Removing Finger Protection on CCM EFlex 4 Blocker

Punisher Goalie

I am having a lot of difficulty with the finger protection on my CCM EFlex 4 blocker. Specifically, the extra piece over the index finger circled in green below. It is catching on my stick paddle and grip and I am considering removing it. 

Not sure if it is because I have a custom set, but mine is sewn in with lace as shown in the 2nd picture. My question is, has anyone removed this piece? On another blocker, I would hesitate to remove it, but with the CCM and the D30 in the finger, plus the additional finger sidewall, I’m thinking it may be enough protection on its own. For pickups and SNP, I use a stick with a GoalieBlock on the paddle too. 

D90C548B-6AB3-4A4E-B5E9-FA32EF218C8E.jpeg.4f819d99ef0c72ef850918cd6269c391.jpeg20E8B87A-3DF1-4DD7-89D2-EF1AC51E30EF.jpeg.96830f1716cd1f254972f29a18b11d50.jpeg

I have this problem with almost EVERY new blocker I get.It was dead awful on my 1X, but was much better with my 2x Pro. It needs to break in a bit and it will over time. Give it 10-15 skates before you go tearing it apart and see if it gets better. After a bit it will stop being so stiff and won't catch.

40 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I have this problem with almost EVERY new blocker I get.It was dead awful on my 1X, but was much better with my 2x Pro. It needs to break in a bit and it will over time. Give it 10-15 skates before you go tearing it apart and see if it gets better. After a bit it will stop being so stiff and won't catch.

If you order the 2X Pro with the Pro Custom method, you also get the option to remove the thumb pillow - I did this on my 2X blocker. This mod may also help with the lack of space in between the fingers and thumb issue that seems present on a lot of the new blocker designs.

22 minutes ago, Teezle said:

If you order the 2X Pro with the Pro Custom method, you also get the option to remove the thumb pillow - I did this on my 2X blocker. This mod may also help with the lack of space in between the fingers and thumb issue that seems present on a lot of the new blocker designs.

I don't think the thumb pillow is going to make any difference for this particular issue. The thumb pillow keeps the sidewall snug against your thumb and hand. The issue he's having is the finger protection attached to the backside of the blocker board being too stiff to open up enough to allow the stick to slide clean through.

11 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I don't think the thumb pillow is going to make any difference for this particular issue. The thumb pillow keeps the sidewall snug against your thumb and hand. The issue he's having is the finger protection attached to the backside of the blocker board being too stiff to open up enough to allow the stick to slide clean through.

Right, that’s what I am dealing with. I previously had a 1X blocker and it was also terrible. I jammed a tennis ball in that area to try to open it up over time, but it didn’t help much. I may get more aggressive using a spanner to break it in, but if it doesn’t help I’m probably going to try removing it. Luckily it is laced in so it looks like I could put it back if needed. 

3 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Right, that’s what I am dealing with. I previously had a 1X blocker and it was also terrible. I jammed a tennis ball in that area to try to open it up over time, but it didn’t help much. I may get more aggressive using a spanner to break it in, but if it doesn’t help I’m probably going to try removing it. Luckily it is laced in so it looks like I could put it back if needed. 

Yeah if it's laced in, definitely do it if you've tried breaking it in and it doesn't help. It's sewn in on Bauer, so I ended up dealing with it. Fortunately, the 2x Pro finger protection is not as aggressively shaped. Have you considered that you could make an adjustment with your technique? If you exaggerate the movement of loosening your grip, the outer index finger protection should pull away from the stick cleaner.

This is similar to how I feel about a lot of different pieces of "extra protection" and at the end of the day, it's one of those things where do you think you can live without it. Fortunately if it's easily removable - that's a plus instead of destroying/cutting gear and not being able to reaffix it later.  

1 hour ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Yeah if it's laced in, definitely do it if you've tried breaking it in and it doesn't help. It's sewn in on Bauer, so I ended up dealing with it. Fortunately, the 2x Pro finger protection is not as aggressively shaped. Have you considered that you could make an adjustment with your technique? If you exaggerate the movement of loosening your grip, the outer index finger protection should pull away from the stick cleaner.

Yeah, that is a good suggestion as well. If I am just practicing the move I can usually force myself to loosen early enough to help somewhat, but where I’m really struggling is in the heat of a game situation I seem to be unable to make it happen smoothly. But your point is well-taken - further practice could eliminate the problem. 

20 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah, that is a good suggestion as well. If I am just practicing the move I can usually force myself to loosen early enough to help somewhat, but where I’m really struggling is in the heat of a game situation I seem to be unable to make it happen smoothly. But your point is well-taken - further practice could eliminate the problem. 

Practice is ALWAYS the answer isn't it? Unfortunately most of us don't have the time to practice as much as we should.

Archived