Integrated knee block

ThatCarGuy

This will be an interesting one. This is my first time opening up a leg pad and between school, work, and the occasional pick up game I doubt this will be a quick process. 
The pads undergoing this surgery are Vaughn LT88s. Very very flexible pads after years of use but definitely still a butterfly pad. 
AFA47FFF-4B04-4E5C-80C1-215ACE4245DD.thumb.jpeg.a1225467f745cfe402104b59058867f5.jpeg
The idea is simple: put two L shaped pieces of lexan around the pad’s core and knee block connecting them together and making it very difficult to bend.

EBC340C9-713A-4092-9966-E51009C8B911.thumb.jpeg.2f05bd6538c5d18a5c0f3e38d3011b0f.jpeg

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

So something like Bauer's new line.

Different ways to achieve the same goal yes. My plan will sandwich the core rather than run through it. It’s meant to be cheaper and easier than bauers method. 
976E6949-84EC-41D1-8CD3-CF49DAF80FC8.thumb.jpeg.bf61957dd9561e7de1fc7a4fab6e9457.jpeg

Pad #1 has been opened at the cost of a thumb

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Pretty much yes but minus the part where you cut into the core itself. I’m trying to make something that I can use on any leg pad

Lexan is cut to the right lengths just need to bend it and then lace the pad back up. 

then I recommend that you make one large L for the entire length and width of the knee block and the width of the pad, grasping both rows of lacingprof-4.thumb.jpeg.ed1fce357a986137c7299dfc881f203d.jpeg

also I would recommend using not lexan for this, because it is quite tough and fragile. it is best to use polyethylene 3mm

Edited by ser33

5 hours ago, ser33 said:

then I recommend that you make one large L for the entire length and width of the knee block and the width of the pad, grasping both rows of lacingprof-4.thumb.jpeg.ed1fce357a986137c7299dfc881f203d.jpeg

also I would recommend using not lexan for this, because it is quite tough and fragile. it is best to use polyethylene 3mm

@ser33  Assuming this is your pad, what are you using as a professor strap in this pic?  Is it one that you made?  I’m very curious. 

6 hours ago, ser33 said:

Unfortunately I already bought and cut the lexan and will begin shaping today. Using both rows of lacing was already the plan but thank you. I’ll be using two pieces of lexan per knee block if that helps

2 hours ago, Deltadre said:

@ser33  Assuming this is your pad, what are you using as a professor strap in this pic?  Is it one that you made?  I’m very curious. 

No, this is just the first saved photo I come across from Google. I was thinking about installing the professor's strap on my Opt1k and looking for various options

Edited by ser33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Unfortunately I already bought and cut the lexan and will begin shaping today. Using both rows of lacing was already the plan but thank you. I’ll be using two pieces of lexan per knee block if that helps

Be sure to take a photo of the whole process and share with us))

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Project has been delayed due to a lack of tools as well as some other issues that can’t be spoken of yet. I’ll still be around on this site just likely not as much. Thank you for your patience. 

Lost a "leg" in the process, couldn't "stand" it anymore. 

:D;) lolll

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Project has been delayed due to a lack of tools as well as some other issues that can’t be spoken of yet. I’ll still be around on this site just likely not as much. Thank you for your patience. 

While you are in there, you could put some thin sheet plastic in the face? Might stiffen up an old pad

Assuming this works, then what? are you going to wear these?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Assuming this works, then what? are you going to wear these?

If I have enough leftover lexan I’ll use it to stiffen the thigh. These are just for proof of concept. If the idea works I might put it into other leg pads I like that lack a sturdy knee block

10 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If I have enough leftover lexan I’ll use it to stiffen the thigh. These are just for proof of concept. If the idea works I might put it into other leg pads I like that lack a sturdy knee block

I know you are looking at Axis. If you saw my recent IG post, it's coming in Axis 2. Given you are younger and playing very competitive hockey, any chance you are better off waiting for a more commercial solution to come on online?

58 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I know you are looking at Axis. If you saw my recent IG post, it's coming in Axis 2. Given you are younger and playing very competitive hockey, any chance you are better off waiting for a more commercial solution to come on online?

I’ll likely end up buying a pad with a new style knee block anyways but this project was more to keep me busy and experiment with what I can do to a pad

13 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’ll likely end up buying a pad with a new style knee block anyways but this project was more to keep me busy and experiment with what I can do to a pad

fair enough! I love topics like this

Just wanted to make sure we didn't mess with something too much when you're trying for college or what not

26 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

fair enough! I love topics like this

Just wanted to make sure we didn't mess with something too much when you're trying for college or what not

I haven’t got a clue where I’m playing this season. I have my previous tier 3 junior hockey offer and two acha D3 offers that’s really about it. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

On 4/20/2021 at 6:07 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

your thread motivated me to return to my forgotten project a year ago, the photo of which I showed above and transfer the concept of an integrated knee block to real Brian's Opt1k pad

if anyone is interested in this, I will make a detailed report upon completion of the work

Edited by ser33
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

That's how the Heatons and Smiths and Millers etc all started ;) 

6 hours ago, ser33 said:

your thread motivated me to return to my forgotten project a year ago, the photo of which I showed above and transfer the concept of an integrated knee block to real Brian's Opt1k pad

if anyone is interested in this, I will make a detailed report upon completion of the work

Have it on my desk by 8am tomorrow
Have You Seen My Stapler? | Secret Entourage

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2