Knee block thickness: what is too much?

RichMan

In concordance to a post I wrote in the knee pads section, I had the chance to try on some Warrior 2X Pro+ knee pads with my Bauer 9000 goalie pads. Even though my knee block wouldn't be considered thick in today's standards, I found it to be quite a tight if not inappropriate fit with the both. The knee pads being quite wide, the knee cradle being not so wide, it let me to wonder the following:

Even if you take a pad like Bauer or Brian's where you can direct the knee lock elastic down to the calf wrap or remove the whole knee cradle altogether, if the knee block is of substantial thickness, wouldn't there be some space issues (including comber-sum movement) whilst wearing large knee pads such as the Warrior Pro+ or the CCM KP Pro or the Passau?

What has been your experience?

Just  to add: I have some Brian's where I run the knee lock down to the calf wrap for this reason. I have been mulling over putting in thicker knee blocks to help with my (pretty non-existent at my age). b-fly flair.

The inner flap the knee-lock elastic originally attached to hasn't been in the way for my knee pads (Bauer Supremes) as far as motion or rotation is concerned as it just flips out of the way. I suppose it could be cut off if it became a problem. As the knee block gets thicker, the knee would tend to sit asymmetrically (laterally) in the pad (pads pushed to the inside) - don't know if there is a limit where this would result in any sort of issues...

9 hours ago, Colander said:

Just  to add: I have some Brian's where I run the knee lock down to the calf wrap for this reason. I have been mulling over putting in thicker knee blocks to help with my (pretty non-existent at my age). b-fly flair.

The inner flap the knee-lock elastic originally attached to hasn't been in the way for my knee pads (Bauer Supremes) as far as motion or rotation is concerned as it just flips out of the way. I suppose it could be cut off if it became a problem. As the knee block gets thicker, the knee would tend to sit asymmetrically (laterally) in the pad (pads pushed to the inside) - don't know if there is a limit where this would result in any sort of issues...

What I wonder here is, if the knee block is much thicker (3-4 inches+) and the knee pad is much thicker, unless you have a very stiff knee landing, it would tend to flip outwards and then catch on each other (pads) when skating or c-cuts...no?

55 minutes ago, RichMan said:

What I wonder here is, if the knee block is much thicker (3-4 inches+) and the knee pad is much thicker, unless you have a very stiff knee landing, it would tend to flip outwards and then catch on each other (pads) when skating or c-cuts...no?

i think you need to ask that 3inch knee block guy from the wide butterfly thread

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

When I first got my V2s, the knee "blocks" (because the way they were attached were very sloppy, not like current blocks at all) would wave in the breeze. Especially when I first started it was a real struggle not to have them catch on each other without having a real bow-legged stance especially when skating backwards, so yeah I could see it being a possibility.

Having said that, today's blocks are every rigidly attached t the side of the pad, so I don't know if that could be an issue

@RichMan What I do is mark the middle width of the pad at knee height( 5 ½”) as I want my knee to centred on the pad and then adjust the thickness of the knee block accordingly. 

On my floor hockey pads I don’t wear knee pads so having my knee block at 4” allows my knee to be centred on the pad. I marked the middle of the pad with a yellow spot in the pictures.

On my G5 pads I wear knee pads so I use a 3” knee block and this centers my knee on the middle of the pad.

I find that if the center of my knee is past the middle width of the pad then the pad is prone to under rotating and skating/ movement is hard.

168AFCBF-A1D5-48AC-B99C-7ECB1AAEDDB5.jpeg

369162E6-8C1F-4290-BD0D-41C27972A5AE.jpeg

334E14CB-43E6-4CEE-BECF-5ED3C94292BD.jpeg

2DA999D8-D52D-40E6-BFDB-2DA194763EC5.jpeg

Archived