Chest Protector Snuggness

Drew37

Just received my new XXL passau!  The quality on it is amazing.  Was hoping it would be a bit bigger then it is as it fits snugger then my xl Brian's Bstar.  I think part of it is on me though as I wore my other one quite loose and I'm just not used to the snuggness.  Find the belly a bit short, but just ordered the extender to solve that issue.  My question is, the straps from the back plate that connect to the front sides seem a bit short and tight.  Did it take long for them to loosen a bit during break in?

20210209_101029.jpg

I have a large arms/large body Passau off-the-shelf unit. It is the snuggest Large-size chest protector I have ever owned in every dimension. The Passau is loosely based on the old Vaughn VP5500, fwiw. If I bought it over again, I'd go with XL arms, L body with 2" belly extensions. I've played in leagues with former heavies, and never thought I needed the Pro Pack, but I don't mind feeling the puck. The great thing about the Passau is that you know your ribs are protected. The velcro holds up way better than you expect. I don't like the non-segmented floaters. The package as a whole is very, very good and fairly mobile. The elastic isn't really gonna loosen up, in my experience. The whole thing took some getting used to.

I've stopped using mine in favor of a heavily modified pro-return Vaughn V3. I did the mods myself, so its like a custom C/A. 

Edited by dualshowman

1 hour ago, dualshowman said:

I have a large arms/large body Passau off-the-shelf unit. It is the snuggest Large-size chest protector I have ever owned in every dimension. The Passau is loosely based on the old Vaughn VP5500, fwiw. If I bought it over again, I'd go with XL arms, L body with 2" belly extensions. I've played in leagues with former heavies, and never thought I needed the Pro Pack, but I don't mind feeling the puck. The great thing about the Passau is that you know your ribs are protected. The velcro holds up way better than you expect. I don't like the non-segmented floaters. The package as a whole is very, very good and fairly mobile. The elastic isn't really gonna loosen up, in my experience. The whole thing took some getting used to.

I've stopped using mine in favor of a heavily modified pro-return Vaughn V3. I did the mods myself, so its like a custom C/A. 

Okay, something just to get used to then.  When I first put it on after doing some adjustments I was disappointed as it felt it didn't fit but after some other adjustments and putting it on with my pants it's all good.  Even the extended length will be more for comfort as it overlaps the top of the pants when  standing straight and when crouched in stance there is no space.  I'm also in the process of losing some weight so it will get better as my gut gets smaller lol.

6 hours ago, Drew37 said:

Okay, something just to get used to then.  When I first put it on after doing some adjustments I was disappointed as it felt it didn't fit but after some other adjustments and putting it on with my pants it's all good.  Even the extended length will be more for comfort as it overlaps the top of the pants when  standing straight and when crouched in stance there is no space.  I'm also in the process of losing some weight so it will get better as my gut gets smaller lol.

I think you're heading in the right direction. I had to play with the height/drop of the back plate in concert with the placement of the side straps that velcro at the ribs. Having infinite adjustment EVERYTIME I put the thing on was kinda frustrating at first, so you learn by feel. Not my preference, but learnable all the same.

28 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

I think you're heading in the right direction. I had to play with the height/drop of the back plate in concert with the placement of the side straps that velcro at the ribs. Having infinite adjustment EVERYTIME I put the thing on was kinda frustrating at first, so you learn by feel. Not my preference, but learnable all the same.

I only ever undo the velcro on one side of my ribs, which helps a lot in keeping everything consistent.

• 1 year later...

I undo nothing.  Dial it in...Everything is adjustable on it.  I saw a complaint about the shoulder floaters.  You can loosen the top buckle and they will hang lower if that's how you want them.  I used to get collar bone shots all the time.  Since I got the roughneck and the chesty I've had exactly zero injuries.  Best chesty I've had.  I'm 42.  I've had Vaughn, Heaton and now this Passau.  After 5 or more years it shows NO wear what so ever.  Same with the rest of the Passau stuff I have.  Almost forgot.  I have the propac

Edited by JoJo