Chakal Warrior R/GT pro review

chakal

I wanted to write that review for a long time but wanted to play enough games with them before. Getting away from the ice with a minor surgery and also working on writing, drawing and self-publishing my very first comic book (that’s a secret though, so keep your mouth shut!) delayed this review.

First, I was before in Ritual G3 33+2. All stock with 60 degree liner ion the catcher. I’ve ordered my R/GT with the same size and the stock catcher angle.

The only difference being that I could order the R/GT with 2 knee breaks, like I had on my G2. But the R/GT don’t have the profile lock. So first question everybody asks is : “Can you get a decent S shape with the R/GT without it and without any thigh strap?”

Let me say this, my butterfly is really narrow, 90’s style narrow. So, if the R/GT couldn’t close the 5 hole, I wouldn’t use them at all. So yes, just by storing them upside down in-between games, I was able to get the shape I need and close the 5 hole just as good as the G3 and G2. But to make things clear, I guess you will need the 2 knee breaks for that.

I strap my R/GT exactly like my G3. I took out the neoprene knee strap and only kept the nylon strap. The boot strap goes at my ankle through my skate homemade Lundy Loop. Only difference, on my R/GT I use a skate lace at the toe while I was using the toe strap on my G3. Why? I don’t know, maybe the difference in the tapered toe or maybe since there’s no profile lock I needed an extra quarter of inch of loose to close the 5 hole? Anyway, with that, I got the exact same feel when butterflying on both models.

The R/GT with double knee break is way softer vertically. It shows when I rest my hands on top of them when the puck is away from my zone. I don’t know if it’s the case, but the boot break feels softer too. Nothing that makes it a huge adaptation coming from the G3. I wasn’t surprised by the rebounds neither so I guess it reacts just the same.

Little details come to mind while writing this though. I’m what you would call and hybrid goalie. With such a narrow butterfly, I rely on half-fly saves (kick save or whatever you call it) and Potvin-esk paddle down on close play. With the smaller and looser outside wedge, I feel less restrictive when I pull out my leg. Not something I couldn’t do with my G3, but I had to loosen up the outside wedge on my G3 just like I did on my G2, to feel 100% comfortable.

I know the R/GT have shorter knee stacks, but I don't even notice it when I play.

So, I’m super happy with the pads. If you ask me which one is better between the G3 and R/GT, I would have a hard time giving you an answer. I got the same results from both with very minor tweaks. Maybe someone who would like a straight stiff pad would know better. As for the weight, they both feel as light.

Then, the easy part of the comparison here, the blocker. The R/GT, G3 and even G2 feels a lot the same. Which is good since I love it. Also, I would guess it’s the lightest blocker on the market. On all version of it, I loosen up the wrist to the maximum and add extra length of strap to have it completely open. I need to feel that my wrist is as mobile as when I have no gear on. I’ve been doing this since forever on all the blockers I had in the past.

Now, the catcher, while it feels like the G2 and G3, the R/GT seems a bit less bulky at the palm. Probably because the liner isn’t removable, so less material between your hand and the palm of the catcher. All 3 catchers close like a charm even out of the box. So I guess it’s all about what you prefer, the G2 and G3 felt more like if you had a practice palm while still closing like a game ready catcher. I do have a slight preference for the R/GT over the G2 and G3 catchers. Again, it’s the lightest catcher on the market. Around 850 grams compared to 1200 grams for a CCM Eflex 3.

If you have any question, feel free to post and I’ll try to answer the best I can.

Here are the pictures of the R/GT in comparison with the G3 set.

5EF4FD79-053F-45AF-9F4E-56795B9BCA06_zpslujpxxcu.jpg

165DAB2F-872A-4C80-9441-4D6858EBE206_zpswy0j5nru.jpg

20170613_134747_zpsyuodyqn0.jpg

20170613_134827_zpswfflqdlr.jpg

20170613_134918_zpsuxagc4oy.jpg

20170613_135235_zpsbw9ys276.JPG

20170613_135752_zpsifz4am2a.JPG

20170613_135818_zpsrzk3huvb.JPG

20170613_135835_zps3ng2xaah.JPG

20170613_140012_zpszitwxobg.JPG

20170613_140041_zpscn9rgmfv.JPG

95712144-6E5E-496F-8344-5C317EB28E85_zps2dzwigwc.jpg

ChakalRGT2017_zpslp5pqu3j.JPG

Good review Chakal.

I'm surprised you've gone back to the traditional toe ties. The R/GT has enough torsional flex (designed that way) to keep the top of the thigrise square while also allowing the tapered boot to bend down to seal the ice as well.

Unless the double break changes that a bit? Have you tried it with the elastic straps?

Also, incase anyone is wondering, the R/GT's feel stiffer above the knee than the G3's. GT's have a single internal/external break below the knee and the G3's have a single external break below the knee while having two internal breaks. The boot is softer, but only my a small margin. These aren't a typical hybrid pad (velocity, reactor, Gn3tik) and more of a hybrid like the 1X. A stiff pad with a little more flex.

Edit: Also, I was a much bigger fan of the GT glove over the G3. The loss of the removable palm is actually a good thing in my books when it comes to the catcher.

They kept the removable palm for the blocker (thankfully as I like a lower hand placement)

I tried the elastic strap at the beginning. It worked but I didn't felt 100% like when I was using the G3. So now, with the lace, I got the same feel. It could be also that I switch to my R/GT during a terrible slump. I was playing so bad that I said, that's the time to switch, I can't be any worse.

• 1 month later...

Well, the main difference is obvious, I really feel more comfortable in a double break pad. It's not during the actual play, but when I'm just standing and resting my hand on the top of my pads or when I'm setting myself up when the play approaches. It may be just a detail, but I do feel more comfortable. Just like with my G2. For the strapping, no difference at all. Except that I feel more mobile in the R/GT, probably due to the use of a lace at the toe. Never tried the toe lace on the G3 though, but on the G3, never felt I needed to put on a lace. But I surely put a lot more of slack to the lace. In the past, with other models and brands, I used to put at least, AT LEAST!, 2" of slack at the toe lace.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:00 AM, chakal said:

Well, the main difference is obvious, I really feel more comfortable in a double break pad. It's not during the actual play, but when I'm just standing and resting my hand on the top of my pads or when I'm setting myself up when the play approaches. It may be just a detail, but I do feel more comfortable. Just like with my G2. For the strapping, no difference at all. Except that I feel more mobile in the R/GT, probably due to the use of a lace at the toe. Never tried the toe lace on the G3 though, but on the G3, never felt I needed to put on a lace. But I surely put a lot more of slack to the lace. In the past, with other models and brands, I used to put at least, AT LEAST!, 2" of slack at the toe lace.

Good to hear. The strapping for these pads are identical so your experiences are more in line with what I was expecting.

I've been using the elastic strap on the toe from the beginning, though I may try some skate lace for a switch up. Sometimes it does feel like my toes are "too attached" to my pads.

Archived