Practice palm

Netnewbie

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Lundqvist uses one for games, which if you look at how he plays, it makes total sense. I’ve never used a practise palm, myself.

The way he plays has nothing to do with the type of glove he gets, the practice palm just adds the most amount of protections for your palm that's all.  It will take you a decade to break in as well.  I will also add that with some of the technology available today, goalies don't necessarily use the Practice Palm, they may go Pro and even Game Ready.

1. “Game-Ready Palm”

– The easiest to close right out of the box…If you play a level of hockey that’s anything below (roughly) a 16-year old level of all-star, this should suit you beautifully. There are always exceptions (like that kid who’s a monster for his age, and shoots like a Jr. A player on steroids), but for the most part, this palm should be great. It will also give you the best chance to get a feel for the puck, handle the puck WAY better, and gain confidence.

2. Pro-Palm

This is the most common palm “level” for players from midget to the NHL, to be honest. You have a fabulous blend of protection and control with this level of protection. It will take a couple weeks (or more) to break in, but it’s very worth while to have the confidence to face those cannon shots with a pro-palm, and not even flinch.

3. Practice-Palm

OK – You ONLY need this level of (insane) protection if you:

a) Play in the big show (NHL/AHL/JR.A, even), or you

b) Need a glove to last you a decade or so, depending on your level/frequency of play.

30 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

The way he plays has nothing to do with the type of glove he gets, the practice palm just adds the most amount of protections for your palm that's all.  It will take you a decade to break in as well.  I will also add that with some of the technology available today, goalies don't necessarily use the Practice Palm, they may go Pro and even Game Ready.

1. “Game-Ready Palm”

– The easiest to close right out of the box…If you play a level of hockey that’s anything below (roughly) a 16-year old level of all-star, this should suit you beautifully. There are always exceptions (like that kid who’s a monster for his age, and shoots like a Jr. A player on steroids), but for the most part, this palm should be great. It will also give you the best chance to get a feel for the puck, handle the puck WAY better, and gain confidence.

2. Pro-Palm

This is the most common palm “level” for players from midget to the NHL, to be honest. You have a fabulous blend of protection and control with this level of protection. It will take a couple weeks (or more) to break in, but it’s very worth while to have the confidence to face those cannon shots with a pro-palm, and not even flinch.

3. Practice-Palm

b) Need a glove to last you a decade or so, depending on your level/frequency of play.

Actually- Lundqvist PURPOSELY uses (or previously used)  a practise palm for the express purpose for his style of play and has covered why in interviews. His glove is used like a lacrosse stick. He is definitely in the minority for actually PLAYING games with a practise palm, as most find them  too difficult to close. 

5 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Actually- Lundqvist PURPOSELY uses (or previously used)  a practise palm for the express purpose for his style of play and has covered why in interviews. His gloveHe is definitely in the minority for actually PLAYING games with a practise palm, as most find them  too difficult to close. 

The goal crease had some of his 1s pro stock gear. his glove was pretty hard to close, also he had about a thick block of soft foam covered in Nash material on the inside of the cuff 

1 minute ago, itis121 said:

The goal crease had some of his 1s pro stock gear. his glove was pretty hard to close, also he had about a thick block of soft foam covered in Nash material on the inside of the cuff 

I knew he ended up going back to that style of palm. The thread I referenced alluded to him going away from that; that was a nine year old thread...

22 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Actually- Lundqvist PURPOSELY uses (or previously used)  a practise palm for the express purpose for his style of play and has covered why in interviews. His glove is used like a lacrosse stick. He is definitely in the minority for actually PLAYING games with a practise palm, as most find them  too difficult to close. 

I guess so for his style of play, I'm making a reference to the different options.  I don't think this is necessary for the level that most of us play.

2 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I guess so for his style of play, I'm making a reference to the different options.  I don't think this is necessary for the level that most of us play.

Certainly-

That style of play was developed expressly for maximum blocking area. Another example of odd equipment preferences was that Hasek used what was essentially an intermediate-sized glove for his athletic  style of play. Belfour liked to feel the puck with extreme (for the time) light weight and thusly wore under-padded equipment. 

I can’t say many others have adopted Lunqvist’s, Belfour’s OR Hasek’s equipment styles, for certain!

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

1. “Game-Ready Palm”

2. Pro-Palm

3. Practice-Palm

Yea, pretty sure most guys in the show use Game-Ready for actualy games.

43 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

1. “Game-Ready Palm”

2. Pro-Palm

3. Practice-Palm

A large majority of NHL goalie use game ready for games. I have confirmed with multiple companies there are not an "NHL Game Ready". It's the same construction you'd buy at retail. 

Archived