Change from 4mm to 3mm steel

With this change to cowlingless, I am going to try 3mm steel. I have Fatblades coming, as well. Couldn’t find them in black, so my trusty buddy in CT will be coating them in September (when he’s able to do it). I may try them in the meantime as he will coat new or used blades. I am a huge fan of coated steel as it does help retain an edge.

I have a slight trepidation about going to skinny steel. Yes, it is one stinkin’ millimetre. We may be very well talking a princess and the pea difference. But there are enough people that want that extra millimetre that Step went to the trouble of adding a spine that goes into a 3mm holder to 4mm steel. 

So for those who are in holders rather than cowlings: did you stay with 3mm steel or did you try to track down some fatblades? Or did you find no discernible difference? Please and thank you.

9 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I have 4mm in my trues. I tried a pair of Bauer 1x which had 3mm and it didnt go well for many reasons, namely skates being loose due to eyelet problems. was like a baby deer on ice.

I havent tried 3mm since

My Trues had 4mm, so nothing ever changed, even when I went from holders to cowls. The saddest part is that I could easily see me going back to cowls if I get that freakish hit to my feet. I have a fresh pair of Vaughn cowls with about five pair of steels just in case. 

It seems that once you have bad luck with something, you won’t go back. For that, I don’t blame you.

20 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

My Trues had 4mm, so nothing ever changed, even when I went from holders to cowls. The saddest part is that I could easily see me going back to cowls if I get that freakish hit to my feet. I have a fresh pair of Vaughn cowls with about five pair of steels just in case. 

It seems that once you have bad luck with something, you won’t go back. For that, I don’t blame you.

I havent had any issues going cowlingless, with bad shots or anything. Trues toecap seems pretty solid and so far has been for me. 

Ill probably try 3mm with a profile in a couple of weeks, have the steel just need to put it on, but ive been getting my legs underneath me still.

@bunnyman666 keep putting up posts at this record rate and we're going to have to declare a Bunnyman666's Posts Day :D 

When I first went no-cowling with the Vapors, it was an automatic 3mm. I tried to get used to them for 2 seasons and something was missing. I got me some 4mm Stepsteel blades during the lockdown and after 2 sessions, my only complaint is them not being sharp enough. And I even had a profile done on them. I'll do a light sweet stick pass on them to see if that helps. Sure thing is that my feet feel a little more stable or anchored in them. Having just come back to the ice after 16 months off doesn't help matters much either lolll

Edited by RichMan
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RichMan said:

@bunnyman666 keep putting up posts at this record rate and we're going to have to declare a Bunnyman666's Posts Day :D 

When I first went no-cowling with the Vapors, it was an automatic 3mm. I tried to get used to them for 2 seasons and something was missing. I got me some 4mm Stepsteel blades during the lockdown and after 2 sessions, my only complaint is them not being sharp enough. And I even had a profile done on them. I'll do a light sweet stick pass on them to see if that helps. Sure thing is that my feet feel a little more stable or anchored in them. Having just come back to the ice after 16 months off doesn't help matters much either lolll

There are certain entities that would never recognise me, let alone celebrate me, but thank you.

I will say the biggest adjustment my sharpening customers have made is that you need to go to a deeper hollow once you’ve gone back to 4mm after 3mm. I can DEFINITELY see that. I am still using a 5/8” Fire on my 3mm steel as I like to grind mine with 1 1/4” ROH for five passes (since I don’t have an X-grind wheel), then ten passes with my desired hollow. I may find 5/8 Fire too deep on 3mm steel. Some of my customers are super-in tune with hollows; others just want “whatever works”. 

I guess what I am saying is that you may want to jump to the next hollow on your skates.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

2 ice sessions on the 3mm was enough to go back to 4mm. 

Wow.

Glad I didn’t go with Bauer holders. The crummy steel was one thing, but the lack of 4mm is an entirely new ball of wax.  I am wondering if the 3mm makes it harder to shuffle. I am firmly in the hybrid camp of tendies. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Wow.

Glad I didn’t go with Bauer holders. The crummy steel was one thing, but the lack of 4mm is an entirely new ball of wax.  I am wondering if the 3mm makes it harder to shuffle. I am firmly in the hybrid camp of tendies. 

Shuffles, t-pushes were all uncomfortable or awkward in my 3mm 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

I've never used 3mm steel, but when I was given the option, I stuck with 4mm. It just feels good so why switch. 

Looking forward to your review and reading your thoughts on your 3mm/4mm experiences.

I want to be open minded. 

17 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I've never used 3mm steel, but when I was given the option, I stuck with 4mm. It just feels good so why switch. 

Looking forward to your review and reading your thoughts on your 3mm/4mm experiences.

This is the issue with skates in the industry, as new products are developed, the customer doesn't get the option. It's a "here is what we have because it's the new trend" approach. It's most likely a financial decision otherwise Bauer/CCM would offer that option for their blades. This is where True will get new customers, and why blade only companies exist.

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

This is the issue with skates in the industry, as new products are developed, the customer doesn't get the option. It's a "here is what we have because it's the new trend" approach. It's most likely a financial decision otherwise Bauer/CCM would offer that option for their blades. This is where True will get new customers, and why blade only companies exist.

100%. Add this to the experiment Mike Vaughn started with two cowling sizes for a full range of skates and is in full implementation with CCM’s three or four holder sizes and you know it is an economical decision. If I weren’t at the upper end of the sizing, I probably would have ordered the new True holder.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

100%. Add this to the experiment Mike Vaughn started with two cowling sizes for a full range of skates and is in full implementation with CCM’s three or four holder sizes and you know it is an economical decision. If I weren’t at the upper end of the sizing, I probably would have ordered the new True holder.

I am VERY interested in int the TF9? by True. They say 4mm option available. Waiting for more first hand feedback.

45 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I am VERY interested in int the TF9? by True. They say 4mm option available. Waiting for more first hand feedback.

I don’t think they burnt their bridges with Step, so likely a 4mm option is available. I won’t touch Bauer with a 10’ pole because you can’t get Step for that holder. Well, that and the retention mechanism scares the bejeezus out of me. 

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I don’t think they burnt their bridges with Step, so likely a 4mm option is available. I won’t touch Bauer with a 10’ pole because you can’t get Step for that holder. Well, that and the retention mechanism scares the bejeezus out of me. 

I got Fat Blades from Step for my Bauer Vertexx...??

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I got Fat Blades from Step for my Bauer Vertexx...??

Buy them up. Buy as many as possible. 

Bauer and Step came to a settlement and Step will no longer make blades that fit the Vertexx/LS holders. The Fatblades for Bauer were never available in the USA unless you got them through a Canadian dealer who is willing to ship.