Painting stick all black

Max27

31 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Great job!

Yes- the black tape mafia would be all up in your business if there is more than just the knob of the stick taped in white.

This is just a practice stick so im going to use black on the knob, plus, i dont tape a very big knob at all so i doubt it would be able to be mistaken for a puck with how small it is

4 hours ago, Max27 said:

This is just a practice stick so im going to use black on the knob, plus, i dont tape a very big knob at all so i doubt it would be able to be mistaken for a puck with how small it is

Did you apply clear coat as well? Let us know how durable the paint ends up being.

4 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Did you apply clear coat as well? Let us know how durable the paint ends up being.

I didnt use clear coat. First i sanded the stick down and put goof off where i had tape and then i did 3 coatings with matte black spraypaint. i had an hour gap between every time i sprayed the stick down and it came out nicely. Im working with my goalie coach today and if the stick doesnt reek of paint by the time i have to leave ill use it today. Ill keep updated on how it holds up though. 

56 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Black paint is going to explode off of that thing the first shot it sees.

I though of doing a faux wrap using sign vinyl and cutting Pooper. 

I did paint a stick, but I buried it in so much clear that it negates the weight savings of composite! Haven’t tried it on ice. You’re right- unless he properly prepped it, paint could potentially fly everywhere!

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This does seem like the most likely outcome.  Best case scenario is flakes of paint everywhere after a couple uses, but I'm desperately rooting for a huge shower of black paint!  Get us some video mas so we can laugh at with you.

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I though of doing a faux wrap using sign vinyl and cutting Pooper. 

I did paint a stick, but I buried it in so much clear that it negates the weight savings of composite! Haven’t tried it on ice. You’re right- unless he properly prepped it, paint could potentially fly everywhere!

40 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

This does seem like the most likely outcome.  Best case scenario is flakes of paint everywhere after a couple uses, but I'm desperately rooting for a huge shower of black paint!  Get us some video mas so we can laugh at with you.

I coated it 3 times and let it properly dry and set up so most likely whatll happen is just chipping. i dont plan on using this stick that much anymore so its not a huge concern if this ends up being a bust

1 minute ago, Max27 said:

I coated it 3 times and let it properly dry and set up so most likely whatll happen is just chipping. i dont plan on using this stick that much anymore so its not a huge concern if this ends up being a bust

You will find out, right? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Did you rough it up with a 320 grit scotchbrite pad? If not, the paint may start flying. Or not. I have seen weird adhesion occurrences. 

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

You will find out, right? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Did you rough it up with a 320 grit scotchbrite pad? If not, the paint may start flying. Or not. I have seen weird adhesion occurrences. 

i used 100 grit sand paper. my dad works with surfboards and uses it on the boards before he paints them and they all hold up fine. 

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

Then you may be okay, then. 

Looks smooth, anyway. You’ll find out soon enough, right?

yeah, im gonna use them next time i work with my goalie coach. i cant work with him this upcoming week so ill use it the next week.

12 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do they only do kids or adults too?  I wouldn't mind getting a few sessions in with an actual coach.

honestly, im not entirely sure. I will ask for you in the morning and let you know what he says

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s some pics of the paint after using it on the ice. Shaft doesn’t seem to hold it well. We did a redirections drill where i re directed shots for the other goalie i was training with to save and nothing was on the blade though so that’s nice. Was a cool project to do but I’m not going to use this stick going forward, the paddles a little short for what i like and it’s a lot heavier than some of my other sticks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived