I have lost me bloody mind!!!!

bunnyman666

What led me to buying a pair of TPS Icecaps with Brock tubes? 

Yep yep! They are the foot wide ones in pretty good nick, though they will get some new toe trims. 

Some modernish features include solid boot/no toe cap, more boxy shape. The throwback stuff includes nylon inner flaps that are not quite wide enough (or in the correct position) to be used as sliding surfaces. I thought they were hybrid pads, but are clearly stand up. 

I want to see why the Brock tubes were such a big deal. I will only wear these in non-competitive stick and puck sessions. 

Any experience with these pads?

Pix to come...

We may need to move this to mods section, as I am already optimising these bad boys to be a more butterfly-friendly pad, as I will have some jenpro knee flaps coming. I stacked up the ILP area with nearly 3" of stacks. Most of the landing would make these a LOT more butterfly compatible. Since the face and back side are stitched together rather than laced, installation of a professor strap will require more thought, though I could ratchet down the calf strap.

No- the only pic on Instagram @bunnydevildude is just a pic teasing yall (y'all sounds strange coming from my lips).

Pix to come, I promise!

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

We may need to move this to mods section, as I am already optimising these bad boys to be a more butterfly-friendly pad, as I will have some jenpro knee flaps coming. I stacked up the ILP area with nearly 3" of stacks. Most of the landing would make these a LOT more butterfly compatible. Since the face and back side are stitched together rather than laced, installation of a professor strap will require more thought, though I could ratchet down the calf strap.

No- the only pic on Instagram @bunnydevildude is just a pic teasing yall (y'all sounds strange coming from my lips).

Pix to come, I promise!

We will move it when you share pics!!! 

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

We will move it when you share pics!!! 

Of course! Like I said- it is a work in progress, though I can do comparison pix.

One interesting note: the leg channel is pretty open for an older pad. But again- it is still a more vintage-style build with the stitched, rather than laced construction. The leg channel material is bizarre. 

This is not a mint condition pad, which is why it is getting demonic rabbit treatments.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Looks like it has a decent knee landing surface. I'm guessing the calf wedge is just a thin nylon (like the outside calf protector on Premier pads)?

If so, they're probably useable as an old school hybrid pad.

What was on before was nylon and foam semi-circle. I added another pad stack. The strap laced through the inside of the flap. This was definitely a precursor to a modern sliding pad.

The calf protector is more interesting, as there isn't a wedge, but there is some rigidity to it.  

Update: Dennis Dombrowski has made a set of ILP's (a.k.a. knee flaps) in black weave to match these pads a bit better. I realise this is smooth jenpro and I am getting embossed on the knee flaps, but it does slide better. 

They have not arrived, so no pix YET. 

Archived