New to Public Shinny for Goalies (ICE) - How does this work?

OldSchoolGoalie

I'm going to start Ice Hockey in a week or so as I've been playing inline for around a decade. How do these public shinny groups manage with goalies? I've seen a few public rec centres which require registration and only allow a maximum of 4 goalies, while others don't have an online form, the goalies just show up with no max listed.

For the centres with 4 goalies they play for an hour so I did call and asked how it works, do the goalies play 30 minutes each or something? The answer I got was it is up to the goalies what happens. Most of the time I either see 2 or 3 goalies booked, rarely a full 4, so not really a problem - but not everyone books online so even if I see 2 open spots people can still come regardless.

The other centres are 2 hours of time and no registration for goalies, you just go to the rink and get a wrist band then off to the dressing room and off the to ice after. Probably more manageable with subs, assuming not a lot of goalies come out.

During my inline pick up it was 2 goalies max, and we played for a few hours. We did have a backup list just in the event of a last minute cancelation, but never actually had goalie subs. I'm new to this public scene as all my games were private invite only groups, but I found it odd to have to haul all my gear to the rink to maybe play 15-30 minutes in net or less. Wasn't sure if this is the norm? Thankfully there are lots of rinks so I can try to pick one where there are either 3 or 4 open spots for goalie and see what happens. The late night ones always look open.

• Like 1

Easiest approach, put some ads up in rinks "looking for some ice time" or search groups on Facebook that focus in your city. Once you get out there, if you're a level headed guy, word will spread and you'll get some calls here and there and maybe even become a regular for one of them. 

The drop ins you mention always finish with one too many a goalie and it gets complicated let alone frustrating and some like to argue, so...not my cup of tea.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

For the centres with 4 goalies they play for an hour so I did call and asked how it works, do the goalies play 30 minutes each or something? The answer I got was it is up to the goalies what happens. Most of the time I either see 2 or 3 goalies booked, rarely a full 4, so not really a problem - but not everyone books online so even if I see 2 open spots people can still come regardless.

Like they say, the goalies will work it out themselves. If three goalies, the most common method is to do a rotation like this, swapping positions every 10 to 15 minutes.

Rotation.thumb.png.72a20018e47c2c58df31d50118cee3ac.png

If 4 goalies, you usually see a pair of goalies picking a side and swapping between themselves every 10 to 15 minutes. Often there is no rotating down to the opposite end, but again, that's something you can discuss with the other tenders.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

The other centres are 2 hours of time and no registration for goalies, you just go to the rink and get a wrist band then off to the dressing room and off the to ice after. Probably more manageable with subs, assuming not a lot of goalies come out.

Nearly all of my local rinks keep a paper list of players/goalies for a pick-up skate, even if they offer online registration. If I want to attend, I just call the rink and ask if they are any goalie spots available for the pick-up. If there are, they write my name down so my spot is reserved. Doing this, I've never had an issue showing up and not having a spot. I've seen other goalies get turned away because they arrived and there were already 4 goalies signed up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Like they say, the goalies will work it out themselves. If three goalies, the most common method is to do a rotation like this, swapping positions every 10 to 15 minutes.

If 4 goalies, you usually see a pair of goalies picking a side and swapping between themselves every 10 to 15 minutes. Often there is no rotating down to the opposite end, but again, that's something you can discuss with the other tenders.

Nearly all of my local rinks keep a paper list of players/goalies for a pick-up skate, even if they offer online registration. If I want to attend, I just call the rink and ask if they are any goalie spots available for the pick-up. If there are, they write my name down so my spot is reserved. Doing this, I've never had an issue showing up and not having a spot. I've seen other goalies get turned away because they arrived and there were already 4 goalies signed up.

I've seen 4 goalies maybe once at a pickup. The most I've usually seen is 3 at a Sunday evening pickup at a rink where that is the main hockey attraction, but I've more often been either the 2nd or only goalie at pickup sessions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Thanks! This makes sense. :) At this point I'm stuck with pick up for now so I'll give it a go. 30 Minutes of play is still better than nothing as I'm just getting into ice from inline.

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

Easiest approach, put some ads up in rinks "looking for some ice time" or search groups on Facebook that focus in your city. Once you get out there, if you're a level headed guy, word will spread and you'll get some calls here and there and maybe even become a regular for one of them. 

The drop ins you mention always finish with one too many a goalie and it gets complicated let alone frustrating and some like to argue, so...not my cup of tea.

I don't have time for any drama with other goalies or anyone for that matter, but I'll see how this works. I would've just went free agent for the winter season, but I might be locked down to a certain schedule for the next month or so. Pick up will have to do for now.

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

I've seen 4 goalies maybe once at a pickup. The most I've usually seen is 3 at a Sunday evening pickup at a rink where that is the main hockey attraction, but I've more often been either the 2nd or only goalie at pickup sessions. 

I have two cities to work with right now, one being 20 mins from my place so lots of options to see where the free spots are, just wasn't sure how this all worked. Now I got a better idea. Ideally I would prefer to tend for 1 hour to 2 hours if possible, but I understand if others show up as well we all got to share the space, I just don't like the idea of driving out, hauling all my stuff, getting dressed, then playing for 15 minutes. 🤷‍♂️

What @RichMan said.  It's pretty much how I started and can confirm that it still is that way.  Be dependable, stay modest, show up on time and ready and you'll soon become a regular call-up, probably even just a regular period.  

Also, as long as you are able to manage expectations, don't be afraid to take games that you feel are above your level.  For one thing, even if you get lit up, you'll definitely be improving, and you'll soon relaize that higher level also means better player & more backcheck.  Essentially, stay square and you'll be left with the easy save most of the time.  Having played 10 years of inline you probably already knew that but it's my experience and I just wanted to throw it out there in case you felt the transition "hurts" your game more than you'd like. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Math. said:

What @RichMan said.  It's pretty much how I started and can confirm that it still is that way.  Be dependable, stay modest, show up on time and ready and you'll soon become a regular call-up, probably even just a regular period.  

Also, as long as you are able to manage expectations, don't be afraid to take games that you feel are above your level.  For one thing, even if you get lit up, you'll definitely be improving, and you'll soon relaize that higher level also means better player & more backcheck.  Essentially, stay square and you'll be left with the easy save most of the time.  Having played 10 years of inline you probably already knew that but it's my experience and I just wanted to throw it out there in case you felt the transition "hurts" your game more than you'd like. 

Great! I'll do a few pick up sessions, and put an ad looking for ice time. Yea, no problem for me playing with higher skill levels. Sometimes I would personally prefer it just because I've found my chances of getting ran down or blasted in the head are higher with less skilled players. Happened a lot when I played with lower div players in inline. Poor skating ability, and the shots just had power and no direction. I also like the challenge! Thanks!

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've played tons of pickup/ shinny. There's even a Shinny USA program out there that organizes weekly games and all all over the place. 

For them - usually there's one person who is the organizer. I'd fill in and then someone would ask if you can come out regularly from there. Shinny USA has a registration thing. The others don't. Some games are private - someone organizes them. But the public - rink ran - are more all over the place.

Playing time - be cool. I'm laid back so there's always one guy who has the playing time all figured out. Makes it easy. Nice to get breaks in games without defense. Also, when you're getting lit up on one side, it's fun to see how fast the other goalie gets lit up when it's his turn in the fire.

I'm a good skater, so changing on the fly is easy and fun. Some of the other guys don't move that well, so you have to help them out with changes.

I liked the 5 goals and change method. This was like a best of 5 series between goalies. So you always wanted to let 2 in max.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MTH said:

I've played tons of pickup/ shinny. There's even a Shinny USA program out there that organizes weekly games and all all over the place. 

For them - usually there's one person who is the organizer. I'd fill in and then someone would ask if you can come out regularly from there. Shinny USA has a registration thing. The others don't. Some games are private - someone organizes them. But the public - rink ran - are more all over the place.

Playing time - be cool. I'm laid back so there's always one guy who has the playing time all figured out. Makes it easy. Nice to get breaks in games without defense. Also, when you're getting lit up on one side, it's fun to see how fast the other goalie gets lit up when it's his turn in the fire.

I'm a good skater, so changing on the fly is easy and fun. Some of the other guys don't move that well, so you have to help them out with changes.

I liked the 5 goals and change method. This was like a best of 5 series between goalies. So you always wanted to let 2 in max.

I'm up north in Canada, and for our city ice we do have a registration page, 4 goalies max.  I did call and ask why it isn't just 2 max for the hour, but didn't get much out of that. I have no problem getting ice time for city ice as there is always a slot when I check before it fills to the 4 max, I just don't like the idea of having 4 goalies for an hour. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it anyhow to get out and meet people and maybe find a regular spot. Right now I play off ice with another group, and I play on ice at Stick and Skate as I haven't found a group yet. Also waiting for inline to start up in spring again, but so far I'm loving ice hockey more than anything.

I don't want to come across as selfish or anything either, I normally play 2+ hour stretches with private groups for inline and even ball hockey and we have just 2 goalies. The idea of just playing for 30 minutes or less on Ice doesn't seem worth it to me considering the drive out, time to prepare, and going back and the clean up, ect... This assumes equal playing time as well. If you get into the 5 goals and swap I can already see a problem where less skilled and/or stacked teams will leave certain goalies being on the bench a lot longer unless I misunderstood the game, or if it is a collective thing and both swap out for the other 2?

Last thing I want to do is get into some drama with other goalies over time. :D

Remember, not all goalies are good. Some are basically a bag of potatoes on the ice. The shooters and defensemen feel ripped off when they have a crap goalie out there. So the 2 guys for the whole time could leave a shit ball guy out there for the whole time. Not good. 4 goalies at least ensures some variation. Plus if one dude is a fat loaf like me... we turn to pure ass when cooked. Rotation turns to letting the young dudes play more. lol.

Add in some buttheads register then not come. If there were just two on the list - problem.

• Like 1