Buying new pads, could use advice!

Puckducker

I want to purchase new pads in the next couple months and I'm torn. I'm currently in a set of Simmon's UL6's that I've really loved and initially I just assumed I'd be looking to get something as similar as possible (Vaughn Pro Carbon XF probably). But it's been 7+ years since I've got new pads, and with all the changes that have been made over that time, I don't know if I should be embracing this stuff or sticking as close as possible to what I know. 

I'm looking right now between the Pro Carbon XF's, the G-Netik 3 Pro and the Eflex 3's

I'm actually surprised how few (good) reviews/write ups I can find online for these sets, which makes choosing difficult. I thought I had settled for the Eflex 3's, but when I tried out a pair of G-Netik 3's, they sat really well that it certainly gave me pause. I also plan on ordering custom, and really would prefer the quality/durability of stuff made in Canada (where the Eflex 3's are coming from China)

So does anyone have any on ice opinions on any of these 3 sets? Or should I maybe hold out a little longer for when the Brian's Optik's become available? 

If you’re considering Brian’s go with the Optik.  They offer a flex option and stiff option.  Low weight too. Solid early reviews including a stellar review from @TheGoalNet

If you go custom thru Vaughn your looking at 7-8 months. 

I also have to throw Warrior into the mix. I have RGT’s and love them. Light and super functional. I’m waiting for the G4 or next Gen ritual line for custom. 

@Puckducker - no initial impressions yet, I will skate next week. 

Heres some EF3 pad info:

Here’s Warrior R G/T:

Here’s my impression on Brian’s durability:

Aside from that...

- what do you want in a pad?

- aside from lead time, what else is make of break for you? 

- if you don’t care about custom, now might be a great time to cop GNetik 3 as it will be on sale soon 

Awesome, thanks for posting the reviews, I'll dig into them.

Regarding what I want in a pad, I'm pretty sure I'd like something that's got more flex to it. But honestly, that's just because the UL6's I've worn the past 7 years have been crazy flexible. So it's tough to say whether that's something I should stick to, or if I'd actually improve my game if I got something a bit more rigid. I think I'd want to stay away from the really stiff lines, but I think I'd be comfortable moving into something closer to a hybrid, since I do find my super soft UL6's tend to not seal up the ice or 5 hole perfectly. 

Quality/Durability is also a big thing for me, since I'm on the ice 5 times a week and I don't like replacing gear regularly. So that's partially why I'm leaning more into Brians/Vaughn, rather than stuff built overseas. 

The GNetik 3's might be a good scoop with the Optik's coming out now, but I'm pretty set on a custom order.

Ha, reading through that GNetik review, the first few paragraphs almost sound like I wrote it. Describes where I'm currently sitting to a T. 

Also, @cwarnar thanks for the recommendation on the RGT's. I went out and tried on a pair today. Loved how they felt as soon as I stood up in them. Moved well with my leg and still had some decent flex to them. I think they've shot up my consideration list, though I'm still going to do some reading up.

Any thoughts on how the GT's hold up on durability? The set I tried on in store were made in Veitnam, but I'm hoping that custom orders are assembled in North America? 

I think my only other hesitation was that the knee stack felt little small when compared to most other pads. I never felt like I was falling off it, and I really tried to bounce around on my knees a lot to try and shake off it, and always felt like I was securely in place. Does anyone know if people have had issue's with the size in the past? 

21 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

Ha, reading through that GNetik review, the first few paragraphs almost sound like I wrote it. Describes where I'm currently sitting to a T. 

Also, @cwarnar thanks for the recommendation on the RGT's. I went out and tried on a pair today. Loved how they felt as soon as I stood up in them. Moved well with my leg and still had some decent flex to them. I think they've shot up my consideration list, though I'm still going to do some reading up.

Any thoughts on how the GT's hold up on durability? The set I tried on in store were made in Veitnam, but I'm hoping that custom orders are assembled in North America? 

I think my only other hesitation was that the knee stack felt little small when compared to most other pads. I never felt like I was falling off it, and I really tried to bounce around on my knees a lot to try and shake off it, and always felt like I was securely in place. Does anyone know if people have had issue's with the size in the past? 

All Warrior stuff is made overseas... but the Warrior team including @Kirk3190 and Pete Smith himself ensure the highest of product quality. 

As @chakal can attest to the new Warrior Gear has stood the gruelling test of time. Wear spots are minimal and the gear in general holds up. 

If the smaller knee stack is an issue, consider the G3’s. they offer a bigger stack plus few other small differences. Here is an excellent comparison of the 2 lines - http://blog.goaliemonkey.com/warrior-ritual-side-by-side-comparison-g3-gt/

I thin the perfect set up is G3 pads and RGT Gloves 

13 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Puckducker - Brian’s and Vaughn are the only ones with made in Canada for custom retail orders. For Warrior, Bauer, or CCM, retial customers get off shore gear 

Warrior pads come with a small warranty, like 3 or 6 months? 

Warrior warranty is - 180 day (6 Month) Warranty against defects in material and manufacturing under normal and recommended use.

Ah, that's too bad that it's not assembled here. I don't have empirical data to back it up, but all the gear I've got that's come from oversea's has started breaking down after less than a year. For the smaller stuff it doesn't really bother me, but for pads (especially custom orders) I'd like to know that stuff is going to last. 

The smaller knee stack doesn't necessarily bother me, just something I noticed and wasn't sure if it could be an issue. I felt the sling wrap kept me perfectly secure, so it didn't seem like too worrying. 

I'll have to give the G3's a try as well. I think I'm probably going to hold off until I can at least try on a pair of Optiks, so that'll still give me a few weeks to do a bit more research. 

47 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

@Kirk3190, can you comment at all on the quality/durability of the pro stock? That's currently the only downside for me with the Ritual GT's. I play 4 to 5 times a week, and buy pro stock because I want my gear to last. 

This was a huge hang up for me... I was a LOYAL Smith User before Pete left for Warrior.  One thing that turned me off the brand was the off shore production.  In seeing sets being built and seeing long term use reviews (mostly on the RGT and G3) lines, I would say that Warriors off shore production is superior to some north american made gear.

I would put Warrior on terms with Brians and Passau for craftsmanship and quality.  This really shouldn't be a sticking point, but I can understand why it is.

That's good to hear. Honestly I don't "want" to be hung up on it (though all things being equal I'd be happier to support local manufacturing), it's just my only personal experience with buying oversea's gear hasn't been great (though, that gear also wasn't pro-stock so I the quality was already going to be lower). 

That being said, I did just get the Eflex 3 glove/blocker this summer, and those have been great (so far).

@cwarnar, are you using the Warrior knee pads with your RGT's? I'm currently using Bauer Supreme's, but I'm planning on replacing them with some Passau's. The passau's are pretty large though, and I don't know if I might have an issue with the smaller knee stack. 

5 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

@cwarnar, are you using the Warrior knee pads with your RGT's? I'm currently using Bauer Supreme's, but I'm planning on replacing them with some Passau's. The passau's are pretty large though, and I don't know if I might have an issue with the smaller knee stack. 

I should be but I'm having a hell of a time getting them.  My RGT's were a demo set, and the sales guy "forgot" to send them with my set.  I'm working on getting them re-sent, along with ARS toe straps that were not included either

51 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

That's good to hear. Honestly I don't "want" to be hung up on it (though all things being equal I'd be happier to support local manufacturing), it's just my only personal experience with buying oversea's gear hasn't been great (though, that gear also wasn't pro-stock so I the quality was already going to be lower). 

That being said, I did just get the Eflex 3 glove/blocker this summer, and those have been great (so far).

Passau's have great protection but are large, even when purchased at the smaller size they were just bulky. I wear a custom set of Retroflexes with w VERY open knee and it just felt awkward. I went and modified them to work for me and have been VERY happy with how everything turned out...

Yeah I actually was looking at your mod over the weekend. Clever idea, might have to see if this is something I can do with my other pads. The Bauer Supreme pads I've got have been fantastic, perfect size and very protective....just they started to fall apart a few months after wearing them. 

3 hours ago, Puckducker said:

Ah, that sucks to hear. Especially missing the ARS strap, I think that would definitely make a big difference compared to standard laces.

What knee pads are you using instead?

None right now... I sold my Brown 2400's as I sort out this mess with the Source for Sports I bought them from

19 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

@cwarnar @Kirk3190, how is the repair-ability of the RGTs? Replacing straps and what not. Can all the straps/buckles be swapped out if they were to rip or break? I'm specifically thinking of the neoprene sling wrap, can that be easily detached and replaced? 

Likely the velcro would have to be completely stripped before you'd need to replace the calf wrap or sling wrap.  The sling wrap appears to be velcro'd into the knee block... I was even able to get it out at all.

I snapped some pics of the various parts of the pads that could be swapped.  The one that interests my is removing the post wedge.  I likely won't do this on this set, as I'm really wanting to sample a set of the new G4's (or whatever they will be called) as I think they'll suit my style a little bit more than the RGT's.  I'd like to get a pile of skates in tho before I make that decision.

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the detailed pictures! When it comes to durability, it's the strapping I'm always worried will be the first thing to go. If the velcro starts losing it's grip, suddenly the whole pad is worthless. 

But if it can be swapped out, the durability of those failure points isn't as big a concern. 

I just picked up some Gnetik 2's on sale. Love the feel of them. Haven't taken them on the ice yet tho, since my current Velo's are only in their 2nd season. I tried some RGT's on in the store but had some issues with the thighrises (too big and stiff). Pro XF's look interesting, usually can't go wrong with Vaughn (Warrior is the opposite, you never know what their pads are gonna be like). CCM, well either you like Lefevere pads or not (I don't). But anyway, your call. I'd look for some Brian's on sale, or the XF's...or the RGT if the thighrises don't bother you. All good choices really. Am I helping you here? I think I just endorsed all of them, LOL...

Heh, it's all good. Though it's interesting that I've seen the RGT's thigh rise being described as "stiff". What I tried at the store I thought had a pretty decent flex to it. Now I'm second guessing whether or not the pad I tried was a double or single break. 

2 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

Heh, it's all good. Though it's interesting that I've seen the RGT's thigh rise being described as "stiff". What I tried at the store I thought had a pretty decent flex to it. Now I'm second guessing whether or not the pad I tried was a double or single break. 

Standard is single... double break is a custom option.  I typically in the past have gone with a flexible internal with no exterior break on the outer roll.  My Smith sets were like this and I also ordered my previous Passau set with the same set up.

10 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Standard is single... double break is a custom option.  I typically in the past have gone with a flexible internal with no exterior break on the outer roll.  My Smith sets were like this and I also ordered my previous Passau set with the same set up.

Yea, a custom set of RGT with a double break could be pretty sweet. I liked everything else about the stock ones in the store, except the thighrises. Oh, I also didn't like that they are made overseas, but I'm old-school like that. But at least the price was reasonable on them...like the XF's...so it's not too bad. Companies charging same price for overseas as Canadian made piss me off >:(

Archived