Jump to content

581 Glove - Unboxing Thoughts


Recommended Posts

I recently unboxed the new CCM EFlex 6 581 hockey goalie glove, and overall, it left me with mixed feelings. While it certainly has its positive aspects, there were a few drawbacks that may leave some goalies wanting to order a classic 580 instead.

Let's start with the positives. One of the standout features of the EFlex 6 581 glove is the addition of new finger and pinky loops. These loops provide excellent traction, making it easier to close the glove. This should translate to easy puck control to secure those hard shots. It's a small detail, but it can make a significant difference in performance.

Another notable benefit is the game ready palm. Compared to its predecessor, the 591, the palm on the EFlex 6 581 closes much better. This improvement allows for easier transition from purchase to on ice usage and overall comfort.

The wrist strap design on this glove is also worth mentioning. It's the same as the 591. Based on my 591 experience, it offers a secure and comfortable fit, ensuring that the glove stays in place during intense gameplay. This attention to detail in the strap design enhances the overall user experience and adds to the glove's usability.

Furthermore, the palm padding of the EFlex 6 581 glove is robust and provides excellent protection. Base on my experience with the 591 of similar construction, goalies can feel confident knowing that their hand is well shielded from hard shots and potential injuries. The palm padding is certainly a strong suit of this glove.

However, there are a few negative aspects to consider as well. First and foremost, while the new finger and pinky loops improve traction, I couldn't help but feel that most goalies will still miss the finger stalls that were present in previous models. This omission may be disappointing for those who are accustomed to using finger stalls for added control and stability.

Additionally, the EFlex 6 581 glove seems to fall somewhere between a traditional 580 and a fully updated model. It retains some of the traditional features, which may not appeal to goalies looking for a complete overhaul in design. This hybrid feel could be a hit or miss depending on individual preferences.

Lastly, while the game ready fit of the EFlex 6 581 glove has seen improvements, it still falls short of being the best in the industry. Some goalies may find the glove's closure and fit not as exceptional as they had hoped for, especially when compared to other top-tier goalie gloves on the market.

In conclusion, the CCM EFlex 6 581 hockey goalie glove has its pros and cons. The addition of finger and pinky loops, an improved game ready palm, a well-designed wrist strap, and robust palm padding are definite highlights. However, the absence of finger stalls, the hybrid feel reminiscent of a traditional model, and a game ready fit that doesn't quite reach the industry's best leave room for improvement. Ultimately, it's crucial for goalies to consider their specific needs and preferences before deciding if the EFlex 6 581 glove is the right fit for them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the mosey that CCM is trying with their gloves. It's too bad they're falling short. 

I've only tested the 591/581 in store, and they are some of the worst gloves I've had the pleasure of sticking my hands into. The lack of fingerstalls is too far of a departure for my dinosaur brain. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I like the mosey that CCM is trying with their gloves. It's too bad they're falling short. 

I've only tested the 591/581 in store, and they are some of the worst gloves I've had the pleasure of sticking my hands into. The lack of fingerstalls is too far of a departure for my dinosaur brain. 

 

Agree. It may not translate to sales, but A+ effort for trying to improve it 

Since TGN started, I’d say the glove has improved the least. It’s due for a major revolution 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agree. It may not translate to sales, but A+ effort for trying to improve it 

Since TGN started, I’d say the glove has improved the least. It’s due for a major revolution 

The only catchers that break the traditional mold are the CCM ones and probably Warrior with how almost mechanical they are. 

Neither one is exactly winning the popularity contest at the Pro level or Consumer level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2023 at 5:42 PM, RedX said:

I may be weird but to me I believe the 591 feels closer to a 580. The 581 feeling closer to the 590.

I was skeptical on the 591 in store, but since my set was won in a giveaway, I decided to go with it just to try something new. However they make the "total custom pro" CCM gear is definitely different from what gets made for stock in-store stuff, because I really enjoy my 591 glove. It doesn't have the traditional 580 overlap in the T (but the closure is not edges lining up with each other like a regular 590); I don't miss the finger stalls and I can close it with the fingers-to-palm (👍) closure you expect from a 580 glove.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2023 at 9:33 AM, Teezle said:

I was skeptical on the 591 in store, but since my set was won in a giveaway, I decided to go with it just to try something new. However they make the "total custom pro" CCM gear is definitely different from what gets made for stock in-store stuff, because I really enjoy my 591 glove. It doesn't have the traditional 580 overlap in the T (but the closure is not edges lining up with each other like a regular 590); I don't miss the finger stalls and I can close it with the fingers-to-palm (👍) closure you expect from a 580 glove.

Total Custom Pro is made on the pro department assembly line in the same factory. I don't have specifics on the differences. It's where the NHL, CHL, etc gear is done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Have used the glove. My initial unboxing thoughts are pretty dead on.

The loops upgrade the glove from strange and borderline awkward to unique and different. My hand never felt like it was floating in a mitten, which it did with 591.

The closure feels much different than a legacy glove and almost mechanical? But it works very very well. The glove has great puck retention. There were a couple that didn't catch cleanly and they stayed in the glove perfectly.

This is definitively progress from the 591, but I am still not sure if the 80% majority of goalies would pick this over a traditional 580. 580 is still available via a custom order. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Have used the glove. My initial unboxing thoughts are pretty dead on.

The loops upgrade the glove from strange and borderline awkward to unique and different. My hand never felt like it was floating in a mitten, which it did with 591.

The closure feels much different than a legacy glove and almost mechanical? But it works very very well. The glove has great puck retention. There were a couple that didn't catch cleanly and they stayed in the glove perfectly.

This is definitively progress from the 591, but I am still not sure if the 80% majority of goalies would pick this over a traditional 580. 580 is still available via a custom order. 

 

Ccm could step up their custom game by adding more options to customize the gloves they already manufacture. If I can choose what knee wrap I want on my pads, why can I choose what kinda wrist strapping my glove has? Or if I want the glove to have finger stalls or loops? If I want the bulge padding or flat padding on the wrist? I feel that the cross x strap was a great improvement. And I feel that if I could get a regular 580 with a cross x strap it would be even better and be more competitive than trues offerings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Ccm could step up their custom game by adding more options to customize the gloves they already manufacture. If I can choose what knee wrap I want on my pads, why can I choose what kinda wrist strapping my glove has? Or if I want the glove to have finger stalls or loops? If I want the bulge padding or flat padding on the wrist? I feel that the cross x strap was a great improvement. And I feel that if I could get a regular 580 with a cross x strap it would be even better and be more competitive than trues offerings. 

I agree. I ordered a Vapor 90 from Bauer this year. I was salty I could not get the Mach internals on the Vapor 90 glove. I am gonna just ignore the wrist strap when it comes in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I agree. I ordered a Vapor 90 from Bauer this year. I was salty I could not get the Mach internals on the Vapor 90 glove. I am gonna just ignore the wrist strap when it comes in.

I have a hl2 set with a vapor 90non the way as well. Should be coming in in the next few weeks for so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Member Statistics

    1,992
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    kmccann1223
    Newest Member
    kmccann1223
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...