590 vs 591

ThatCarGuy

This may take a little longer than usual since I’m reduced to 2 ice times a week instead of 4-5 but here we go. 
I’ll be comparing an Axis 2.9 591 vs a Premier R1.9 590
D288925B-FC36-4F35-AD5E-D26A39BCC31A.thumb.jpeg.d0a2a43656da9bdca2bdd49af65678a3.jpeg

For those not familiar, 591 is CCM’s new break, the only thing it shares in common with a 590 is the break. 
Based off initial impressions the 590 is more of a flat “pancake” palm glove while the 591 seems to have a little more depth to it more similar to 580.

Strangely, they weigh exactly the same on a luggage scale, 2lbs 0oz. 

The internal strapping is vastly different between the two with 590 using the traditional ccm/lefevre style and 591 introducing the crossform system. 
52002B80-D964-413A-9C56-11E726FE19D1.thumb.jpeg.1a1ba3d58e01e8f29957c8226ad6f6a7.jpeg1A758950-B92F-4BFA-944E-98D3D0A212E3.thumb.jpeg.d9528d72ea3bc01a3206d865596327a7.jpeg
One highlight and polarizing feature  of the 591 is the complete lack of finger stalls. Personally I wear a golf glove inside all of my gloves to help grip better and using that in the 591 my fingers don’t slip and feels more natural than the 590. That said the 591 is not an easy closure for me just yet since it’s basically new. 

My first ice time with the 591 break will be tonight with a couple buddies. I’ll report back any findings including how it feels to shoot a puck with. 

• Like 1

First ice time done. Crazy how hard it is to catch a puck when you can’t close the glove. That said it does funnel pretty well especially compared to 590. The shape is similar but there’s a little more above the wrist on 591. Could also be how I’m wearing it but time will tell. To speed up the break in process I’m going to relace the 591. Pretty sure I’ll also be one of the first to see and post the internals of this break

This glove is an enormous step in the right direction. 
AB3D9844-E53F-4423-99C4-6FC6CAD01E54.thumb.jpeg.a7757d20ac0bca3df6f8b27790a5a5b8.jpeg

Every piece of foam is sewn in and the finger plastic is actually in a pocket closer to the outside of the glove. The thumb side is much more traditional but the break of the glove is also sewn in the whole way through. No floating pieces, just lace to hold it shut. That said, the T is this things downfall. Far too stiff and is the entire reason the glove closes poorly. 

12 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The T is this things downfall. Far too stiff and is the entire reason the glove closes poorly. 

This is the reason I've gone to single T's on CCM gloves.   They just don't do the double T as well as Vaughn or Brians.   Their design makes for a huge pocket, but as you noted, the closure is terrible. 

36 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

This is the reason I've gone to single T's on CCM gloves.   They just don't do the double T as well as Vaughn or Brians.   Their design makes for a huge pocket, but as you noted, the closure is terrible. 

Completely agree. I’m going swap the T between the 590 and 591 since they appear interchangeable and see if that solves closure. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

Went to drop in with the single tee 591. Miles better than stock but still can’t get used to the shape. Missing a lot of pucks past the fingertips which is honestly more user error than the gloves fault. I’m used to big 600/Supreme style gloves meaning I have that extra reach past the fingertips. Don’t have that on this glove

59 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Very similar findings on the stiffness that I found on the Premier P2.9 earlier. The T and especially the lip and plastics inside are the major problem.

Would love to build my own tee for this glove but I unfortunately  don’t have the materials to do so. Either way the single tee is staying in that glove since it helps closure that much. Most likely going to sell the glove and blocker though since I’m not a fan of the shape of the glove

36 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Would love to build my own tee for this glove but I unfortunately  don’t have the materials to do so. Either way the single tee is staying in that glove since it helps closure that much. Most likely going to sell the glove and blocker though since I’m not a fan of the shape of the glove

Did you check this out already, no need for a new T but just a few modifications that can be made with some sharp cutter like snap off knife or exacto knife. 

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1