Change from 4mm to 3mm steel

So- after changing from 5/8” Fire to 1/2” Fire, I was nearly as nimble and definitely had enough grab to play (as poorly) like I do. 3mm steel did not prevent me from closing my 5 hole, 3mm steel did not make me have a delayed reaction to the play. It was down to me, and NOT the steel.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 7:31 PM, bunnyman666 said:

So- after changing from 5/8” Fire to 1/2” Fire, I was nearly as nimble and definitely had enough grab to play (as poorly) like I do. 3mm steel did not prevent me from closing my 5 hole, 3mm steel did not make me have a delayed reaction to the play. It was down to me, and NOT the steel.

Same with me, had to go 1/2 but, not for moi. You sticking with it?

If my 2 cents are of any value; was on 4mm for ever growing up, 3 years ago switched to the 3mm on the vapors (had no choice, biggest skate in the store). First few skates felt weak, but once I changed my sharpening (went from 1/2" to 3/8") and after a few more skates, I actually prefer the thinner blade. Used the 4mm a few times after that for pond hockey and felt like my shuffles, T-pushes and general skating was muddier

3 hours ago, dretti33 said:

If my 2 cents are of any value; was on 4mm for ever growing up, 3 years ago switched to the 3mm on the vapors (had no choice, biggest skate in the store). First few skates felt weak, but once I changed my sharpening (went from 1/2" to 3/8") and after a few more skates, I actually prefer the thinner blade. Used the 4mm a few times after that for pond hockey and felt like my shuffles, T-pushes and general skating was muddier

That is actually what I am wondering myself.

On the 4mm steel I just prepared for my skates, I went back to 5/8” Fire (Sparx sharpening) and stock profile. If it feels like going home, the 3mm steel will be used for the fake rink in the basement. If 4mm feels sluggish, then 4mm will be used in the basement. Either way, I will be switching steel periodically, taking FULL advantage of the CCM XSG quick change retention mechanism.

Stay tuned for the results…

Edited by bunnyman666

3mm steel has officially been relegated to plastic ice. It really didn’t feel that much different, yet when I got back onto 4mm steel, it instantly felt better. I could get purchase easier to dig in and move in the crease whilst on my knees. Shuffles felt better. I can even play the puck easier as I felt planted. In the end, I never imagined that one tiny millimetre could make this much difference.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

3mm steel has officially been relegated to plastic ice. It really didn’t feel that much different, yet when I got back onto 4mm steel, it instantly felt better. I could get purchase easier to dig in and move in the crease whilst on my knees. Shuffles felt better. I can even play the puck easier as I felt planted. In the end, I never imagined that one tiny millimetre could make this much difference.

Stay home, it's better 👍👍😁