Go for ultrasonic or Optik 2

Leo

Hi, Everyone.
Currently I wear Vaughn SLR set. Want to try other brand. 
Ultrasonic and Optik 2 are my two options. want to heard some size suggestions or more. Thanks

I wear 33+2 in Vaughn. also want to try shorter pads. Bauer S? Brians 32+2?

59 minutes ago, Leo said:

Hi, Everyone.
Currently I wear Vaughn SLR set. Want to try other brand. 
Ultrasonic and Optik 2 are my two options. want to heard some size suggestions or more. Thanks

I wear 33+2 in Vaughn. also want to try shorter pads. Bauer S? Brians 32+2?

Why do you want a shorter pad? Is your knee not landing centre on the stack, or are you having issues with the tops of the pads catching on each other?

@TheGoalNet hmmm I prefer the pads can seal on the ice. Ultrasonic in your review is pretty impressive.
I also saw few clips on Instagram, some goalies also using optik 2 looks natural when they move butterfly.

I am a goalie always focus on the rebound put to the corner. Most of the pads can do that. but I just want to try different brands.
I play in Asia, but we don't have any retail goalie gear store can try to fit. All of information from you guys did the gear review. so watch the video and decide to buy.

1 hour ago, Leo said:

@coopaloop1234 I like my SLR set. no problem with Vaughn. just want to try something different

I really don't what angle gloves am I using. here is the picture.

The SLR2 glove you're using is a 75 degree, thumb to finger closure. Though, every brand has a different feel to their breaks. Similar gloves will be: CCM 600, Bauer Ultrasonic, Warrior RGT2 + G5, Vaughn Velocity (not the XP).

I'm not too familiar with Brian's gloves as they use a different measurement on break angles, but I think the Gnetik is closer to that angle over the Optik (citation needed).

Any pad you get now a days will seal fine. What it really comes down to is how much boot flex you want, torsional flex, strapping options, and aesthetics.

SLR2 has decent boot flex so the Optik will be closer to what you're looking for. Ultrasonic pads are going to be a stiff plank of wood attached to the front. You won't get the same give in them.

1 hour ago, Leo said:

@CJ Boiss my knee in right place landing on the stack. yep, I think so. you can see from the picture about my stance.
Maybe because +2 too long for me?  and the pads always landing on the ice when i did the goalie stance. Any thought?

88363670_10213732124092363_9103816257756463104_n.jpg

A 33+1 and a 32+2 will give you the same amount of coverage, but the 33+1 will have a longer shin and move the knee stack closer to your hip ("up" the pad), whereas a 32+2 would take an inch off of the shin and move the knee stack closer to your foot ("down" the pad). If you're currently landing in the centre of a 33+2, you'd probably be landing at the top of the stack in a 32+2.

That said, if you're switching manufacturers, don't count on their sizes to be exactly the same. Ideally you'd try some on in a store before making a decision. There are manufacturer sizing comparison charts floating around, but nothing is better than actually trying the gear on for yourself.

@Leo if you like your SLRs, the Optik 2 will be the closer feeling pad between them and the Ultrasonics, in addition to more flex options if you're going the custom route.  But make sure to only go with a +1 thighrise at most as Brian's tends to have a larger thigh in comparison to other companies (while Vaughn seems to have a shorter by comparison).  Do you have an issue with the thighs on your pads while in your stance, butterfly, or both?  Is there a lot of overlap in your pads when you butterfly? As well you're mentioning that the pads are "landing on the ice" in your stance, do you find that it's not allowing you to get low enough or causing you to lose your edge?  If so, it could be how you have the strapped on your skate.  Do you wear the boot strap tight?  If you drop down a pad size (33 to 32) and let them sit higher on the skate may help remedy some of this.

Both pads will seal the ice without issue.

And to contradict @coopaloop1234, i believe that the Optik glove will be a closer comparison to your SLR glove (in addition to those other ones he mentioned) instead of the Gnetik.  Maybe we can get someone else to weigh in and break the tie.

14 minutes ago, Lurch said:

And to contradict @coopaloop1234, i believe that the Optik glove will be a closer comparison to your SLR glove (in addition to those other ones he mentioned) instead of the Gnetik.  Maybe we can get someone else to weigh in and break the tie.

Contradict away, I'm not too familiar on the differences between the Optik and Gnetik gloves.

20 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The SLR2 glove you're using is a 75 degree, thumb to finger closure. Though, every brand has a different feel to their breaks. Similar gloves will be: CCM 600, Bauer Ultrasonic, Warrior RGT2 + G5, Vaughn Velocity (not the XP).

I'm not too familiar with Brian's gloves as they use a different measurement on break angles, but I think the Gnetik is closer to that angle over the Optik (citation needed).

Any pad you get now a days will seal fine. What it really comes down to is how much boot flex you want, torsional flex, strapping options, and aesthetics.

SLR2 has decent boot flex so the Optik will be closer to what you're looking for. Ultrasonic pads are going to be a stiff plank of wood attached to the front. You won't get the same give in them.

@coopaloop1234 Thank for answer my question. finally I know what angle of my glove. really appreciate. if I stick to vaughn, probably will go for V9. because of when SLR2 came out, It was release too close to SLR. and I think the only big changed between 1 and 2. only different is Quickslide. even on the bad ice, still can slide. so I won't go for it. 

19 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

A 33+1 and a 32+2 will give you the same amount of coverage, but the 33+1 will have a longer shin and move the knee stack closer to your hip ("up" the pad), whereas a 32+2 would take an inch off of the shin and move the knee stack closer to your foot ("down" the pad). If you're currently landing in the centre of a 33+2, you'd probably be landing at the top of the stack in a 32+2.

That said, if you're switching manufacturers, don't count on their sizes to be exactly the same. Ideally you'd try some on in a store before making a decision. There are manufacturer sizing comparison charts floating around, but nothing is better than actually trying the gear on for yourself.

@CJ Boiss Well I also want to go retail goalie to put it on and fit the size. but there is no any shop in East of Asia. I am a Taiwanese. but now work in Thailand as a goalie coach. but I will think your suggestion about pad size. because of that's the most important thing for custom goalie gear. the glove even made wrong can be used to. but not the pads. 

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

@Leo if you like your SLRs, the Optik 2 will be the closer feeling pad between them and the Ultrasonics, in addition to more flex options if you're going the custom route.  But make sure to only go with a +1 thighrise at most as Brian's tends to have a larger thigh in comparison to other companies (while Vaughn seems to have a shorter by comparison).  Do you have an issue with the thighs on your pads while in your stance, butterfly, or both?  Is there a lot of overlap in your pads when you butterfly? As well you're mentioning that the pads are "landing on the ice" in your stance, do you find that it's not allowing you to get low enough or causing you to lose your edge?  If so, it could be how you have the strapped on your skate.  Do you wear the boot strap tight?  If you drop down a pad size (33 to 32) and let them sit higher on the skate may help remedy some of this.

Both pads will seal the ice without issue.

Hi @Lurch thanks I will keep +1" in my mind.
not really have issue with my stance and butterfly. 
The edge is ok. I remove my boot strap after the first time when I use SLR. haha it been shot and the part gone.
here is some picture of my pads. maybe you can give me some suggestions. Actually I have no issue about can't seal ice. Lefevre are pretty nice, but I would like to wait for 2nd generations coming up.
here is my game on youtube. hope you can give me some suggestions to help me to choose my next gear. 

118786550_742510032976908_5590190613849650379_n.jpg

118653717_2740830632911818_4213162751497367510_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

I use Bauer pads and they are super light and they slide amazing in all ice conditions. they are also very stiff pads which I like. I know that Brians pads slide good on clean ice but get worse as the ice gets worse. if you like a more flexible pad then you should like the Brians pads better.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, Lurch said:

Neither glove is exactly close.  I'd say Optik is more like a 590 and Gnetik IV is closer to a 600.  Matching them up with Vaughn gloves I'd say Optik2 is a slightly better version of the VE8/V9 XP and Gnetik is pretty darn similar to the Ve8/V9 two piece glove.   Neither Brians or Bauer is going to have a glove that feels overly similar to the SLR. 

As far as an overall recommendation I'd steer you towards the Brian's Optik 2's in a FLY or MAX core.   They'll be more forgiving than the Bauer setup and their craftsmanship is second to none.   The Bauer's aren't a bad pad in any way, shape or form and they have a big pro following for a reason, but the Brian's will be much less of an adjustment for you and also less of a risk, given that you can't try them on in advance.

Archived