Anyone go from 1X leg pads to 2X? Worth it?

1C5

I've had my 1X pads for a while now and have been extremely happy with them. I'm starting to see some decent deals on used 2X pads now...just wondering what the main differences are and if you are happy you upgraded or if you didn't notice much difference?

have not used them, but the main differences are-

boot angle (2x has a 100 degree boot angle whereas 1x was closer to supreme which is 125 degrees)
boot is much softer on 2x compared to 1x

cortech st

updated knee stack (was thinned out a little from the 1x to 2x)

There are upgrades but the overall performance is very much the same.  If your 1X are in good shape then your really just doing it because the deals are good and or style of the pad looks better.   I have 2x pro's I wear for games and a set of beat up 1x that I'll throw on for pick up and no issues going back and forth.

28 minutes ago, Almost Hip said:

There are upgrades but the overall performance is very much the same.  If your 1X are in good shape then your really just doing it because the deals are good and or style of the pad looks better.   I have 2x pro's I wear for games and a set of beat up 1x that I'll throw on for pick up and no issues going back and forth.

Thanks for the reply. My 1X are holding up well (great based on the Bauer horror stories) so I'll probably stick with them unless I find a killer deal on a 2X set. I do like the 1X so much that I have no desire to try another pad other than the 2X. 

1 minute ago, 1C5 said:

Thanks for the reply. My 1X are holding up well (great based on the Bauer horror stories) so I'll probably stick with them unless I find a killer deal on a 2X set. I do like the 1X so much that I have no desire to try another pad other than the 2X. 

I'm in the same boat @1C5.  I have a set of 1X pads that I love using and *knock on wood* have held up well since I started using them last year playing 2 - 3 times a week.  Thanks for asking this very question as I was curious as well.  How have your 1X's held up around the binding at the knee?  I try to take care of my gear as much as possible and went as far as to place some vinyl repair patches over the binding to help maintain them.  I've also placed some around the boot as we've seen so many crack there.  I figured, better to reinforce it before any cracks happen.

5 minutes ago, Deltadre said:

I'm in the same boat @1C5.  I have a set of 1X pads that I love using and *knock on wood* have held up well since I started using them last year playing 2 - 3 times a week.  Thanks for asking this very question as I was curious as well.  How have your 1X's held up around the binding at the knee?  I try to take care of my gear as much as possible and went as far as to place some vinyl repair patches over the binding to help maintain them.  I've also placed some around the boot as we've seen so many crack there.  I figured, better to reinforce it before any cracks happen.

Smart move with the reinforcements. I had to repair one of the knee bindings, it came apart so I sewed it back up and it's been good since then. 

And yes mine cracked at both boots so I just put some super glue where they were starting to crack and that seems to have stopped it from cracking further. Your solution is much more elegant lol. 

But other than those small issues, the pad performance is still great. Good sliding and the rebounds still shoot out far which I love. That alone has saved me from so many goals as my rebounds with my old soft pads were horrible. 

1 hour ago, 1C5 said:

Smart move with the reinforcements. I had to repair one of the knee bindings, it came apart so I sewed it back up and it's been good since then. 

And yes mine cracked at both boots so I just put some super glue where they were starting to crack and that seems to have stopped it from cracking further. Your solution is much more elegant lol. 

But other than those small issues, the pad performance is still great. Good sliding and the rebounds still shoot out far which I love. That alone has saved me from so many goals as my rebounds with my old soft pads were horrible. 

Thanks.  I did a lot of reading of posts in forums and asked some equipment repair folks before doing it.  Ended up buying a roll of Tear-Aid type B vinyl repair off amazon.  This stuff is great and holds up well.  I'm starting to see some of the patches come off at the knee but for the most part, it's still holding and protecting the binding as needed.  No sign of it coming off around the boot yet.  So far for a skate cut, I used E6000.  It's held up well too.

Yeah I love how well these perform.  Sliding and rebounds have been awesome.  Again, just hoping they will last me a long time.

I used padskinz material to patch up the cracked boot areas on the 1x 

It took me two skates to get the 2x dialed in, swapped in the longer straps and adjusted all their lengths etc as well as toe ties.  I strapped everything in the same location but fresh straps compared to well used stretched out ones is probably why it took the few skates rather than just put it on and go.

I don't think I would have ended up in Bauer pads if not for the opportunity to try the 1X's.  I only did it while I was getting some Velcro repairs on my Vision 9500.  When I put them back on they felt like boat anchors and I immediately went back to the 1X's,  it's a shame Vaughn doesn't have a trial program like Bauer does with stores.

45 minutes ago, Almost Hip said:

I used padskinz material to patch up the cracked boot areas on the 1x 

It took me two skates to get the 2x dialed in, swapped in the longer straps and adjusted all their lengths etc as well as toe ties.  I strapped everything in the same location but fresh straps compared to well used stretched out ones is probably why it took the few skates rather than just put it on and go.

I don't think I would have ended up in Bauer pads if not for the opportunity to try the 1X's.  I only did it while I was getting some Velcro repairs on my Vision 9500.  When I put them back on they felt like boat anchors and I immediately went back to the 1X's,  it's a shame Vaughn doesn't have a trial program like Bauer does with stores.

I was very fortunate to get my 1X's. 

I was at a local retailer when I came across a set of Total One's on clearance.  I made a low ball offer to the store manager to buy them and he accepted.  Used those for my winter season.  After roughly 40 games I read about defects with those pads on GGSU and thought I should check mine as I noticed a bubble across the width of the Total One's at the knee.  Sure enough my pads had cracked inside the pads.  After speaking with the retailer and not getting any help from Bauer, I followed-up with Bauer.  I think I just got lucky because I spoke to someone at Bauer in quality control who stated they were aware of the defect and agreed to replace my pads.  They were supposed to give me S190 pads but didn't have any available at that time.  So after going back and forth with them, to make a long story short, I ended up with my 1X's.

2x or 2x Pro's? If you're looking at 2x sets, you're comparing last generation pro pads to this generation senior pads. There will be a drop in quality and features. If you're looking at 2x Pro pads, there are some worthwhile upgrades. Personally, I probably would not have upgrade to the 2x Pros if it weren't for the additional color options. It was time for me to buy my first custom set and I wanted something cool. The bungee straps are great, but I was already using HALs before. I do appreciate the more durable CORETech ST. But none of the new features was a game changer for me. Note that sizing won't be 1:1 with the 2x Pro. The 2x Pro plays a little higher than the 1x, so I went from being borderline S/M in 1x to being fully in a S in 2x Pro. Unless you're just dead set on buying something new, or your old set is breaking down, I don't really see a killer feature on the 2x Pro to justify it. A couple downsides are that the knee sliding surface is now jenpro as opposed to a hard plastic. Does not affect performance and in fact sliding feels much more controlled than before, but I really liked the plastic. One other difference is that I haven't been able to put a curve into the 2x Pro as easily as the 1x so keep that in mind.

Archived