Transition from Old Graf to modern Bauer

bgorb

I have been using Graf Goalie Pro skates (the beluga whale toe cap) for years but decided to upgrade to something modern. I now have Bauer 3S pro skates and I feel like I'm glued to the ground. I think the main issue is that the blade length extends beyond the toe in the Bauers so c-cuts and pivot/turns feel more cumbersome (I have also toe-picked during a butterfly slide which was very... interesting).

Is this a something that I will eventually get used to or is there something I can do to help this? Would profiling the blade make the transition easier? Thanks for the help!

Profiling is a blind spot for me, would love to hear an experts opinion

My gut says that just repetitions will get you over the hurdle? If you have the opportunity to go a pick up game or stick and puck, I think that would help a ton? You can  mess around without worrying about the scoreboard behind you

For what it's worth, I've been in a similar position but had mostly different results. I was using huge, heavy, Graf skates from about 2012 I would guess, and then moved to a pair of bauer's entry level GSX skates. For me the transition was easy and just took a single stick time. I did notice that the freshly sharpened blades seem to cut in and catch the ice more, and I did tumble a few times quite dramatically haha, but I got adjusted and it hasn't happened since. You could try a less sharp profile? Another factor is I went down a full size with the bauer so maybe that limited the impact somehow. I use 7/16. 

Overall I hope you'll love using modern skates like I do . I am so much faster, agile, way better slides. Only downside is my toes get cold and wet towards the end of a game now, where there was no chance of that with the grafs. 

10 hours ago, bgorb said:

I have been using Graf Goalie Pro skates (the beluga whale toe cap) for years but decided to upgrade to something modern. I now have Bauer 3S pro skates and I feel like I'm glued to the ground. I think the main issue is that the blade length extends beyond the toe in the Bauers so c-cuts and pivot/turns feel more cumbersome (I have also toe-picked during a butterfly slide which was very... interesting).

Is this a something that I will eventually get used to or is there something I can do to help this? Would profiling the blade make the transition easier? Thanks for the help!

Stock profile is 30' for most brands, I believe Bauer falls into this.  Graf used a 30' profile as well.

Based on your description, you never re-profiled your Grafs.  Over the course of multiple years of sharpenings, the blades have rounded out to something more in the player spectrum (9' to 11'), very little blade contact on the ice.

You could round it out to a 26 or 27' if you want something a little bit less than what you currently have on your Bauer.

You could also go with a Goalie SAM, which is an 11' front third.  Middle of the blade on these has a 50mm flat spot and back is like a 27' I think.

Would also recommend giving yourself time to adjust.  The new holders are like 1/2" taller than the old cowling combos.  It doesn't sound like much, but your entire body weight is 1/2" higher so weight shifts on your feet feel more dramatic.  I tried skating with that style skate for over a year and couldn't get used to it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update: I have been playing with the skates for a few weeks and I have adjusted pretty well. I like the low attack angle compared to my old skates and definitely feel taller out on the ice. Thank you everyone for your advice!

• Like 1