Paw neck guard review

One year review of my paw neck guard.

Last year I realised my ccm neck guard wasn’t protecting me well enough, especially my weirdly long neck. After looking around I a bit I decided my best option was a custom one from PAW.

Ordering:

The ordering process was pretty easy, a few emails and I had ordered.The spec I went with was a PNG7500 bib with a PNG1500 neck, a piece of nash on the underside of the bib to stop it rotating, but not enough to where to would soak up all my sweat. Neoprene in the neck area for comfort, and some HDairgel for protection.(pictured without the side flaps)

photo_2019-11-14_01-50-49.thumb.jpg.c47b5396981e549d73a809701fd82aa5.jpg

photo_2019-11-14_01-50-55.thumb.jpg.01ff805b9bc717d6a61edd8eab1690d7.jpg

Issues:

I’ll get my 1 issue with the neck guard out of the way first. The side flaps on the neck where swine in on the inside of the neck, which meant the binding would rub on my neck. This could have been fixed by stitching the flaps to the outside of the neck and or using different material on the edge of the flap. I ended up just removing the flaps.774332691_2018-06-0914_24_15.thumb.jpg.200c18c7fd2b6d2b7c07efa96265c941.jpg.a3361568cefc8ef80211879c2edd5e7b.jpg

I did get a small refund from paw, so I cant dock too many points for this. Here is the thread about this:

Build quality:

The build quality is great, all the stitching is well done. No skimping on thread here! It has softened up abit since I got it, but I don’t feel like the foams will break down any time soon. In the year ive used it (2 sessions a week) , it has no wear at all.

photo_2019-11-14_01-51-18.thumb.jpg.08f05062b4dafff7ba8fbe59dad270d5.jpg

Performance:

Performance has been great. It covers the front neck along with the sides and back (where I in fact took a shot to last week, felt it but didn’t hurt as much as it would have if I hadn’t been wearing anything), upper chest and collar bones. No problem taking shots to the neck or any parts of the neck guard. Im so confident in the neck guard ive removed my dangler! There is a small gap between the lower bib and the rigid upright piece of about >1cm, not too worried about a puck finding its way in there but it’s worth noting. The neck guard has also stayed in place really well, no rotating or getting caught on anything.

Comfort:

It is a bit hot and heavy, but I’m willing to deal with that for the performance. The neck material I got is super soft and pleasant on the skin, no rubbing or chafing. The velcro on the back is hook side facing out loop side facing in, which is the only way to do it.

photo_2019-11-14_01-51-10.thumb.jpg.94c9855dfba87996908263fdf9be35c0.jpgphoto_2019-11-14_01-51-01.jpg

Overall I very happy with the neck guard and I can recommend PAW neck guards to anyone especially people with specific neck needs.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

As far as build quality goes, you have to be pretty good, if not great to beat Sara. She is in that elusive club of great fabricators. 

Ditto! I have her PAW Knee Pads (best I have ever worn) and she has re-gloved a blocker of mine too...awesome work all around and soooo easy to work with

10 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

My current paw neck guard is nearing the end of its usefulness for me. Not because it’s worn out but because the neck just isn’t y’all enough anymore. These things are tanks and if I didn’t grow any I imagine I could use this for another 5-10 years. 

You could use some padskins and make it more y'all like your pads :)

21 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

You could use some padskins and make it more y'all like your pads :)

Typo on the “y’all”. My bad. I type it enough that it replaces tall every time I try to type it.

Or, I could order a custom graphic since I need a taller neck guard anyways. I’m thinking lightning though. You can blame Ken Block for my slight obsession with lightning bolts.

image.thumb.png.bb6071588ed8e8f6500ea75f72f7aab2.png

16 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Typo on the “y’all”. My bad. I type it enough that it replaces tall every time I try to type it.

Or, I could order a custom graphic since I need a taller neck guard anyways. I’m thinking lightning though. You can blame Ken Block for my slight obsession with lightning bolts.

image.thumb.png.bb6071588ed8e8f6500ea75f72f7aab2.png

Would LOVE to see some rally inspired goalie graphics, imagine pads and gloves in martini colours with sponsors and all :x

Archived