New Goalie Question on Leg Pads

Viper12161

Hey Guys,

So I am a new to the position and jumped in between the pipes at the tender age of 40.  I have 2 hours of ice time under my belt so far but love it! I got a set of pads off one of our leagues other goalies. They are Sherwood Cerberus 12 Pro pads.  I am having a hard time rotating my left pad so that it is lying flat in the butterfly position. I always tend to just go down on my knee and pad is in position like I am kneeling.  (hope that makes sense)  I am assuming it very much has to do with learning the form, but our other goalie mentioned it might be my type of pads that's giving me a hard time. I am still playing around with strap tightness and such, but want to make sure it is just me (I'm sure it is).  Just wanted to get some insight on what others though.

Thanks!!!!

Drive your knees down and together, and try to flare your feet as much as possible.  

Good rule of thumb, velcro loose to snug, leather straps loose to very loose to help with rotation.  Also add slack to your toe ties if laces otherwise move to a bungee system

Excellent, thanks for the input!  I do have leather straps that I think I went snug on, and I know the toe lace was cranked. So will definitely loosen them up considerably. I'm going to try to get to a couple of skates in at a stick and puck so I can mess around with the straps on the ice. The last 2 times I went out were in games, so not much time for equipment adjustments.  Was also looking into the bungee system for the toe ties. Anyone that is better than another? 

On 8/24/2017 at 4:48 PM, Viper12161 said:
Excellent, thanks for the input!  I do have leather straps that I think I went snug on, and I know the toe lace was cranked. So will definitely loosen them up considerably. I'm going to try to get to a couple of skates in at a stick and puck so I can mess around with the straps on the ice. The last 2 times I went out were in games, so not much time for equipment adjustments.  Was also looking into the bungee system for the toe ties. Anyone that is better than another? 

Not really.  Prolaces have a 2nd toe bridge that installs on top of the existing bridge.  

There's lots of DIY stuff as well

2 hours ago, Viper12161 said:

Brian's Smart Toe tended to come undone.  I have experience with Pro Laces and Monster, as well. Both are good products. 

Good onya for trying goal at an adult age!

Agree with all that the others have said - definitely the toe ties need to have slack.

Also - where do you put your boot strap (first strap after the toe tie)? I run mine through the rear opening in the skate (under my heel) and it is very loose. Of all the buckled straps on the pad, IMO that is probably the critical one for how well your pads rotate.

Driving the knees helps as well

I thought there was a thread or threads on bungee- type toe ties on this forum (including home made, but I can't find it - in a bit of a rush right now though)

Is there a possibility of a short video clip to have a look ???

Agree with others - toe ties and boot strap realy loose, other straps loose too. In my opinion, you can try some straping options at home and look how pads rotate or not. Than you wil have an idea when you hit ice.

btw, welcome here and congratulations to make it the net ;)!  

Thanks for all the info everyone!!  Played again last night and had straps a lot looser as well as toe tie as suggested. Made a big difference.  Still need to work on getting the pads up a bit more and closing my 5 hole the size of the freakin Grand Canyon (let 2 in there last night) I have HAL straps on order and should be in soon. I also just joined an adult hockey league as a goalie, so can't wait for that!!! 

Archived