Knee pad and goalie pad model/brand relationship

RichMan

As I've been reading on the subject of knee pads lately, and trying on different brands and models, I came to realize that not all knee pads and goalie pads are compatible. This especially applies to the newer more bulky knee pads of the past decade (Warrior, CCM, Brian's) and with the new methods of strapping or in some cases the absence of on newer goalie pads.

Just this weekend I was able to try on some Warrior 2X Pro+ knee pads with my Bauer 9000 pads. I purposely strapped up the knee lock, loosely, to see how it would work out. As expected, the knee pads took a lot of room in the cradle which in turn interfered with the pad's ability to square back to front facing after coming out of my butterfly. I have to admit though that my 5 whole was pleasantly sealed, even with my narrow butterfly. 

My current knee pads being used are the Bauer 1X Vapors. The knee cap, although a little bit space hungry, doesn't compare much in size to the Warriors. The Vapors fit well in the cradle and haven't given me any issues other than the occasional inner thigh bruise (good sized thighs I have). In the past, I have worn Brown knee pads which are fairly minimalist but still protective, and I've also sported in the past some ReasonY specials and some Luongo model knee guards (PAW makes a nice copy) and some D&R KPs and also Some Coopers of which the model name escapes me.  

For the most part I've always had goalie pads with regular sized knee cradles. The only ever open knee cradle I've used was from an old Vaughn Velocity in which I cut out the knee lock altogether and only used the leather knee strap to keep everything close and working, and that it did.

With what is out right now, you can see how the top pro knee pads are much bulkier and given how the trend for wider knee cradles will permit such knee pads to work in conjunction.

What conclusions have you come up with that you can testify as to say "this brand/model of knee pad works...or doesn't work with this brand/model goalie pad"?

• 1 year later...

Apparently these are the Vapor 1X replacements for 2022 with a better hinge system for more mobility.

Bauer Senior Elite Hockey Goalie Knee Pads

I do agree from experience that there was room for improvement. Has anyone tried them yet?

Edited by RichMan

32 minutes ago, DL42 said:

its not the knee pads , its the leg pads,  u r not supposed to buy pads with all the knee calf junk in the first place and if u do u cut that all out and throw it in the trash.  

What knee calf junk are you talking about? BTW, I use Warrior Ritual X Pro knee pads with my Bauer 2S Pro leg pads, and they seem to work well so far. 

1 hour ago, DL42 said:

its not the knee pads , its the leg pads,  u r not supposed to buy pads with all the knee calf junk in the first place and if u do u cut that all out and throw it in the trash.  

My GT2 pads don't have much "junk" in the knee cradle and I like to wear my pads traditionally with the knee lock to get a better connection with the pads. I would of suggested a few mods to the Warrior development team if they were open to hearing it.