Help- Skate dragging while butterfly sliding

JonsieRoy

Hi guys, a little background here: Im just starting back into playing net at 26, I played as a kid until I was about 13 so I’ve got a head start on the general mechanics, it’s just a matter of getting used to the position again now. I’ve been playing for about 2 months now 1-2 times per week. 

Anyways, I tried a new (to me) set of 37+1 Vaughn V6’s this morning for the first time, they felt pretty good for the most part, a better fit than the 36’s I was wearing before. But, I noticed that when I performed my lateral butterfly slide, I was having a hard time going from one side of my crease to the other, sometimes needing two pushes. I realized that my skate on my sliding side was catching the ice as I slid. Just wondering if you guys have any advice on how to correct this, is it a matter of consciously keeping my foot flexed and off the ice? Or should I tighten up my bootstrap? (It is very loose, there was no hole in the strap to have it tight, so it basically wasn’t doing anything). I’m also waiting for a set of pro laces to be delivered and I’m worried the problem will be worse because it will let my foot settle even closer to the ice. 

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Hm, ok.  I don't have any experience with that one then.  Mostly I'd have my back leg drag the toe of the blade on the ice.  I will say that I had that a lot when I first switched to a cowlingless skate, but it went away after a few weeks of icetimes.  So maybe this is somewhat related to getting back in the swing of things and getting used to moving in the gear again?

It must be that you're lifting your leading leg a bit as your sliding.  If your leading knee is on the ice then your blade shouldn't be catching.  I could maybe see if you have zero slack in toe ties and it's forcing your foot to angle up and your heel is catching the ice.  The bungee style toe ties your waiting on will help with that and allow your foot to get flatter on it's side and relieve stress on your hips which you may not feel yet.  

Archived