Buying new pads, could use advice!

Puckducker

Watched through that whole video when you posted it up. Definitely appreciate the effort! 

This is why I want to wait until I get get my hands on a pair. Hopefully this weekend (store said they should have them in before Nov 1st, at least to try on in store). I'll get a 2nd look at the RGT's as well, hopefully be able to compare them side by side. 

@estogoalie, yes totally agree about the oversea's manufacturing. Makes sense for the cheap lower tier lineups, and that's awesome for young goalies that rotate through gear quickly (I was watching a youth Goalie clinic after my game, and 9 out of 10 of the kids are in Eflex 3's). But for the pro stock, how come none of those cost savings seem to pass to the customer?

11 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

Watched through that whole video when you posted it up. Definitely appreciate the effort! 

This is why I want to wait until I get get my hands on a pair. Hopefully this weekend (store said they should have them in before Nov 1st, at least to try on in store). I'll get a 2nd look at the RGT's as well, hopefully be able to compare them side by side. 

@estogoalie, yes totally agree about the oversea's manufacturing. Makes sense for the cheap lower tier lineups, and that's awesome for young goalies that rotate through gear quickly (I was watching a youth Goalie clinic after my game, and 9 out of 10 of the kids are in Eflex 3's). But for the pro stock, how come none of those cost savings seem to pass to the customer?

That is my issues with it at as well. I work in manufacturing and fully understand the economics of it. I get making jr or price point models overseas. Offshoring pro gear is about maintaining profit margins more than it is protecting consumer prices. 

How can Passau ( @GoalieTimmy33 ), Simmons, Boddam, McKenny, etc make gear in Canada at a significant savings to offshore pro retail gear? IMO, offshoring is about 80% profits and 20% protecting consumer prices 

Here's another question then.

If I'm looking for durability in materials, should I stick with the standard leather JenPro or go for the weave/emboss material (if offered)? 

I'd assume the weave would hold up better over time (and both my previous blocker/catcher were a weave and have lasted 7+ years), but I've heard various opinions both ways. One goalie store tells me the weave holds up best, another tells me the weave is purely aesthetic and actually is less durable overall.

@Puckducker & Others Inquiring,

I can assure you durability is a non issue with both R/G3 and R/GT pads and gloves.  Our warranty is double the duration of most manufacturers (domestic or import).  I'm sure guys like Chakal (wont let me tag for some reason) and others would be more than happy to share their testimonies of the quality in R/G3 and R/GT.  Not only is it durable by craftsmanship and material, it is more durable by design as well.  Our bindingless boot design is the most durable designs on the market.

As for replacement straps, you can use a R/G3 Elastic Strap Kit on both R/G3 and R/GT.  Velcro replacement is a non issue, these kits are more geared for those looking to renew some elasticity to their straps.

Thanks for the response @Kirk3190, appreciate the feedback.

While I've got you here I also had a random question about the customizer for the R/GT's. There are 2 materials available that are labeled as "Metallic". Are those actually a different material, or is just it just a higher gloss than the standard matte materials? 

On ‎27‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 4:07 PM, Puckducker said:

Here's another question then.

If I'm looking for durability in materials, should I stick with the standard leather JenPro or go for the weave/emboss material (if offered)? 

I'd assume the weave would hold up better over time (and both my previous blocker/catcher were a weave and have lasted 7+ years), but I've heard various opinions both ways. One goalie store tells me the weave holds up best, another tells me the weave is purely aesthetic and actually is less durable overall.

Interesting, in my own experience standard jenpro was more durable than weave on sliding parts of pads (had both materials on same pads).

On 10/27/2017 at 12:04 PM, Puckducker said:

Thanks for the response @Kirk3190, appreciate the feedback.

While I've got you here I also had a random question about the customizer for the R/GT's. There are 2 materials available that are labeled as "Metallic". Are those actually a different material, or is just it just a higher gloss than the standard matte materials? 

They are the same material as any other color.  Silver & Gold can be difficult to differentiate visually on the customizer so we wanted to be clear when selecting those colors that the actual color on the finished product will be shinier/metallic.  There are a lot of examples of the metallic gold on our Instagram page for reference.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:37 AM, Puckducker said:

Ah, that sucks to hear. Especially missing the ARS strap, I think that would definitely make a big difference compared to standard laces.

What knee pads are you using instead?

GREAT NEWS... The shop that I bought from sent my my laundry bag.  I have the Sr Knee Pads and ARS straps for the toes.  Took less than 3 minutes to install them on the pads

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎22 at 1:06 PM, Puckducker said:

Ah, that's too bad that it's not assembled here. I don't have empirical data to back it up, but all the gear I've got that's come from oversea's has started breaking down after less than a year. For the smaller stuff it doesn't really bother me, but for pads (especially custom orders) I'd like to know that stuff is going to last.

I don't think because it's made overseas that the wear will be any different if it's "pro level gear". I know a few people who are in custom CCM gear (made in China), and they are holding up very well.

Some of Bauer's pro pads had some wear issues, I believe from reading a 1S review on here, but Bauer took note of it and corrected some of those issues. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem with purchasing overseas product, in my opinion, is that you are paying the same prices on gear that they have cut cost in labour. That's my problem with it.

Senior level (mid level) gear is always going to wear down faster, and that's just due to the materials used, I don't think whoassembled it/where it's assembled.

Anyways, the reason for this post is don't buy gear just because it's produced in North America. If it feels good, and it has good reviews, embrace it :datass:

I don´t know if it is just a "made in Canada" myth, but I find every piece of my gear which was made in CAN to have perfect craftmanship. No matter if it was Vaughn, Bauer or KOHO. But some pieces - pants, C&A made overseas (like you use to say :) ) allways had some minor problems with stitching. Nothing that can´t be easily repaired at home, but it discouraged me from buying set of pads and gloves not made in CAN.  I know, that i can repair/sew C&A or pants, but will not be abe to do same on jenpro materials. I don´t say pads and gloves made overseas are bad or something, no personal experience...  

@braedub90 I hear ya, and I think that's more or less the position I'm arriving at. I've got a similar experience to what @mik posted; growing up pretty much all the gear I had was made in Canada and lasted for years. Then the first few items that I started to buy that were from oversea's, started to have seams popping open and straps ripping within months of use.

But it's probably more likely that the issue here wasn't the "overseas" part, but that this new gear was the mid-tier quality level stuff, rather than pro-stock. 

So yeah, would still prefer to support local manufacturing, but ultimately I'm going to go with the pads that feel right. Right now it's a toss up between the R/GT's and the G3s, though I'm hoping to get to try on the new Optik's this weekend to see how they stack up. 

Just now, Puckducker said:

@braedub90 I hear ya, and I think that's more or less the position I'm arriving at. I've got a similar experience to what @mik posted; growing up pretty much all the gear I had was made in Canada and lasted for years. Then the first few items that I started to buy that were from oversea's, started to have seams popping open and straps ripping within months of use.

But it's probably more likely that the issue here wasn't the "overseas" part, but that this new gear was the mid-tier quality level stuff, rather than pro-stock. 

So yeah, would still prefer to support local manufacturing, but ultimately I'm going to go with the pads that feel right. Right now it's a toss up between the R/GT's and the G3s, though I'm hoping to get to try on the new Optik's this weekend to see how they stack up. 

Don’t think you can go wrong with any of those choices, quality-wise at least. 

4 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

If you are ordering custom Optik, you can request a 3rd flex choice. It will fall between the FLX and FLY. I believe their could be an up charge for it, but it will be a stiffer FLX core with additional foam in the thigh rise. 

Alrighty, was back at the store today, to give a 2nd try out to the R/GT's, but also have a chance to try on the G3's as well as new Optiks. 

As much as I really liked the Optiks, they still didn't quite sit as well on my as both the Warrior's. Hard to quantify, but I think the sling wrap/active toe straps made me feel a lot more connected to the pad. I really like the full calf wrap on the Ritual's, as I've had too many bruises to the back of my calf in the past couple years. 

I actually think I prefer the G3's, over the GT's, which seems odd since the GT's seem to cater more to the softer pad market. The G3's weren't too stiff overall, and actually preferred the flex on the thigh rise. 

The only minor thing with the G3's was when I dropped into a reverse VH (store had some artificial ice and a net to play around in), I found the calf wedge did start to dig into the back of my leg a bit. Wasn't discomforting, and I didn't have any pants on so not sure how those would interact. @chakal, when you were playing in the G3's, did you have any issue's with the calf wedge like this? 

1 hour ago, Puckducker said:

Alrighty, was back at the store today, to give a 2nd try out to the R/GT's, but also have a chance to try on the G3's as well as new Optiks. 

As much as I really liked the Optiks, they still didn't quite sit as well on my as both the Warrior's. Hard to quantify, but I think the sling wrap/active toe straps made me feel a lot more connected to the pad. I really like the full calf wrap on the Ritual's, as I've had too many bruises to the back of my calf in the past couple years. 

I actually think I prefer the G3's, over the GT's, which seems odd since the GT's seem to cater more to the softer pad market. The G3's weren't too stiff overall, and actually preferred the flex on the thigh rise. 

The only minor thing with the G3's was when I dropped into a reverse VH (store had some artificial ice and a net to play around in), I found the calf wedge did start to dig into the back of my leg a bit. Wasn't discomforting, and I didn't have any pants on so not sure how those would interact. @chakal, when you were playing in the G3's, did you have any issue's with the calf wedge like this? 

I had the same issue with the post wedge on my RGTs (which is even smaller than the one on the G3), so I cut them off. I made a thread about it in the mods section. Was super easy. 

1 hour ago, Puckducker said:

I'v heard of this before where guys have felt some discomfort from that wedge. But coming from the Ritual G2 and now G3, I personally don't feel it.

Well, put in the order for the G3's today! Thanks everyone for all the feedback and discussion. Helped a lot to have a group to bounce idea's around. 

Now just need to play the waiting game.....

22 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I had the same issue with the post wedge on my RGTs (which is even smaller than the one on the G3), so I cut them off. I made a thread about it in the mods section. Was super easy. 

Yeah, I checked out your mod setup. Seems like it turned out pretty clean, though I'd be a little worried about losing the protection for the plastic clips. The one thing I wonder is if this mod might help pucks, that get popped up and onto the side of the pad, settle down a bit quicker then they would if they hit the flat plastic wedge. 

22 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I'v heard of this before where guys have felt some discomfort from that wedge. But coming from the Ritual G2 and now G3, I personally don't feel it.

Yeah, it wasn't anything too concerning, it was just a bit of an unusual feeling as most pads don't have anything like that. 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:25 PM, Puckducker said:

I felt it but I used it to my advantage. When I was feeling it, it's because I had my weight too much on my back, I usually play like crap when that happens, I need to have my weight in front of me to be aggressive and effective. So, every time I felt it during a game, I was saying to myself: "change your balance, be more aggressive".

Archived