Hyperlite2 vs Hyperlite2 pro & New C/A advice

Hi,

so I'm looking for a new chest protector, and I think I've mostly landed on the Bauer Hyperlite series. I've noticed that there are multiple options within the Hyperlite series and I was hoping someone here would be able to give me some insights on the differences and maybe have some discussion on the topic if possible. I noticed on Pure Hockey's website that they have the Hyperlite 2 for 620 usd, and then they have the Hyperlite 2 custom for 720... now where I get confused is I also see they have a Hyperlite 2 pro for 770. what are the differences from the Hyperlite 2 and the Hyperlite 2 pro? I noticed on the pro model customizer that they have the option to reinforce the shoulders and arms, is this the main difference? If I went this route does anyone have strong opinions on these reinforcements? I'm kinda weighing if it's worth it to go for a 770 dollar custom hyperlite 2 pro or if I should find a stock hyperlite 1 for 450? 

And I guess I'm also just looking for advice on a new chest in general. Should I consider the Bauer pro instead? Any other prefered ones? I'd be open to Brians, Vaughn, or maybe CCM (I was hoping the Lefevre one would be out by now lol). I'd hopefully be playing ACHA D2 or D3 next season and currently play decent beer league with a couple ex D1, D3 guys and ex euro/ low level pros. I'm obviously far from the top but I see some decent shots from time to time. I'm 5'9" 165 so I'm assuming I'd be looking at a medium. I'm currently coming from a Warrior Ritual pro first gen, and my main gripe right now is getting beat over the shoulders, so I'd like something with a bit more bulk, and I hate the arms, they get stuck on themselves. 

So any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Omar :)

Edited by Oshnatour

21 minutes ago, Oshnatour said:

now where I get confused is I also see they have a Hyperlite 2 pro for 770. what are the differences from the Hyperlite 2 and the Hyperlite 2 pro? I noticed on the pro model customizer that they have the option to reinforce the shoulders and arms, is this the main difference?

I'm making an assumption here, but I'm guessing it's following the suit as Bauer's Pro Custom options for their legpads/gloves. You're paying a premium to customize the specs on their equipment, but you can ultimately get the same as off the shelf. Unless you're wanting to mix and match arms, have length added/subtracted, and/or change the colours and add reinforcement, the cheaper version is obviously the way to go. 

I noticed on the pro model customizer that they have the option to reinforce the shoulders and arms, is this the main difference? If I went this route does anyone have strong opinions on these reinforcements?

I know some guys have complained about the elbow floaters on the Hyperlite 1, so it may be worth it if you're playing college. 

I'm in the Hyperlite 1 and don't have any major qualms. I play against upper intermediate. 

m 5'9" 165 so I'm assuming I'd be looking at a medium. and currently coming from a warrior ritual pro first gen, and my main gripe right now is getting beat over the shoulders, so I'd like something with a bit more bulk, and I hate the arms, they get stuck on themselves. 

So I'm the same height as you (but 40lbs heavier lol) and a Medium is fine. Arms come down a tad too long for me, but it's fine enough. The arms are "adjustable" but it's pretty limited in what the adjustability actually does. 

Honestly, I'd just get the Hyperlite 1 at a discount since I have major doubts there's any major advantage of getting the Hyperlite 2. 

Hell, that's kind of my take away of the Hyperlite 2 line as a whole. 

Hyperlite 1 has great coverage without being obnoxious. It's bigger than Warrior but not by a crazy amount. Here's an idea of what it looks like. 

I don't tuck and I have the bottom strips removed. 

DSC_5771.jpg

DSC_5787.jpg

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm making an assumption here, but I'm guessing it's following the suit as Bauer's Pro Custom options for their legpads/gloves. You're paying a premium to customize the specs on their equipment, but you can ultimately get the same as off the shelf. Unless you're wanting to mix and match arms, have length added/subtracted, and/or change the colours and add reinforcement, the cheaper version is obviously the way to go.

Ok makes enough sense. Essentially I'd be paying the difference, $320 for reinforced arms / shoulders, whatever upgrades the Hyperlite 2 has over 1, an arm shortening if needed, and some purdy colors. You're probably right I guess, now I'm just wondering how worth it those reinforcements would be. I'm still kinda leaning towards the hyperlite 2 pro custom with the reinforcements... student loans am I right lol 

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I know some guys have complained about the elbow floaters on the Hyperlite 1

I have access (90 min drive) to a couple hockey stores that should have some in stock so I should probably go there with my pants, gloves and jersey to see how I like the feel of the floaters in person if that's the case. 

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't tuck and I have the bottom strips removed. 

Yea I would probably do the same.

I like your setup, thanks for the reply!

• Like 1

The Hyperlite 2 custom you can only customize colors and body/arm size.

The Hyperlite 2 Pro custom you can do the above + get the options for reinforced shoulder floaters, reinforced bicep protection, reinforced forearm protection, custom wrist length, and arm type (Hyperlite2, Hyperlite, Mach, or Supreme Pro). 

Edit: Order your custom from a Canadian shop (like The Goalie Crease) and you can save yourself approx $100 with the conversion rate vs Pure Hockey, even with shipping.

Edited by pkeyk4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pkeyk4 said:

The Hyperlite 2 Pro custom you can do the above + get the options for reinforced shoulder floaters, reinforced bicep protection, reinforced forearm protection, custom wrist length, and arm type (Hyperlite2, Hyperlite, Mach, or Supreme Pro).

I think I'm leaning towards this option, just cause I'm a big baby and I hate stingers. now I've got to decide which arms are best for me... how I do that I have no idea.

Edited by Oshnatour

10 minutes ago, pkeyk4 said:

The Hyperlite 2 custom you can only customize colors and body/arm size.

Edit: Order your custom from a Canadian shop (like The Goalie Crease) and you can save yourself approx $100 with the conversion rate vs Pure Hockey, even with shipping.

Canadian shops aren't allowed to ship across the border due to stipulations put in place by certain suppliers. Bauer is notorious for this. 

So unless you're able to go pick it up yourself, you may be out of luck. 

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Canadian shops aren't allowed to ship across the border due to stipulations put in place by certain suppliers. Bauer is notorious for this. 

So unless you're able to go pick it up yourself, you may be out of luck. 

Custom orders they can. Retail items they won't. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Oshnatour said:

I think I'm leaning towards this option, just cause I'm a big baby and I hate stingers. now I've got to decide which arms are best for me... how I do that I have no idea.

I did this 5 weeks ago. I messaged with Rance at TGC. He sent me a bunch of pics and measurements from the HL, Mach, and HL2, answered all my questions and gave recommendations. I ordered a custom HL2 with Mach arms and all the reinforcements. If the build estimate holds I should have it in 4-6 weeks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Oshnatour said:

I custom ordered a Hyperlite with Mach arms last year.  Had the full beef up kit specced on there (upper + lower arms, shoulders) and still caught some pretty bad bruises through it against various levels of Euro pro, NA pro, NCAA and Junior guys.

Also had some minor quality quibbles on the unit.  I gave it 3-4 skates before going back to my CCM AB18 and stitches were already popping out of it by the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I custom ordered a Hyperlite with Mach arms last year.  Had the full beef up kit specced on there (upper + lower arms, shoulders) and still caught some pretty bad bruises through it against various levels of Euro pro, NA pro, NCAA and Junior guys.

Also had some minor quality quibbles on the unit.  I gave it 3-4 skates before going back to my CCM AB18 and stitches were already popping out of it by the end. 

This is my first Bauer order. I'm interested to see how the build quality is as their track record is well known.  My primary C/A is a Kenesky PP1 that I've had for almost 4 years now. It's a tank but I'm not sure I'd order another one with the crazy long wait times. I've just tried a Passau Pro Pack, but the shoulder floaters are not for me.  

I wish CCM would just sell their new NHL spec unit like this

CCM.jpeg

Edited by pkeyk4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oshnatour said:

You could also look at the Brown 2400CA which are definitely tops protection wise.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pkeyk4 said:

This is my first Bauer order. I'm interested to see how the build quality is as their track record is well known.  My primary C/A is a Kenesky PP1 that I've had for almost 4 years now. It's a tank but I'm not sure I'd order another one with the crazy long wait times. I've just tried Passau Pro Pack, but the shoulder floaters are not for me.  

The Bauer product is good, and I think the levels of build they offer is good for most people.  I may have just had bad luck with the stitching pulling.

I got absolutely smoked a couple times in my Kenesky.  Like, my entire right arm was black and blue for 2 weeks.

I tried to give them an order in February for some small parts (leather and elastic straps).  Haven't heard back since March.  Not worth it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

The Bauer product is good, and I think the levels of build they offer is good for most people.  I may have just had bad luck with the stitching pulling.

I got absolutely smoked a couple times in my Kenesky.  Like, my entire right arm was black and blue for 2 weeks.

I tried to give them an order in February for some small parts (leather and elastic straps).  Haven't heard back since March.  Not worth it

I like trying out new stuff so I hope it ends up being good.

That's a bummer. I've had zero issues on my kenesky arms. I play in the upper C and low B leagues in CO. I've had a couple of body shots and a sternum shot that I had a little brusing from this year but I've used this thing at least 4-5 times a week since I received it so it's well worn. I love how it fits. 

That's unfortunate. I've previously ordered some of their professor straps and a neck guard. The small stuff they always sent out really quick. It's been a couple of years though since my last order with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Well that's disheartening.

I've been doing some reading here and have heard alot about those Pro stock CCM units, seems like a rough consensus that those are the top dog, only problem is I cant find a medium :(

I really want true to come out with a canadian made lefebvre unit, cause I'm guessing that's the roots of whatever CCM had.

1 hour ago, pkeyk4 said:

You could also look at the Brown 2400CA which are definitely tops protection wise.

Yea I've seen some discussion on the Brown stuff too. I'm not super psyched about them, it looks like an old design. Maybe that's a stupid reason though. However I would jump all over that Pro spec CCM unit if it was available... 

Edited by Oshnatour

Brown is definitely super protective, but it is considerably heavier and hotter than similar gear from the big manufacturers. They do not have much in the way of "modern" materials which can protect while still being light.

I went the custom Bauer route for my C/A, and I couldn't be happier with it. Hyperlite body with Pro Series arms, extra reinforced shoulders/biceps/forearms, -10mm on the arm length. I'm 5'7" and went with small body and small arms, and it fits me perfectly. It's as bomb-proof as any chest protector I've worn, including a Brown 2400 (with beef ups).

On 5/25/2023 at 2:54 PM, pkeyk4 said:

This is my first Bauer order. I'm interested to see how the build quality is as their track record is well known.  My primary C/A is a Kenesky PP1 that I've had for almost 4 years now. It's a tank but I'm not sure I'd order another one with the crazy long wait times. I've just tried a Passau Pro Pack, but the shoulder floaters are not for me.  

On 5/25/2023 at 4:34 PM, Oshnatour said:

Well that's disheartening.

I've been doing some reading here and have heard alot about those Pro stock CCM units, seems like a rough consensus that those are the top dog, only problem is I cant find a medium :(

I really want true to come out with a canadian made lefebvre unit, cause I'm guessing that's the roots of whatever CCM had.

The McKenney actually looks like it has the shin pad style arms like the CCM AB18/AB23

https://mckenneyhockey.com/en-us/products/xpg2-pro-elite-chest-arm

Unfortunately I don't think anyone on this BB has picked one up yet

On 5/26/2023 at 7:23 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Highly recommend picking up a hyperlite 1 over hyperlite 2 chest. Hyperlite 2 has far too many gaps in the ribs, armpits, wrists and the sternum and all of the foams are way too dense to properly absorb rebounds

@Oshnatour

Here's another good reason to go Hyperlite 1 vs 2. 

Hyperlite 2 made a dumb as rocks move to have the arms be connected by a single jenpro adjustment piece. 

Here's a thread where someone's immediately came apart. https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeygoalies/comments/13ryfwz/bauer_chest_protector/

At least the Hyperlite 1 had the arms fully sewn in and the adjustment loop. Here's pictures of my unit (giggity):

20230531_115755.thumb.jpg.504db73ff2ad0ebc2fcd851e8f9403fb.jpg 

I saw the Hyperlite 2 in person and I wasn't too impressed with it. Honestly, felt like the same unit minus a design change and some questionable attachment point issues. 

16 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@Oshnatour

Here's another good reason to go Hyperlite 1 vs 2. 

Hyperlite 2 made a dumb as rocks move to have the arms be connected by a single jenpro adjustment piece. 

Here's a thread where someone's immediately came apart. https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeygoalies/comments/13ryfwz/bauer_chest_protector/

At least the Hyperlite 1 had the arms fully sewn in and the adjustment loop. Here's pictures of my unit (giggity):

20230531_115755.thumb.jpg.504db73ff2ad0ebc2fcd851e8f9403fb.jpg 

I saw the Hyperlite 2 in person and I wasn't too impressed with it. Honestly, felt like the same unit minus a design change and some questionable attachment point issues. 

2 out of the 5 hyperlite 2 chests we’ve put out on the floor had the arms come unsewn. Thankfully we just took it to the jersey department upstairs and had them fix it. Results are better than new. 

1 minute ago, ThatCarGuy said:

2 out of the 5 hyperlite 2 chests we’ve put out on the floor had the arms come unsewn. Thankfully we just took it to the jersey department upstairs and had them fix it. Results are better than new. 

Such a nonsensical change to make. Only reason I can think of as to "why?" would be the consensus that Hyperlite 1 arm customizability was pretty lacking. 

Still, removing durability for minor customization is pretty awful.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Pezon36 said:

How’s the breathability on the HL1 and HL2 chests.  I’m currently in a ccm AB18 and like the mobility but I’m getting over how hot the thing runs. Even on easy games it’s soaked in sweat.  

HL1 is the warmest C/A I've ever owned.

History:

- Itech Reflex
- Vaughn 7800 V5
- Vaughn LT90
- Warrior GT
- Bauer 2S
- Bauer Hyperlite. 

1 hour ago, Pezon36 said:

How’s the breathability on the HL1 and HL2 chests.  I’m currently in a ccm AB18 and like the mobility but I’m getting over how hot the thing runs. Even on easy games it’s soaked in sweat.  

I don't even pay attention to that lol, I wore a Bauer NXG, the Pro and a CCM Premier...I now have the beefed up version and I can't let it go lol

• 8 months later...

I came across these 2 pictures while looking for used Hyperlite chests and this bothered me quite a bit. This should not be happening. I can see why the Mach and Pro series arms are preferred by many. The elbows should not be out of the side walls like that. 

Is this an issue with other brands as well? I never saw this before, not with any of the chest and arms I've used over the years.

bauer-hyperlite-chest-ice-4134.jpg

bauer-chest-protectors-bauer-vapor-hyperlite-senior-chest-arm-protector-black-28267875467330_1400x.jpg