Swivel vision

Kieran Crawford

I was able to try my goggles yesterday in an organized shinny session.  I wore them for the first 45 minutes and removed them for the final 15.  Results - I will wear them for any pick-up, drop -in, or shinny session that I play.  They really helped with my puck tracking and forced me to lead with my eyes / head.  I admit to giving up a couple of quick pass movement goals that I normally wouldn't, but overall they are a great training tool.  Thank you to the original poster for introducing me to them.

-steve

• 4 months later...

I wonder if these would help me focus when I'm on conference calls as well... downside would be a reduction in sharing my incredible thoughts on everything from urinating in my gear to rebound control.

All joking aside... for $30 ($34 on the Amazon)... these will find their way into my bag for open skates. I get light hearted chirps for my gear nerdiness already... so what's one more piece of gear.

• 3 weeks later...

So I used them at a practice of sorts.  they definitely force you to move your head and it made me realize how dependent on my peripheral vision I am.  The main effect was on rebounds, but even behind the net I really had to move my head to follow.  I'll try using them in a warmup because your vision after you take them off is like "I can see!  I can see!"

• 4 months later...

Finally broke down and bought a set... still figuring out when I'd use them and have them be the effective training tool they are. Right now my options are...

• Mini-stick with the kids in the basement
  • Pick Up Hockey 
    • Not sure if a lower level skate with benders would be more harm then good (might need the peripheral)
    • Not sure if a higher level skate with decent players would provide the training environment these are designed for
  • Dodging wrenches at my local Average Joes
  • While working at home as I toggle between monitors

17 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Finally broke down and bought a set... still figuring out when I'd use them and have them be the effective training tool they are. Right now my options are...

• Pick Up Hockey 
    • Not sure if a lower level skate with benders would be more harm then good (might need the peripheral)
    • Not sure if a higher level skate with decent players would provide the training environment these are designed for

Pretty sure Benders or not, the purpose of these are to get your head moving to the shots and areas you want to go to.

As we all know with bender pick ups, that puck is bouncing, its flopping, its swimming just as much as the guys playing in front of you. If anything, it would be a good exercise.

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure Benders or not, the purpose of these are to get your head moving to the shots and areas you want to go to.

As we all know with bender pick ups, that puck is bouncing, its flopping, its swimming just as much as the guys playing in front of you. If anything, it would be a good exercise.

Yeah... you're right (as usual.) I guess I just meant that in some of those skates the ability to control skating is in question, and the peripheral helps avoid a collision when a guys washes out or has a yard sale.

Might also reach out to some guys on my regular Sunday skate team and see if anyone would be up for a stick and puck session before the season starts. God knows most of them could use the ice time as well. I'd bet they haven't been in a rink all summer either.

4 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Yeah... you're right (as usual.) I guess I just meant that in some of those skates the ability to control skating is in question, and the peripheral helps avoid a collision when a guys washes out or has a yard sale.

Might also reach out to some guys on my regular Sunday skate team and see if anyone would be up for a stick and puck session before the season starts. God knows most of them could use the ice time as well. I'd bet they haven't been in a rink all summer either. 

Hey, that's not only for benders. Skated last night with some teammates and friends who are at a decent level. Had one guy lose track to how far back he was and barrel me over. lol.

I have video of that and will be posting it tonight hopefully.

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

• Pick Up Hockey 

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball,

I tend to avoid lower level skates, they are always harmful.
At least once a session, I'm lined up with a guy on an off angle and some ding dong decides to take a full on slappers with decent power but no control while I'm not looking

Archived