My Quickie Mask Paint Job

IPv6Freely

Have an event coming up in a couple weeks, and had a spare mask kicking around. Figured I’d take some rattle cans to it. It won’t be great but it’s only for one skate!

It’s just rustoleum. First I sanded the mask down. Next 4-5 coats of white. Can says paint and primer in one, so whatever. Thin coats.

Apparently there’s more dust in my garage than I thought, though oddly enough this is only a problem on one side. Whatever. 

Next I masked off the white stripes, then masked off the rest of it as well. Yes, those are Starbucks napkins. 

Painted the wide light blue stripes on the sides. 

Next I’ll be masking the light blue part and painting the rest of the mask navy. 

I did buy a can of clear, too. Not sure if that’s going to be worth the effort. Stay tuned for more crappy DIY mask paint!

CACDCD63-96FB-4AD2-85F8-14BEC671836C.jpeg

9B1CE00B-36C4-4DCB-AC0A-A952561D9E20.jpeg

90469E8C-C8C1-49D4-8C8B-EEFDA0CDF5D1.jpeg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you consider using PlastiDip instead? Less prep, ie no sanding, and you can peel it off afterwards. Guys paint their cars with this stuff.

I just have simple vinyl graphics on my mask so I bought some FlexiDip (which is Rusoleum's version of the product) to translate the design to paint. The vinyl probably stands up to pucks better but the FlexiDip will let me change colours to a larger area. Haven’t gotten around to it though, but some day.

6 hours ago, KootenayKeeper said:

Did you consider using PlastiDip instead? Less prep, ie no sanding, and you can peel it off afterwards. Guys paint their cars with this stuff.

I just have simple vinyl graphics on my mask so I bought some FlexiDip (which is Rusoleum's version of the product) to translate the design to paint. The vinyl probably stands up to pucks better but the FlexiDip will let me change colours to a larger area. Haven’t gotten around to it though, but some day.

I considered it for the 10 seconds or do it took to see they didn’t have the colors I needed ;)

Are you putting your cans into HOT water for a few minutes before spraying? You may be trapping some dust, but your paint doesn’t look to be flowing very well, either; almost looks like it’s spitting. You may be able to get some of what looks to be orange peel down by gentle wet sanding. 

I would do several cans of clear, especially if you’re wet sanding. 

I am digging the colour scheme so far. 

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

Are you putting your cans into HOT water for a few minutes before spraying? You may be trapping some dust, but your paint doesn’t look to be flowing very well, either; almost looks like it’s spitting. You may be able to get some of what looks to be orange peel down by gentle wet sanding. 

I would do several cans of clear, especially if you’re wet sanding. 

I am digging the colour scheme so far. 

I didn’t know I should do that, so no. I probably could have just wet sand led the white base layer since that’s what caused all the texture, but I didn’t. 

Several CANS of clear? I don’t see that happening. I have one can and no plan to buy more. 

Like I said, this needs to last me a grand total of 90 minutes, so it’s not worth putting a ton of effort into it. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I didn’t know I should do that, so no. I probably could have just wet sand led the white base layer since that’s what caused all the texture, but I didn’t. 

Several CANS of clear? I don’t see that happening. I have one can and no plan to buy more. 

Like I said, this needs to last me a grand total of 90 minutes, so it’s not worth putting a ton of effort into it. 

I get it. I tend to take a “quick and dirty” project and go WAY over the top. 

Getting the cans hot makes the paint flow easier. It’s not on the instructions, but it’s been a “hack” for rattle bombs forever.

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

I get it. I tend to take a “quick and dirty” project and go WAY over the top. 

Getting the cans hot makes the paint flow easier. It’s not on the instructions, but it’s been a “hack” for rattle bombs forever.

I did buy one of the little handles for the cans that made life so much easier. That was worth the couple bucks it cost! 

Thanks for the info, I’ll know for next time. It was surprisingly difficult to find thin masking tape, too. Ended up with some Martha Stewart craft stuff that cost a fortune. If I’d planned ahead I would have bought some online.

8 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Haha but that’s it huh? ;)

Haha I didn’t mean it that way. I just know from my experience, I did paint one of my old masks myself and used a rattle can clear and it didn’t take many shots to the head before the paint chipped out pretty bad. 

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I did buy one of the little handles for the cans that made life so much easier. That was worth the couple bucks it cost! 

Thanks for the info, I’ll know for next time. It was surprisingly difficult to find thin masking tape, too. Ended up with some Martha Stewart craft stuff that cost a fortune. If I’d planned ahead I would have bought some online.

The handle makes you hold the can differently, as well. 

Auto body repair supply houses also carry the thinner tapes. I use those when painting VH Frankenstein stripes on my own personal guitars;

E86E6F40-4016-4126-B1DA-00F740EBBC99.jpeg

Yes- some of the black stripes were not done right on purpose! 

Another secret to PREVENT those leaks under the masking is to paint the colour you last did on the masked tape. Why? Because if it leaked like you see, it leaked that colour and it sealed it at the tape.  

Keep in mind that I sprayed a “yellowed” lacquer and purposely weathered the pain in spots as this was a test bed for learning how to age a guitar. 

Come to think of it. I may just have to “Frankenstein” my next masque!!! I love the look!!!!

9374D10D-F09D-4461-8525-BF4F8D527FF4.jpeg

On 11/23/2017 at 12:35 PM, parebele said:

The VH stripes make a really good background for other graphics. I have a friend whose backplates are always done in VH stripes, but in the colours of the rest of the mask.

You’re really trying to get me to get me to get a masque painted by you, aren’t you?

Great paint!!!

Archived