Goal allowed in NHL, problematic?

ted

start around 5:20 in for the goal in question.

I don't like the NHL allowing this goal, but I need to ask for some other opinions.  To me, it looks clear as day that the skater moves the goalie with his stick, then scores.  Now Binnington doesn't protest, the announcers didn't say anything, and everybody went about their day as if it was no problem.  Are you allowed to move the goalie out of the way like that? 

My concern with allowing this kind of goal will encourage players to poke and hack trying to push goalies out of the way.

Thoughts?

So I went back and forth on this, but it does look like there's a side of puck showing near the boot there?

I still would have whistled it down if I was the ref, and I definitely don't like that he was pushed. I feel like Binnington could have challenged this.

image.thumb.png.39148b17d7d656dd771cdb5187ff50b4.pngBut 

34 minutes ago, ted said:

start around 5:20 in for the goal in question.

I don't like the NHL allowing this goal, but I need to ask for some other opinions.  To me, it looks clear as day that the skater moves the goalie with his stick, then scores.  Now Binnington doesn't protest, the announcers didn't say anything, and everybody went about their day as if it was no problem.  Are you allowed to move the goalie out of the way like that? 

My concern with allowing this kind of goal will encourage players to poke and hack trying to push goalies out of the way.

Thoughts?

Goal,

If Binny's pads were form, planted against the post it wouldn't go in. His stick didn't move his pads....gravity did. 

Going after visible pucks with a stick is fair game, but the goalie can not be covering or in active possession of the puck.  Binnington's leg was there making contact with the puck, but it is perfectly reasonable to believe he doesn't know that, is not actively covering the puck, and is not in possession of the puck.  I think his motive with the leg pad here was blocking the entry to the goal, not covering the puck.

My understanding of the "you can't move the goalie" thing is both, you can't push the goalie with the puck into the goal to score, and, you can't remove or move a part of the goalie's gear/body that is actively covering/in possession of the puck to retrieve it and then score. 

My take on this Binnington situation is that it does not violate the "you can't move the goalie" thing. Donato's stick contacts the leg pad, ok, but he was going for a visible puck in close proximity to the leg pad. 

Good goal in my view, although it did irk me at first as a goalie.  After the replays and thinking about it, I think it's fine.

Similar situation, hypothetically: let's say a shot comes in, goalie goes down symmetrically for a belly save, botches the trap, and the puck falls on top of the leg pad so that it is sitting on the side wall. Is that puck now fair game for a skater to poke at it or retrieve it?  I think so.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

I saw the second half of this game. Binnington played really well. 
This goal bothers me, but not for the reason of possible illegality. It bothers me because of the state of modern defending. Breakaway happens, goalie makes a great save. Defenseman arrives. All that is normal throughout all of time. Unfortunately, in today’s game, the defender goes for the puck, misses and allows the attacker another swipe at the puck, ultimately allowing the goal. What SHOULD have happened was the defender hitting the attacker as he attempted to knock in the rebound. It was a massive defender against a average sized attacker. His hit would’ve totally negated that attacker’s further attempts at the puck. But today’s defenders all fish for pucks instead of using body contact in goalscoring areas. Rant over 😤 (Don’t even get me started in the absurdity of the own goal by Krug)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I saw the second half of this game. Binnington played really well. 
This goal bothers me, but not for the reason of possible illegality. It bothers me because of the state of modern defending. Breakaway happens, goalie makes a great save. Defenseman arrives. All that is normal throughout all of time. Unfortunately, in today’s game, the defender goes for the puck, misses and allows the attacker another swipe at the puck, ultimately allowing the goal. What SHOULD have happened was the defender hitting the attacker as he attempted to knock in the rebound. It was a massive defender against a average sized attacker. His hit would’ve totally negated that attacker’s further attempts at the puck. But today’s defenders all fish for pucks instead of using body contact in goalscoring areas. Rant over 😤 (Don’t even get me started in the absurdity of the own goal by Krug)

But you might get suspended instead lol.