Bauer Vapor XXX Pads

goaliemax

• goaliemax changed the title to Bauer Vapor XXX Pads

I don't think you should get too hung up on the concept of "a certain kind of pad means I play a certain kind of way". I have issues with trying to define what a certain style of play actually means, because at the end of the day, we should be concentrating on what techniques work for us as individuals. Those techniques and our preferences might then dictate our equipment choices...and most definitely not the other way around.

Please don't take offense when I say this because I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm kind of getting the vibe that these might be your first pair of pads and you might be playing goalie for the first time. If that's the case, I advise you to just focus on the fundamentals. Stay square to the puck, keep your eyes open, and practice good skating movement fundamentals. As you learn and play more, you'll be able to make better choice about your technique. This experience in turn, will also help guide you through your next equipment choices.

• Like 2

OP was asking about the characteristics of the pads. I think he wanted to know if Vapors are pads that are more flexible and give off softer rebounds (hybrid) or stiffer pads that send rebounds further away (butterfly). I chose CCM Premier II Pros to send my rebounds further away because I was annoyed at how often I'd have soft rebounds off my old Brian's Demons pads. Pad characteristics may not influence your style, but they may make a difference in how you play. I was a blocking goalie before I bought my Premier II Pros, but the pads certainly do help me in playing a blocking style. 

40 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

OP was asking about the characteristics of the pads. I think he wanted to know if Vapors are pads that are more flexible and give off softer rebounds (hybrid) or stiffer pads that send rebounds further away (butterfly). I chose CCM Premier II Pros to send my rebounds further away because I was annoyed at how often I'd have soft rebounds off my old Brian's Demons pads. Pad characteristics may not influence your style, but they may make a difference in how you play. I was a blocking goalie before I bought my Premier II Pros, but the pads certainly do help me in playing a blocking style. 

Love the P2s, my favorite pad to date! Wish they just made it a little more stiff on top and updated it instead of releasing the Axis because I'm not as big of a fan.

Fleury demoed the original Vapors (later subtly tweaked and rebranded Vapor XXX) when he was at Canada's WJC camp, if that answers your question

Pads are fine.  Heavy by today's standard - they used memory foam in the face to deaden rebounds.  Very marshmallow-y pads if you like that feel.

Don't think you need to get caught up in terminology (butterfly vs hybrid).  Modern goalies make something like 90% of their saves with at least one knee on the ice.  Just play and have fun, if you realize you want something else out of your gear later then make the change.

• Like 1

As someone who wore these pads for years, you can go either way. They are mostly a hybrid pad that helps with the butterfly if you prefer to make butterfly saves in them. They are tapered at the top, so you need to keep the stick down no matter what. I used them as hybrid pads and a blocking pad when scrambles happened in front. They are very soft, very soft. rebounds die right in front for other players to score on. Since they weren't traditional butterfly pads, the puck would find ways through regardless of how well positioned you were.

After years of wearing mine, I went to a more modern butterfly pad (Warrior g4's) and immediately noticed the benefits. More unpredictable and far out rebounds, more surface area to block, more seal to the ice / rink and less pucks squeeking in through the thight rise and calf.

My advice, use em- I loved em. Play and determine if they work for you and when your ready- find the best pad that suits your game.