Long Island Area Sharpening Service Recommendations?

Hello-

A follower of mine wants a Long Island, NY sharpener. He has had TERRIBLE luck. It seems he wants to keep it local, or I would do blades in the mail. In the end, I just want him to get what he needs, as he is having a TERRIBLE time getting a good hollow.

Thanks, gang!

Since he's in the Northeast, sharpen by mail with Bob at No Icing Sports is always a great option. It's what I've been doing and its been great. He's a throwback, consistent quality and exactly what you order. 

- It's $7/set of steel for the sharpening

- $15 roundtrip shipping ($7.50 to ship USPS each way using flate rate envelope - he tells you exactly how to do it on his site: www.skaterescueservice.com )

- In Tri-State Area it's about a 4 day turnaround (so long as you don't lose a shipping day with Sunday - i.e. ship out Mon-Wed for quickest turn)

- I send him two sets of steel each time so there's a little less total cost per set of steel - So about $14.50 per set of steel

It's a premium service but worth it for me since I can make it a month and a half on one set of steel and never have to worry about quality. 

39 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Since he's in the Northeast, sharpen by mail with Bob at No Icing Sports is always a great option. It's what I've been doing and its been great. He's a throwback, consistent quality and exactly what you order. 

- It's $7/set of steel for the sharpening

- $15 roundtrip shipping ($7.50 to ship USPS each way using flate rate envelope - he tells you exactly how to do it on his site: www.skaterescueservice.com )

- In Tri-State Area it's about a 4 day turnaround (so long as you don't lose a shipping day with Sunday - i.e. ship out Mon-Wed for quickest turn)

- I send him two sets of steel each time so there's a little less total cost per set of steel - So about $14.50 per set of steel

It's a premium service but worth it for me since I can make it a month and a half on one set of steel and never have to worry about quality. 

I am leaning towards sending him to a sharpen by mail person. I don’t profile yet or I’d just sell my services to him. It sounds like he needs a profile as well as a more conscientious sharpener. If one blade is blunt when he gets his skates back, there is a problem and I can’t solve it with a Sparx. 

On 7/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Hello-

A follower of mine wants a Long Island, NY sharpener. He has had TERRIBLE luck. It seems he wants to keep it local, or I would do blades in the mail. In the end, I just want him to get what he needs, as he is having a TERRIBLE time getting a good hollow.

Thanks, gang!

What part of Long Island?

• 3 weeks later...

When I last lived on Long Island, in 2004, I would drive all the way into Queens to get my girlfriend’s and my skates sharpened. I can’t remember the place’s name. I think we were having issues everywhere else and someone recommended this place. However, when I wanted to change the hollow I was using, the guy there claimed that 1/2” wasn’t a measurement for skate sharpening. And he was adamant. I’ve had a lot of issues with skate sharpening over the years. It’s amazing how many places that offer it don’t know anything about it. I lived in Huntington also. But that was 15 years ago. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Thanks for trying @WillyGrips13 and @SaveByRichter35. I think I am going to try to get him to a sharpen by mail programme.

Bunny a friend of mine has recently started a skate sharpening business not far from your guy in Huntington.  He is pretty much next town over in East Northport.  If your guy still needs a guy let me know lol

Archived