Trend alert...

I have received no fewer than three emails about skates boasting their flex attributes. Is this a sign that skates have become too stiff for a growing minority of players? I know an old school Graf wouldn’t give much protection in a goal skate without the cowl. But there are guys in my group that bought up a BUNCH of the older Bauer boots (Supreme 5000) and are hanging onto them.  Just interesting that three emails boasted “New Improved  Flexible Boot!”

Edited by bunnyman666

A quarter package that gives you more flex forward and back means you can get into a deeper stance without unduly loosening your laces. I don't think any skate manufacturers are making the boot more flexible near the toes or along the body of the foot.

My perfect boot would be very flexible front-to-back at the ankle, and extremely stiff side-to-side for maximum stability when moving on my feet. Right now, you kind've have to take a really stiff boot and just make do when you lace it up.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 2:43 PM, bunnyman666 said:

However the foot can feel more natural, I am all for it. I don’t believe  for a minute the new flexible boots will feel like an old Supreme 5000 boot. 

Clearly not! Those skates felt like slippers.

I own the Bauer 700. Apparently it is a more forgiving boot than the 1X/2X. I like to feel my foot well secured as if the skate is part of my anatomy, less wobbling. The flexing forward as @CJ Boiss puts it is really where the action is. I get that in my skates but going with the top model might take that away some I believe. Also consider that we played different when the 5000 was around as compared to now, hence the stiffer boots. I'm also convinced that if you take a 5'9 160lbs goalie versus my 6'2 190lbs versus a 6'6 210 monster in the show, all are needs in a skate will differ accordingly.

I'm very curious to know where the True FT9 falls into the categories.

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

Clearly not! Those skates felt like slippers.

I own the Bauer 700. Apparently it is a more forgiving boot than the 1X/2X. I like to feel my foot well secured as if the skate is part of my anatomy, less wobbling. The flexing forward as @CJ Boiss puts it is really where the action is. I get that in my skates but going with the top model might take that away some I believe. Also consider that we played different when the 5000 was around as compared to now, hence the stiffer boots. I'm also convinced that if you take a 5'9 160lbs goalie versus my 6'2 190lbs versus a 6'6 210 monster in the show, all are needs in a skate will differ accordingly.

I'm very curious to know where the True FT9 falls into the categories.

I would tend to agree that the lower end boot is more flexible. If there is little to no carbon in the boot, it will be by default more flexible. I know there has been the occasion where a player had their heart set on a top of the line skate and ended up walking out of the store with second or even third tier skate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Wouldn’t the hinged boot Bauer is testing both stiff AND flexible?

It’s going to just build on the current three Bauer skates. Stiffer in the bottom like the supremes were, and more flexible in the top like the vapors. And they aren’t just testing them, they will be coming to retail when the new supreme goal line launches next year.