WTB: A hard neck guard

Getting to many head and throat hunters during practice. Can't use the new neck guard because they have literally no protection. I have used the Bauer S18 neck guard, absolute dog crap. I know Nhl goalies wear old neck guards as they are harder, looking to fin a decent one.

Edited by Windmill save

• Windmill save changed the title to Know a place where I can get a hard neck guard.
3 hours ago, Desert Tendy said:

Try Kova.  I have never worn one but a lot of folks like them.  I myself prefer Passau gel neck guard.

I have a kova, it's one of those hard ones you like and you can also get extra jell if you like. You can customize colors too which is nice. I don't get hit in that area much but did take a puck to the neck maybe 3 months ago which saved me...still felt it but I was alright. Some how it snuck up there. 

Edited by mr_shifty1982

I use a Maltese, but Passau or Eco Pro are very similar in construction. All are pretty flexible yet provide great protect for lower neck and clavicle. Kova will be very stiff in comparison but a great protective choice as well. If you're getting hit any higher on the neck than these typically go (1 1/2" up your neck) my suggestion would be doubling up with a dangler.

6 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I use a Maltese, but Passau or Eco Pro are very similar in construction. All are pretty flexible yet provide great protect for lower neck and clavicle. Kova will be very stiff in comparison but a great protective choice as well. If you're getting hit any higher on the neck than these typically go (1 1/2" up your neck) my suggestion would be doubling up with a dangler.

Thanks, I didn't wear a dangler until a few week ago, but even my 3 NECK GUARDS couldn't stop a puck from hurting my throat. So i wear 3 neck guards and a dangler.

5 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Aegis makes what IMO is the best neck guard available. I have taken shots that missed my chest protector and hit me directly in the clavicle area or neck and I didn’t even get a bruise. 

Thanks. I have heard or Aegis and they us D3O, but i haven't tried one on. I'll give it a try. 

I wear a dangler to catch pucks, and a player neckguard for cut protection.

I hate the feeling of my chest protector interacting with the additional clavicle protection that goalie neckguards have; never had a puck slip past my dangler, and I've never had issues with my chest protector covering my clavicle, so I don't feel like I need it anyways.

I used to not wear any kind of neckguard, but then I had one clown blow through my crease at full speed when I was belly-down on the ice. The heel of his skate kicked up and the runner caught me full on the side of the neck. I got really lucky to not contact the blade.

Just bought an Aegis Interceptor, it should be delivered tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I wear a dangler to catch pucks, and a player neckguard for cut protection.

I hate the feeling of my chest protector interacting with the additional clavicle protection that goalie neckguards have; never had a puck slip past my dangler, and I've never had issues with my chest protector covering my clavicle, so I don't feel like I need it anyways.

I used to not wear any kind of neckguard, but then I had one clown blow through my crease at full speed when I was belly-down on the ice. The heel of his skate kicked up and the runner caught me full on the side of the neck. I got really lucky to not contact the blade.

Just bought an Aegis Interceptor, it should be delivered tomorrow.

So aegis neck guard should be the way to go

Would anyone or you recommend anything else?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Windmill save said:

So aegis neck guard should be the way to go

Would anyone or you recommend anything else?

Well, if I get it in time to wear for my game tomorrow I'll let you know how it feels. But yeah, Kevlar and d3O is pretty much the tops in terms of cut and impact protection.

Edited by CJ Boiss

On 11/23/2021 at 3:05 PM, Windmill save said:

Thanks

Shipping got delayed a week. Anyways, wearing it right now as I sit at home. First impression: it's quite comfortable, more so than I was expecting from a neckguard with a D3O insert. I'll update after my game tonight.

[EDIT] Update: I like the neckguard. I found it vaguely irritating between plays, but didn't notice it when the puck was in my end and I was focusing on the puck. That'll go away eventually, as I get used to the feeling. Otherwise, very comfortable. Didn't take any shots there but I know it'll be a damn sight better than the soft neckguard I was using. I'd feel pretty comfortable playing without a dangler, wearing that neckguard.

Edited by CJ Boiss