My Factory Mad experience

bunnyman666

Trying these bad boys out finally. I was going to have Dennis rework a set of pads when he offered me the opportunity to try his Ultralights.

Thus far, my main impressions are that you better have your breezer inseam spot on as he uses every available square inch of area legally usable with the ILP area. An adjustment of my braces was needed to make certain the inseam did not catch. Conversely, my Vaughn and Brian’s (GP#2 mk 1 and 2) have a narrower ILP. They don’t quite get caught in my breezers.

Rebounds are a lot deader. You can still get a lively rebound in some places. Solid core pads always bounce rebounds more than shredded foam or foam worm stuffed pads. But definitely softer rebounds.

Workmanship is top notch. This demo set has seen a lot of action, but has not squatted down. 

They are not only light, but feel light on the legs.

I am going to exhaustively test these for a bit. Dennis’ generous demo programme allows you to live with them (within reason) to see how you like them. 

Here is the Insta photo of these new (they have a bit more wear now): 

80D6F8DC-46E2-4B1A-AC1F-E2D208A8F7AE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I do not need a Professor strap for good rotation. Between the leg channel design and the strapping, they rotate well. This is certainly a different approach than what has become standard concept and design for good rotation. 

I can close the five hole like I can in a shorter pad. This is related to the way the ILP are situated. Dennis touts that he uses every bit of area LEGAL in the NHL for the ILP. I would have to do some measuring to compare.

Let me clarify the first sentence of the last paragraph: no, these pads did not give me new hip flexibility, but my knees stop pucks in the five hole. You had BETTER wear Factory Mad knee guards with these, ESPECIALLY if you have poor flexibility like yours truly. The knee stacks come together. Knees come together. 

You will have to buy into Dennis Dombrowski’s concepts to embrace his pads. Flexible pads are a great thing, softer face pads allow you to kick rebounds out if you want; etc., etc. I don’t think the gear has a steep learning curve, and the philosophies are solid. But the current market trends toward stiff pads with super-hot rebounds; these are not that, but are CERTAINLY NOT yesterday’s twist’n’shout stand up pads. Rebounds don’t die six inches from the end of your boot, nor are these pads leg-worn one-timer trainers. They are truly singular in the world of ubiquitous, hot rebound, stiff pads. Simply stated, they are Factory pads.

This is truly the Porsche of pads. Great design, solid engineering. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Going to the general store, and getting into line to get my new Stetson and ride my horse to the ranch.

That American enough? 😃

Yes. Just make sure you drive the largest and least efficient vehicle even though the store is within walking distance. Also, leave it idling as you go inside the store. After a successful purchase, celebrate by firing your weapon in the air, shouting, “Yee-haw!” 
‘Merica

4 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Yes. Just make sure you drive the largest and least efficient vehicle even though the store is within walking distance. Also, leave it idling as you go inside the store. After a successful purchase, celebrate by firing your weapon in the air, shouting, “Yee-haw!” 
‘Merica

Add a Ric Flair “WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!”, as well?

On 11/25/2019 at 10:27 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I do not need a Professor strap for good rotation. Between the leg channel design and the strapping, they rotate well. This is certainly a different approach than what has become standard concept and design for good rotation. 

I can close the five hole like I can in a shorter pad. This is related to the way the ILP are situated. Dennis touts that he uses every bit of area LEGAL in the NHL for the ILP. I would have to do some measuring to compare.

Let me clarify the first sentence of the last paragraph: no, these pads did not give me new hip flexibility, but my knees stop pucks in the five hole. You had BETTER wear Factory Mad knee guards with these, ESPECIALLY if you have poor flexibility like yours truly. The knee stacks come together. Knees come together. 

You will have to buy into Dennis Dombrowski’s concepts to embrace his pads. Flexible pads are a great thing, softer face pads allow you to kick rebounds out if you want; etc., etc. I don’t think the gear has a steep learning curve, and the philosophies are solid. But the current market trends toward stiff pads with super-hot rebounds; these are not that, but are CERTAINLY NOT yesterday’s twist’n’shout stand up pads. Rebounds don’t die six inches from the end of your boot, nor are these pads leg-worn one-timer trainers. They are truly singular in the world of ubiquitous, hot rebound, stiff pads. Simply stated, they are Factory pads.

This is truly the Porsche of pads. Great design, solid engineering. 

These sound a lot like my Bauer x:60's with regard to rebound control I had in college except updated with modern technology. I loved the five hole-closure, the profile of the pad but after graduating decided the rebound control didn't fit with my play anymore. Most rebounds were just far enough for me not to cover them and not far enough to shoot out to the corners and half boards. I have 1S pads right now and while I wish I had better five-hole closure with them I love the rebounds. 

6 hours ago, Cruskater said:

These sound a lot like my Bauer x:60's with regard to rebound control I had in college except updated with modern technology. I loved the five hole-closure, the profile of the pad but after graduating decided the rebound control didn't fit with my play anymore. Most rebounds were just far enough for me not to cover them and not far enough to shoot out to the corners and half boards. I have 1S pads right now and while I wish I had better five-hole closure with them I love the rebounds. 

It’s funny you mention that. I was getting some crazy rebounds when pucks would hit my knee standing up, but that is all the extra (knee guard) backing up the pad. It has been mentioned that there is a technique for totally dead rebounds and I did that by accident once! Need to learn the technique...

I was sold on super hot rebounds until people I played with figured them out! They would hit my pads and they would one time off of the pad. I had a few go in with shots I had no idea were coming. Yes- these were the same guys who would try bouncing pucks off my feet and my arse! 

I can’t say enough good things about these pads! I am going to build modern puck foils for these soon and they will do everything I need.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived