Step Steel Extreme vs modern skates

My son needs larger skates.  He’s 5’8’, 125lbs and playing elite level hockey.  He’s worn Bauer NXG skates with Step Steel Extreme blades since he was under 5’.  
ive heard that more modern skates rival the Step Steel in night based on the holder design.  My son wants all the height he can get.  Am I best off looking for a used set of NXGs with SSExtreme blades, or are modern Bauer’s going to give him comparable height?  Anyone know?  Any help is really appreciated.

2 hours ago, TheWall0211 said:

Did you go to the 1X or 2X? Are the 2S skates similar in height?

Mine are just the X900. I believe all Bauer's cowlingless skates use the same Vertexx holder, so height should be the same. I found a comparison pic from when I got them.

skates.jpg

7 hours ago, TheWall0211 said:

Maybe, but the boy has used the Extreme steel for years. He’s just used to them.  He just doesn’t want to lose the height.  That’s what I’m asking about.  I can find the steel, that’s not the issue.

NXG with fresh Extreme steel might be little taller but so what? Is he making stand up saves all the time and hard time to reach the crossbar? The height difference is minimal. But right fit 2S pro/ 2X pro is way ahead in everything else. 

Archived