Znowleopards mask extravaganza

Znowleopard

As much as i love playing goalie the whole mask situation has me a bit worried, currently i'm using a OTNY CC with tan foam, the shell of the mask seems perfectly fine, but the type of foam and the lack of it  (only 1 cm thick through out) has me thinking about how i can improve the impact absorption of the mask. Ive been looking around at the different aftermarket foams available from shocktec, sorbothane, maltease, etc. So far i haven't found a source compering the impact absorption of the different foams and combination of different density foams. So im going to conduct my own tests, i will be doing this using a load cell, where i drop a known weight from an exact height on and see how much force it generates, then doing the same with foam on the load cell to see how much force the foam absorbs. I will also look at how the thickness of the foam affects the absorption and whether or not it is linear and whether mixing different density foams makes a difference.

Ill also be looking at finding different ways of mounting the cage to the mask and how i can make sure the cage is transferring less force into the mask.

If any one has any more ideas, suggestions, or critiques of the test methodology let me know!

Damn, @Znowleopard - not doing this by halves, are you?

Well, having pursued 2 History degrees (yes, 2 - because I didn't learn my lesson the first time, and history apparently DOES repeat itself), my TL:DR contribution is probably this: "puck shot hard at my head hurts because... like, science..." I'm afraid I won't be much help in this, but I applaud your initiative, and look forward to seeing your findings - as I'm sure many here do!

I believe you said you're starting Uni in the UK soon...? Will this hamper the foam impact absorption experiments, or do you expect to finish up before school starts...?

Best of luck, buddy!

6 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I believe you said you're starting Uni in the UK soon...? Will this hamper the foam impact absorption experiments, or do you expect to finish up before school starts...?

Yes im starting in September so i think ill have enough time, maybe your history degrees could come in useful....somehow maybe.....

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

Ill be ordering both foams they have , still trying to figure out which thickness i should get

@Znowleopard This is a fascinating project and good luck. I will spoil one thing for you... 

More padding makes the mask less comfortable and ruins the sight lights. I fully support the idea and love the quest and hope you end up with a safer helmet... but if you are not aware of that, it's a difference maker. 

My NME VTX is very comfortable, but my face sits further from the window than on the TGN Spex X Protechsport X CCM Pro I have. Even thought it may be a few mm, it's a world difference and I have trouble adjusting to it. There's a reason everyone in the NHL has minimal padding, it's was easier to see and makes the mask less noticeable. 

If I could could challenge you, the goal should be to find not only the safest, but the thinnest / safest combo. CCM, Bauer, etc could put everyone's head like 10 feet from the cage and no one would get hurt. It would be horribly un functional though. 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Znowleopard This is a fascinating project and good luck. I will spoil one thing for you... 

More padding makes the mask less comfortable and ruins the sight lights. I fully support the idea and love the quest and hope you end up with a safer helmet... but if you are not aware of that, it's a difference maker. 

My NME VTX is very comfortable, but my face sits further from the window than on the TGN Spex X Protechsport X CCM Pro I have. Even thought it may be a few mm, it's a world difference and I have trouble adjusting to it. There's a reason everyone in the NHL has minimal padding, it's was easier to see and makes the mask less noticeable. 

If I could could challenge you, the goal should be to find not only the safest, but the thinnest / safest combo. CCM, Bauer, etc could put everyone's head like 10 feet from the cage and no one would get hurt. It would be horribly un functional though. 

I should probably have worded my initial post better,  im trying to find the most efficient use of foam/combinations , i could just double up the thickness of the foam thats in my mask now and i would have a safer mask, but it wouldnt be the safest, as there is a combination/foam that is more impact absorbing in the a similar thickness to what i have now, doubling that new combination up would make a safer mask than doubling up the old foam. So yes challenge accepted ;)

Hope that made sense

40 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

I should probably have worded my initial post better,  im trying to find the most efficient use of foam/combinations , i could just double up the thickness of the foam thats in my mask now and i would have a safer mask, but it wouldnt be the safest, as there is a combination/foam that is more impact absorbing in the a similar thickness to what i have now, doubling that new combination up would make a safer mask than doubling up the old foam. So yes challenge accepted ;)

Hope that made sense

Yes! Exactly, look forward to your results 

Archived