Small Goalie Problems - Pad Sizing

Droner

So I made a post a while back on the Optik thread because I was thinking about getting a new custom set, but then life happened and I ended up using my hockey gear money to buy a house. Except now that I'm settled I'm getting the itch again.

I'm 5'4" with an ATK of 16, FTK is 17.5-18 and size 4.5 skates.

My 32+1 V4s fit perfect in the knee landing but feel "short", but that might be because they've shrunk in the 8 years I've had them. My measurements put me at somewhere between 30-31, which obviously is in the intermediate range. Looking at the G4s currently. That's great for pricing, but I'm iffy on getting INT pads when I'm used to the pro pads and I'd rather not have worse protection. I play men's silver B and see some pretty good shots. So I'd rather not feel them or have my pads break down super fast, which is what I'm afraid will happen with the INT pads.

Are INT pads as bad as I remember them being? I'm going to stop by Pure Hockey when I go to the Sharks game on Tuesday to see if they have anything I can try on for sizing, but expectations are low.

I’m the same height and ATK, so I can relate to really being intermediate in size but wanting pro senior quality gear.  I believe most companies will make you 32” pads custom...so you’re looking at spending $1800.  

I’ve been in 32” CCM pro intermediate for several years now.  CCM pro intermediate use exactly the same materials & foams as their senior pro.  And although someone might tell you they’re 10” in wide, I can guarantee you they are in fact 11” wide just like the senior pads.  One area they are smaller is the length of the boot. Intermediate sizing assumes you’re in smaller skates.  I personally love the shorter boot because I do in fact have smaller skates.  I had a set of CCM senior pro in 33”...I struggled more with the slightly longer boot tripping me up then the extra height.  

CCM is one of the only companies to still offer Intermediate Pro as an option.  They have slightly less options then senior pro but still do have different strapping choices, leg channel options, and of course colour options.  They cost ~ $900 CDN... half the price of senior pro.  I also found the hockey shop didn’t openly advertise CCM Intermediate Pros but had no issue ordering them for me.

Warrior offers intermediate pro as well, but I don't believe pricing is advertised online. You can build a set on their customizer.

Another nice thing about Warrior is you could size up to senior gloves if you wanted, and put intermediate liners in them.

Passau might be another option as well...

5 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Warrior offers intermediate pro as well, but I don't believe pricing is advertised online. You can build a set on their customizer.

Another nice thing about Warrior is you could size up to senior gloves if you wanted, and put intermediate liners in them.

Passau might be another option as well... 

Warrior int pro custom is like basicly senior pricing

Archived