True L12.2 overrotation in skating

pfeiffjay54

6AF5F2EA-86BF-47D2-8A3A-49A13B91850C.thumb.png.4f4b85cee1549f9200b452030e2c2350.pngSo here’s a (very blurry) example of my 12.2s over rotating during skating. I felt my pad slip like this a lot doing t pushes and any suggestions on how to stop this is appreciated. My current setup is about 3-4 inches of slack on skate lace, tight top frs loose bottom, knee elastic down to the calf. 

The slack or over rotation seems more at the knee as it looks like the toe tie is preventing the rest to follow. How loose is the knee cradle? What model knee pads do you use? Skinny legs or athletic? All can be contributing factors to the issue.

My Warriors have a bit of inner rotation in my stance but nothing crazy. 

A couple weeks ago I got in touch with Bonesy (the Nashville EBUG YouTuber) and asked him how he manages to have so much slack on his toe ties and not wear his pads tight yet still can keep his pads relatively square in his stance and when skating. He said he never noticed and he said that for mine, it could just be a question of how I strap them. Then again, the strapping set-up/system is quite different between his Trues and my GT2s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pfeiffjay54 said:

6AF5F2EA-86BF-47D2-8A3A-49A13B91850C.thumb.png.4f4b85cee1549f9200b452030e2c2350.pngSo here’s a (very blurry) example of my 12.2s over rotating during skating. I felt my pad slip like this a lot doing t pushes and any suggestions on how to stop this is appreciated. My current setup is about 3-4 inches of slack on skate lace, tight top frs loose bottom, knee elastic down to the calf. 

Had a similar issue when I was using centered skate lace toe ties. I had to use so much slack to stop my ankles from hurting that the pad would over rotate in my stance just like yours.

I offset my lace toe ties 2 holes towards the inside edge, shortened the slack, and haven't had issues with over rotation since. 

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

The slack or over rotation seems more at the knee as it looks like the toe tie is preventing the rest to follow. How loose is the knee cradle? What model knee pads do you use? Skinny legs or athletic? All can be contributing factors to the issue.

A couple weeks ago I got in touch with Bonesy (the Nashville EBUG YouTuber) and asked him how he manages to have so much slack on his toe ties and not wear his pads tight yet still can keep his pads relatively square in his stance and when skating. He said he never noticed and he said that for mine, it could just be a question of how I strap them. Then again, the strapping set-up/system is quite different between his Trues and my GT2s.

I recently watched his video where he was taking Wedgewood's px3's for a twirl, and believe me, his pads were not square when he was in his stance and doing t-pushes. I've noticed this in his regular True's as well, often being able to see large portions of his knee when he's in his stance. But when he drops into butterfly, they rotate back properly which is the most important thing, and so maybe he just doesn't view it as a problem. For me personally, I get less under rotation when I strap across the knee and down the calf, so that's another thing you could try, @pfeiffjay54 . In addition to all the other suggestions mentioned above. And as you mentioned, it's a pretty blurry pic so it's a little tough to see what's actually going on! haha.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

I’m using brians basic knee pad (pros I think??) in junior size so it’s a super skinny knee pad, I’ve had them since I started playing and I’m planning on switching to Ccm kp pros once my playoffs have a break in schedule.

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Had a similar issue when I was using centered skate lace toe ties. I had to use so much slack to stop my ankles from hurting that the pad would over rotate in my stance just like yours.

I offset my lace toe ties 2 holes towards the inside edge, shortened the slack, and haven't had issues with over rotation since. 

I’ve been thinking about that for a bit I’ll try it soon and see if it helps

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Add a boot strap. ;) 

If I get the chance I will, I was at Simmons shop while at a tournament in Buffalo and he said he couldn’t add one because of the l12.2s not having an outer binding. Maybe I’ll hit up someone else on my set next year about it if I don’t go custom

Can you post pictures of your leg in the leg pad?

Picture doesn't really show anything, just a mass of black gear.

How tight is your knee block velcro to the outer calf wrap?

How loose is your lower FRS?

3-4" of slack is insane.  I have shit hips and my ties are at 2", inset

On 1/25/2024 at 6:10 PM, Chenner29 said:

Sorry haven’t been logged in for a bit, I’ll get some pics next time I skate. I have the lower frs fairly loose I don’t think my knee block is very tight though. I’ll probably shorten my toe ties if I can get a not serious skate. Playing the best team on our schedule in playoffs soon so not trying to change up too much lol

On 1/25/2024 at 6:10 PM, Chenner29 said:

Was on the ice yesterday but I forgot to take pics lol. Took these todayA3C68F23-4E16-442F-B3F0-17525FED77B8.thumb.jpeg.e6635638c2602224123720abb595dbec.jpegD9AEDA81-4C4F-4187-96AB-7224ABEFAD62.thumb.jpeg.baf611b885500f0306e54c2c0045bd6e.jpeg04C65718-FF1F-4083-951F-CBBA9036E1A9.thumb.jpeg.6c10425a0760f1f7094298f6f5b71831.jpegB7B3A545-CCA1-4FBF-B1D6-497C035D67FC.thumb.jpeg.c02349b11bfb2c6ef0e1ec0ff1f540f7.jpegE7F7BFA7-C877-46BB-9B7A-4A676E04E532.thumb.jpeg.4fd359f03b8b4f4ed2849dc891ef57f3.jpeg

10 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I'd bring in the slack at the toes for sure.  Would also consider tightening up the knee block elastic

I’ll try in a week or two and get back to this thread, hopefully we can win states and I can do all the gear experiments I want