Time to Bag It?

HarborCity49

Backstory: so, after going from 1991-2015 without playing net, I returned. I had skated out since 2008, so not like I was completely retired. The past 2 seasons have been both rewarding and challenging ( not the least of which was learning to butterfly), but now my journey may be over. 

After a recent exam, not only had the arthritis in both knees worsened,  but now all of the cartilage under my right kneecap is gone. I'm 52, so the rehab period for a patella resurfacing probably would mean I'm done playing goalie. Even if the doctor gave approval, which is unlikely. 

Is anyone else playing with no cartilage? Would you just keep playing until one day you can't? Or go back to skating out? It may seem like a small problem to some,  but that's why I ask other goalies. This is my one thing for myself,  and I was getting better at it. Even if it is only beer league. 

Thanks for your input!

HarborCity49, I'm 17 years younger, so maybe I can hardly understand your situation. A year ago, I ended my career in handball after 18 years in the men's league. But it was my decision not to continue, I was not completely forced (although the last two seasons were with regular injuries). It was not easy and long to consider, but on the other hand after years in the league, I had an idea of what age it usually ends ... and there was not an option to go on lower level. 

I'm not sure if I could do the same with hockey when time comes. I know that in every sport there will be a time when it's over. But I guess I'm going to catch at any level, maybe it's just once a week at low level, until health allows it.

So, first, I would consult with a doctor if there is at least the minimum chance of playing in the goal or if this option is simply not. If it is not totally out of the question (e.g. that would be such a damage that you could not even play in the field or even worse)... I would just try. If necessary, I would adjust my style. And then try again...

I'm a lot younger than you, so maybe my opinion is out, but I keep thumbs for you to make it!

I have reinvented myself many times athletically over the years. I gave up hockey due to a messed up MCL (no surgery) many years back to take up cycling to strengthen my knee.  I gave up cycling and running competitively ten years ago due to bad lower back problems. I started back in hockey five years back and started goal three years ago. I would figure out a way to play, myself.

What you have to do is solicit as many medical opinions as possible. Don't write off playing goal yet. 

Your right about one thing, only goalies understand what goalies go through physically.  I am 37 myself but years of contact sports, motocross and weight lifting have put my body through the ringer, my knees especially.  I have taken up to 2 years off from playing goalie to let my knees heal from partial tears and have instead skated out as I feel there's less pain and constant wear and tear.  However, when I feel healthy, I always get back in the net, at least for a little while until I need a break. Playing both won't make you a great goalie and it can get frustrating having to get in shape for it over and over, but if you love it, take it in moderation like I do.  

I've also had to make adjustments like going with a softer pad, using knee pads with a lot of protection for the knee itself (SCAB skateboarding/snowboarding knee pads), they provide a lot of cushion for the knee when dropping down and some extra lift.  I also try and use the lightest gear I can get to save weight.  I avoid things like Step Steel blades, the added lift of the blade will create more bend in the knee when getting up.  Extra attack angle is great and all, but for my knee problems, the deeper I have to bend my knee to recover, the more it hurts.  I have also learned to push and recover more with my heel than my toe, it takes strain off the knee.

Anyway, everybody is different and will have different opinions, but these are some of the things that have helped me to keep playing.

The question is can you do anymore damage? If no keep playing goal. There is more risk playing out with an unstable knee. You can catch a rut and rip up something else.

I'm 57 pretty much over the years have torn everything (cartilage ok). Wear 2 braces - good to go 

It just plain sucks when the body starts saying, "Hey bud, we are getting near the end". Personally, I went through that with my shoulders and stopped at 34 after 23 years. Fast forward 16 years and some how I end up playing again even though it is just pick-up with 2 games thrown in over the past 5 years. I just look at it as I am week to week, and if I am too sore - my knees are the big problem these days; go figure right? - I let the ring leaders know I am not coming early enough to arrange for another goalie. If you still burn to play, my two cents is that you should ask your Dr. whether continuing puts you at risk of more damage. If it does, you have to consider the people who rely on you like a wife or children or your job. If not and assuming the pain is manageable for you, play but give yourself more rest. For me, that was the biggest thing: learning that even if I get in shape, being a 54 yr old meat bag requires more rest. My body just doesn't recover like it did. Sorry for your plight. I hope it works out best for you.

I’m really glad Fullright chimed in – we have had some discussions recently about joint pain, injury etc. and because of his age and experiences, I think he’s a good source for info.

He’s right that you also should consider the risk for more damage and what that means to not only yourself but others in your life.

As Bunny said, getting a number of opinions will probably allow you to make more informed decisions. To that end, you may consider dropping MariaMountain a line – she could at least explain the issues and the potential risks in an unbiased manner.

It would be easy for a guy like me who doesn’t (yet) have your issues to just say do it ‘til you can’t but that’s a decision that has to be made by someone who knows all the nuances that make up your life (i.e. someone that looks a lot like you).

Sorry my input isn’t really useful, probably at best, food for thought

Archived