 more practices.

On 6. 8. 2017 at 3:35 AM, Awgoalie164 said:

Awgoalie is right. I went from waxed laces back to normal laces some time ago and never looked back. Waxed laces was the problem.

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

mik all the research online leads to waxed laces??

I have solved the problem but will look into this further!

I was told lot of times that waxed are better, but every time I try, they dont hold well. Players in my team like them, but they dont have pads rotating on their skates? I had only once problem with normal laces and it was my falut... 

btw. I have normal laces on pads to, both under socks and works well. 

Archived