Eflex 5.9 issues

Phil1p33

Hey everyone, a little over a month ago I picked up a set of EF5.9 pads. I got to use them for about 10 skates before I noticed that the stitching holding in the left knee block was coming loose and the block was separating from the pad (there was about a 1/4 inch gap between the block and pad). Took them into my LHS and they did a replacement for me. Last night I skated in the new pads for the first time and when I got home I noticed that this time, the right knee block is starting to separate from the pad now.

I’ve had a set of axis 1.9s since last September and I haven’t had any knee block issues. My plan was to do a custom order for EF5s here soon but now I’m questioning that decision based on the quality of the two sets I’ve used. Just curious to know if anyone else has heard about issues like this or if this is pretty normal for EF?

Added couple pics to show the separation. First one is the new set with one skate, right pad. Second pic is the old set left pad.

EA69CD9C-2382-4A9B-BA2E-DE4D7C532090.jpeg

E02212FC-46C2-4764-AA95-08BDC24480AE.jpeg

From what I see there is a lot of excess lace only that could be tightened out and nothing is actually broken. If that lace is the structural lace of the pad then it might be difficult to pull out all of the slack and get it sealed out with a knot. But still shouldn't be a major problem anyway and more of a manufacturing/quality issue that should be sorted out by CCM QC.

If it was designed by me I'd definitely have a separate lace for the knee block attachment to sort this kind of issue and be able to open up or tighten things when needed.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 3

@ArdeFIN I agree, if they weren't still under warranty I'd fiddle with them and pull that slack but didn't really want to go that route with only having one skate with them. Ended up taking them back to my LHS and getting a refund. It sounds like after my first visit they called around and heard others reporting similar issues with the 5.9's so hopefully the custom 5's go down a different production line. 

@ilyazhito both sets were returned within 30 days but I believe CCM has a 90 day warranty 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

Both sets were returned within 30 days but I believe CCM has a 90 day warranty 

So did you end up getting something completely different? Or back into Axis? How did you like the (short) transition from Axis to EF? Should be a bit different feel in them.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:09 PM, ilyazhito said:

What made you choose these pads in the first place? I'm asking, because if you are repeatedly getting issues with defective pads from the same line, maybe you could try to find a different line of pads with similar characteristics. 

I wanted to try a softer pad. I had looked at Vaughans as well but felt more familiar with CCM.

18 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

So did you end up getting something completely different? Or back into Axis? How did you like the (short) transition from Axis to EF? Should be a bit different feel in them.

I ended up finding a custom EF5 set that was close to 90% what I would order if I did custom myself so I had to pull the trigger. Honestly was sold on the EFs after my first skate. Felt like they slid better than my Axis and I felt a lot more mobile in them. I love my Axis pads but they’ve always had this “clunky” feel to them. Excited to see if I can feel any real differences between the 5s and the 5.9s.

• Like 1