Warrior G5 calf wrap

Ross

Can anyone explain to me why Warrior designs the calf wrap so it has to rest on top of the knee stack when the pad is flexed at the break below the knee?

Below are pictures of my G5 pros and you can see in the first picture how the calf wrap rests on top of the knee stack. I’ve stored the pads upside down so that they have a nice curve thanks to the break below the knee.  

The issue I have with this is that sometimes while I’m playing the pads will straighten up and then they won’t return to the nice curve as the calf wrap hits the knee stack rather than riding back over it. See the second picture.

I strap the sling wrap and webbing around my knee instead of down to the calf wrap. 

No other pads I’ve seen do this. They all have the calf wrap shaped so that when the pad is flexed at the break below the knee, the top edge of the calf wrap just touches the bottom edge of the knee stack, they do not have it so that the calf wrap sits on top of the knee stack.

On my G3 pads I cut off the section of calf wrap that rests on the knee stack when the pad is flexed and noticed no negatives.

So before I cut this area off on my G5’s can anyone explain the virtue of this design?

9989CEC4-C118-417B-AA5F-AD4F16EADDD0.jpeg

4D60C4FB-C1A3-41B8-9DF0-21DBCD36ADEB.jpeg

I can see how running the strap down to the calf wrap would help to hold the pad in a curved position with the calf wrap staying on top of the knee stack all the time however I prefer a pad that flexes at the break below the knee so that it’s straighter when needed and then curved when needed. After all this is the function of a break. If I wanted the pad to stay in a curved position then there’s no need for a break, just get them made curved.

I use Warrior need pads.

1 minute ago, netminder said:

Its a very poor design and i suspect its like that because the top of the calf wege and the bottom of the knee block have the very biggest gap opeing in all pro models. Ever get a zinger from a low profile puck clip that are of spacing before, its not fun and thats with pads with much less gap then the G5's..

Have you considered playing a modern style or wearing knee pads. Either of those fixes that problem in a heartbeat from my experience. Never in my experience have I gotten a puck between the calf plate and the knee block. Maybe this is because I use the correct size pads or maybe it’s because I play a modern game that eliminates the chance of that side of the pad ever seeing the puck 

Never had a lack of protection issue with the G5 or G3 pads.

I just find it strange that in order to flex the pad at the break below the knee the top of the calf wrap has to slide on and off the knee stack. It does this easy enough if you hold the pad and flex it by hand however when your in the butterfly, with you knee pressing down on the knee stack, and you go to a wide butterfly, where the pad should be straighter, the calf wrap slides off the knee stack and then while still in the butterfly if you narrow it by bringing your feet closer together, where the pad should flex at the break and have more curvature to close the 5 hole, the top of the calf wrap needs to slide back on top of the knee stack however it’s hard for it to do that while your knee is pressing down on the knee stack.

I’ll see if I can get some pictures with my gear on to show what I mean.

22 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Have you considered playing a modern style or wearing knee pads. Either of those fixes that problem in a heartbeat from my experience. Never in my experience have I gotten a puck between the calf plate and the knee block. Maybe this is because I use the correct size pads or maybe it’s because I play a modern game that eliminates the chance of that side of the pad ever seeing the puck 

I use my landing area for some saves and I've never had any issues on any of my pads with pucks sneaking through. 

It is netminder, so take what he says about warrior products with a grain of salt as he's very negatively biased against the brand for some reason. 

@Ross I've been using GT and GT2 sets for the past few years and haven't any any issues with that calf wrap binding up.

I do wear the knee strap down to the calf with warrior knee pads. 

Just wondering, have you loosened up the calf wrap? I wonder if doing so would help the calf wrap be more flexible and not interfere. 

Archived