Swapping boot and holder brands

RichMan

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 1:22 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

The stock CCM blades are 3mm but Step does make fat blades for the XSG that is a 4mm blade with the top notched out to fit the 3mm holder.  I have them and so does @BadAngle41.  We both got them from @thebigm.

I also use the XSG holder I had them on my custom Graf skates and my True skate now as well.

Stock CCM steel is 3mm like SaveByRichter35 has mentioned with Step offering a 4mm which is called XSG FAT.

@RichMan The holder will fit as long as you get the right holder size.  They may have to drill a new hole or two to have the new holder fit properly which is common when switching between brands.

Edited by thebigm

3 hours ago, thebigm said:

I also use the XSG holder I had them on my custom Graf skates and my True skate now as well.

Stock CCM steel is 3mm like SaveByRichter35 has mentioned with Step offering a 4mm which is called XSG FAT.

@RichMan The holder will fit as long as you get the right holder size.  They may have to drill a new hole or two to have the new holder fit properly which is common when switching between brands.

Thanks for the info. As it turns out, I bit the bullet and bought 4mm Step blades for my Bauers. We'll see how I survive that :P 

• 1 year later...

Are you mainly looking for low height? As TRUE Boots should have enough protection as a cowling.

If it's a height thing, I know that you can get tall modern blades ground down a fair bit. I know my teammate had his player skates done that way because he could not get used to the new height.

11 hours ago, RichMan said:

Bringing this baby back for more questions.

Are the Reebok holders/cowlings as low as the Bauer ones of the same era? And has anyone tried to slip a True boot in a Reebok cowling? 

While I know you're asking about older Reebok cowlings and their pairing with a True boot... comparables for the Vertexx Edge and XSG are linked below. What you really get is less pitch forward from the XSG.