Lower back injury

Hey guys, last Tuesday [may 4th] I lifted a case of water in and out of a shopping cart and in and out of the trunk. The next morning 2am i could barely move. Took 8 minutes to get off the bed and to the bathroom. Excruciating pain. I'd guess I'm 80% back to feeling normal.. have been doing exercises stretching it out, heat pads, ice packs and tylenol.  It's said to exercise a bad back within reason and playing goalie right now is unreasonable imo. 

I really miss hockey but am going to sit out another week. Plus this stupid pipeline cyberattack has gas stations running dry of fuel and the rinks I go to aren't real close. Trying to conserve to be on the safe side.  

https://www.hss.edu/playbook/back-injuries-hockey-players-causes-treatment-prevention/

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

Hey guys, last Tuesday [may 4th] I lifted a case of water in and out of a shopping cart and in and out of the trunk. The next morning 2am i could barely move. Took 8 minutes to get off the bed and to the bathroom. Excruciating pain. I'd guess I'm 80% back to feeling normal.. have been doing exercises stretching it out, heat pads, ice packs and tylenol.  It's said to exercise a bad back within reason and playing goalie right now is unreasonable imo. 

I really miss hockey but am going to sit out another week. Plus this stupid pipeline cyberattack has gas stations running dry of fuel and the rinks I go to aren't real close. Trying to conserve to be on the safe side.  

https://www.hss.edu/playbook/back-injuries-hockey-players-causes-treatment-prevention/

Make sure you take some time to get it checked out when you can.

Injuries (especially to the core/back/hips) can have cascading effects due to compensation which you may not feel until months later.

Stick taps, hope you feel better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The earlier post wasn't too accurate.. I hurt myself May 3rd and when i said i was feeling 80% .. , well at that time of that post it was more like 60% .. 

I now feel 90% better.. with the help of stretching and getting up and moving.. working actually.  Unfortunately I've had to work through all this. 

I tried holding off on taking any kind of drug but broke down and bought a small bottle of Aleve Back and Muscle Pain. I took 1 tablet a couple days ago and it seemed to really help. If any of you are thinking about an otc medication for back pain you may want to try it. 

The best part of this is I'm getting excited about seeing the rink again and playing. 

Check with your Doctor before taking any medications 

Edited by Scythe

Glad to hear it. Those kind of weird injuries like you described, from lifting something heavy or in an awkward way, usually go away by themselves in a couple of days, or worst case weeks. Yea, stretching is good for those. I also try to avoid medication, unless absolutely necessary, since that doesn't treat the root cause, just masks the symptoms.

I had some chronic knee pains a while back. I could play, but it would really bother me. I'd only take painkillers when I had a game.  My wife's parents are doctors in Ukraine, so I got some good stuff, I think it was some kind of semi-legal snake venom or something. Whatever it was, I felt no pain. You could probably shoot me with a .45 and I'd still keep playing 😄

Check with your Doctor and Lawyer before taking any Ukrainian medications

• Haha 3

On 5/24/2021 at 5:29 AM, Scythe said:

The earlier post wasn't too accurate.. I hurt myself May 3rd and when i said i was feeling 80% .. , well at that time of that post it was more like 60% .. 

I now feel 90% better.. with the help of stretching and getting up and moving.. working actually.  Unfortunately I've had to work through all this. 

I tried holding off on taking any kind of drug but broke down and bought a small bottle of Aleve Back and Muscle Pain. I took 1 tablet a couple days ago and it seemed to really help. If any of you are thinking about an otc medication for back pain you may want to try it. 

The best part of this is I'm getting excited about seeing the rink again and playing. 

Check with your Doctor before taking any medications 

Aleve is the best thing ever made for back pain, pop 2 pills and you're 👍 have a bottle at home. 

• 1 year later...