Intermediate palm on a senior glove advice

pd100x

Hey everyone,

I am in the midst of shopping for a set of pads. I am seeing a lot of senior gloves and blockers with an option for intermediate palms. not being the biggest goalie to ever walk the earth(5' 7'). I  was wondering if this is worth it?

For what its worth @pd100x - I'd try to lay hands on stock things before pulling the trigger on a smaller palm on a custom set. I'm a smaller dude in general (5' - 4" without Andre the Giant hands) and the only glove where I noticed the palm being a bit too sloppy was Brian's Zero G's from a number of years ago. Had a stock set and ordered a custom set (with the intermediate palm ONLY on the blocker). Outside of that one outlier - its never been problematic for me. Good luck.

Edited by chile57

4 hours ago, pd100x said:

Hey everyone,

I am in the midst of shopping for a set of pads. I am seeing a lot of senior gloves and blockers with an option for intermediate palms. not being the biggest goalie to ever walk the earth(5' 7'). I  was wondering if this is worth it?

I, too, am 5'7" and have hands right on the border between int and Sr. sizing, according to the guides (7" from wrist to tip of middle finger). I ordered an int palm in my Sr. Bauer glove and find that it is actually a little too tight for my preference. I don't know if it's because I got used to playing with a Sr. palm all these years, but I would like a little more room for my fingers; they feel a bit smooshed in the int sized liner. And, honestly, it did not really make it much easier for me to close the glove anyway, which you would think would be the biggest benefit of an int palm in a Sr. glove. But gloves are super personal preference, so if you really like a tight-feeling glove, then you may have a different experience :)

I am right on the 7” hand length line. Wore the intermediate liners on the Warrior senior G4 gloves which I liked. Currently in custom Vaughn V9s (intermediate internals in senior gloves)…the glove feels pretty good but the blocker is a little too tight for my liking. 

a lot is personal preference - I believe the stock CCM gloves have super deep finger stalls where other brands are more manageable. Def worth trying different gloves on. 

Please note to yourself that even when you get an intermediate palm on a senior sized glove, you're mostly changing how the internals will fit on your hand and not shifting the break of the glove to a different location from the normal model. You might find it better to get an intermediate sized glove, but like others, I would urge you to try some on if you have the opportunities afforded to you.

My example: I have a few Brian's gloves that are intermediate palms on senior models. I really like having the intermediate internals, but the gloves to break across anterior side of my knuckles instead of in my palm. I tried on a couple of their Intermediate Pro models and thought they felt great since the break is more along my palm, but at this point I'm very mechanically used to closing my glove the way described above. Thus, I'd say go with what feels comfortable to you. Case and point: I find Warrior Senior and Bauer Senior models to feel fine on my hand, but I prefer the intermediate palm on Brian's and Vaughn gloves.

My hand size is 7" middle finger tip to wrist.

Edited by keeperton

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To go along with this I have a question about Brian's BOA system on some gloves.  Anyone with experience with this system feel that going with a regular senior glove with a BOA system would allow a INT sized hand to be fine because the BOA system can really crank down?

• 3 months later...

This was a really helpful thread. I'm also on that 7" base of palm to middle finger tip, guess that's not uncommon. 

I was just chatting with John Stuart, new co-owner/runner of Simmons Hockey and he said they don't even offer at intermediate palm in their gloves, they just don't see it as necessary since it won't change the location of your hand or the break. This has made more more just concerned about quality strapping instead. 

Also btw, Simmons offers a full custom True 580 clone option now for $480 usd. Not bad.