Game Ready Gloves

TheGoalNet

I learned an interesting piece of info over the last few weeks that will probably blow most of your minds. This has been confirmed by both Brian's and CCM. 

Most of their pros use a "Game Ready" break for their game gloves. These gloves are basically the same "Game Ready" you buy at Retail. It's not a beefier "pro stock" game ready like many of us would assume 

Other than like a D3 or lower level junior kid who only has 1 glove for practice and games, kinda of makes most us getting pro palms seem like overkill? 

22 minutes ago, Drew37 said:

Yeah, I like protection but prefer funtionality.  If I can't close my glove I might as well wear 2 blockers.  When stingers happen it's just a reminder to catch the puck in the pocket?

That was actually my first thought too. Do so many beer league guys like a pro palm because they dont get to practice anymore and don't get as many into the pocket as in years past? 

My Optik is coming game ready and I am looking forward to it! 

Right out of college I ordered my first custom piece of gear. It was a 580 with Premier graphics. I thought I was pretty cool for getting the pro palm. 

35 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

That was actually my first thought too. Do so many beer league guys like a pro palm because they dont get to practice anymore and don't get as many into the pocket as in years past? 

Right out of college I ordered my first custom piece of gear. It was a 580 with Premier graphics. I thought I was pretty cool for getting the pro palm. 

I opted for Pro Palm on my gloves to take away a bit of that sting, but still get it to snap once well broken in, and just a bit more longevity. Granted I bought 2 (1 of which is still in the plastic almost 3 years later) so durability wasn't super high on the priority list, but always good to have a spare especially when you go custom.

49 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yeah, maybe.  I understand the guys that do that though.  This is just a hobby.  Some might not want to risk a broken finger if it may affect their ability to work.  My gloves are pro, I wouldn't use bottom of line, paper thin gloves but getting practice palms are overkill imo.

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I opted for Pro Palm on my gloves to take away a bit of that sting, but still get it to snap once well broken in, and just a bit more longevity. Granted I bought 2 (1 of which is still in the plastic almost 3 years later) so durability wasn't super high on the priority list, but always good to have a spare especially when you go custom.

Pro palm for longevity is a valid point I hadn't considered. 

To be clear, when im saying game ready here, I mean the pro glove with game ready break in. There was a response above that made me unsure if they understood what I mean. 

Theres plenty of people who order beefed palms and use them because they think it's required. Im starting to think it's really over kill for most guys 

21 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Pro palm for longevity is a valid point I hadn't considered. 

To be clear, when im saying game ready here, I mean the pro glove with game ready break in. There was a response above that made me unsure if they understood what I mean. 

Theres plenty of people who order beefed palms and use them because they think it's required. Im starting to think it's really over kill for most guys 

Yeah, practice palm is about frequency not speed. Guys are shooting just as hard in practice. (Just as Montoya!) The chances of catching one at the break don't change, but the opportunity increases dramatically in practice.  That extra layer or two helps reduce that. 

I will play devil’s advocate, especially since I AM a DEMONIC rabbit...

What a pro does is plain different. Brodeur played in what was essentially a SENIOR unit for a CA; it was TOTALLY clapped out!!!! Belfour played with slightly more protective than street hockey pads!!!! King Hank played with a PRACTISE PALM for years.

Most of us are too soft to do what a pro does. 

My hands make my living; I don’t give a FUCK that a pro uses something with less padding; I NEED to PROTECT my HANDS!!!!

9 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I will play devil’s advocate, especially since I AM a DEMONIC rabbit...

What a pro does is plain different. Brodeur played in what was essentially a SENIOR unit for a CA; it was TOTALLY clapped out!!!! Belfour played with slightly more protective than street hockey pads!!!! King Hank played with a PRACTISE PALM for years.

Most of us are too soft to do what a pro does. 

My hands make my living; I don’t give a FUCK that a pro uses something with less padding; I NEED to PROTECT my HANDS!!!!

I think we can all agree that you should chose a glove break and palm that works for you. The thread's purpose was just to highlight the differences I think. We all need our hands (or at least one of them) and should't sacrifice common sense protection just because some guy who gets paid to play this game does.

As for Hank using a practice palm in games, he also pretty much uses his glove as a second blocker. BUT, that works for his game.

6 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I think we can all agree that you should chose a glove break and palm that works for you. The thread's purpose was just to highlight the differences I think. We all need our hands (or at least one of them) and should't sacrifice common sense protection just because some guy who gets paid to play this game does.

As for Hank using a practice palm in games, he also pretty much uses his glove as a second blocker. BUT, that works for his game.

Hank’s style has worked for twelve seasons. Hank is as unique as Hasek was in his day. 

And I don’t disagree with your first point. I just have to be the fly in the ointment, especially when it is said “if it works for a pro...”, as I think even the hardest of us Joe Average goalies is softer than the lowliest of lowly minor leaguers. 

My two cents is.. for any goalie playing anywhere from Pee Wee - Men's league, only need a Game-ready palm (especially from Brian's, I have no experience with other brands) 

I recommend some college/pro guys to use a Pro palm or Pro beefed palm for practices. College goalies generally only get 2 gloves per season, so having one have a pro palm will ensure it lasts through 4 days a week of practices all season limiting the stingers. Pro guys get many gloves, but in practices they are facing the hardest shots possible and they need to stay protected as their job is on the line. 

In my mind there is nothing 'cool' about pro/practice palms.. its literally just another layer of tricot foam that is inserted, which causes the glove to have a less defined break, affects closure, and limits your feel of the puck. I think you should be able to feel the puck a bit and an occasional stinger.. we aren't taking hard hits like the players, whats a couple stingers.. 

Guys like Halak in the past (STL days) used to beef up the gloves so much, you could barely close the gloves.. and it was evident, he wasn't catching anything and the equip guys were giving him shit for it... These days he uses a game ready glove and catching much better and enjoying the closure.

Personally I only use game-ready domestic gloves but I would never choose to wear an import model glove with lesser materials. So as long as you go with a pro level product, you should have no concern.

Archived