Advice on gear

Netnewbie

So the more I read the less I am certain what I will need or suite me.  First off a little about me, 6"3' and a robust 300 pounds.  Played out for most of my hockey career but our rec team needed a goalie for this season and was smart enough to volunteer.  I have played goal last year for the Sledge hockey team I play on and thought I would enjoy stand up.  I love every minute of it from the warm-up to the break aways I can't stop to the post he banter.  Now to the meat of my post, I am borrowing gear right now but have a chesty but will need to purchase gear.  I am fairly moblie but have trouble closing the 5 hole in the butterfly so what should I look for in pads?  Anything that will make it easier for me what's worked for you anything to avoid ect.  If you got any experience that you'd like to share I'm all ears.  Any help or guidance would be awesome!

Thanks

Steve

To help with getting you in properly sized pads we're going to need to know your ankle to knee(ATK) measurement.  Here is a video explaining how to get that, I think lol.  I am at work and the sound is blocked from our computers so I honestly have no idea what this guy is saying.  Once you have the proper sizing you need to figure out what type of pad you prefer.  A softer, more flexible pad similar to a Vaughn Velocity/CCM Extreme Flex/Brian's Gnetik/etc or if you prefer more of a stiff pad similar to a Vaughn Ventus/CCM Premier/Brian's Subzero/etc.

With gloves you need to figure out what your preferred break angle is(how your hand closes the glove).  Do you prefer closing fingers to thumb or fingers to palm?

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

To help with getting you in properly sized pads we're going to need to know your ankle to knee(ATK) measurement.  Here is a video explaining how to get that, I think lol.  I am at work and the sound is blocked from our computers so I honestly have no idea what this guy is saying.  Once you have the proper sizing you need to figure out what type of pad you prefer.  A softer, more flexible pad similar to a Vaughn Velocity/CCM Extreme Flex/Brian's Gnetik/etc or if you prefer more of a stiff pad similar to a Vaughn Ventus/CCM Premier/Brian's Subzero/etc.

With gloves you need to figure out what your preferred break angle is(how your hand closes the glove).  Do you prefer closing fingers to thumb or fingers to palm?

I will try to get I later in the day.  Thanks

Archived