I have resisted the urge for stick GAS

bunnyman666

Gear Acquisition Syndrome for those who wonder...

Anywho- between myself and my old shoppe employee @Dumpy, it seems we have procured a lifetime supply of Bauer Reactor Hybrid goal sticks. This should keep me for quite a long time. I freakin’ love this stick. Dumpy may very well sell me his stock if he can’t get back on the ice. He has five of them.

Fast forward to June 30th: it’s the traditional fire sale time at big box hockey. 20, 30, 65% off MAP for last year’s stuff. Ooohhhhh... I could get the “new” Warrior stick for only $125 (just throwing up a price). 

I did get new skates. I did buy a 2X blocker that I will likely reface (I have been refacing blockers like crazy!). I don’t want to get into a new stick and go crazy for it, as I have SEVEN Reactor Hybrid sticks waiting to be cut, wrapped, and pressed into service. These do fine for me. I also am a certified cheap skate, as I think a stick should only cost $50 at the most! 

Has anyone here resisted GAS?

On 7/3/2021 at 5:24 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Has anyone here resisted GAS?

I work at a shop solely to fuel my GAS. I generally have one or zero days off a week between the shop and my career.

I've got GAS pretty bad. Nasty, foul, stinky GAS. Luckily, my wife is an angel and doesn't mind.

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I work at a shop solely to fuel my GAS. I generally have one or zero days off a week between the shop and my career.

I've got GAS pretty bad. Nasty, foul, stinky GAS. Luckily, my wife is an angel and doesn't mind.

You’re a lucky man.

13 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Pretty much my situation as well, except I only put in a day or two a month.   Still, the discount means I can buy more gear and still spend less than I used to, so my wife also views it as a win.  Although her first comment when I told her I got a second job at a hockey shop was "Ah crap, now I have to get a second job so we can afford YOUR second job".  

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Pretty much my situation as well, except I only put in a day or two a month.   Still, the discount means I can buy more gear and still spend less than I used to, so my wife also views it as a win.  Although her first comment when I told her I got a second job at a hockey shop was "Ah crap, now I have to get a second job so we can afford YOUR second job".  

Precisely why I don’t work in a hockey shoppe 😂

23 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I "worked" at Friendly's restaurant while in college. I didn't get paychecks at the end of the week, I got a bill for all the food I ate. They only gave employees 50% off on food. Waiters only got paid half of minimum wage with the expectation that you made at least the other half on tips (not always). Meanwhile I was taxed on the full salary still.

I ate a lot of sundaes. You could take a 'to-go' paper cup and fill it to the brim with Reese's cups and add a little ice cream on top. Had to be 20 plus Reese's cups in there. So great.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MTH said:

I "worked" at Friendly's restaurant while in college. I didn't get paychecks at the end of the week, I got a bill for all the food I ate. They only gave employees 50% off on food. Waiters only got paid half of minimum wage with the expectation that you made at least the other half on tips (not always). Meanwhile I was taxed on the full salary still.

I ate a lot of sundaes. You could take a 'to-go' paper cup and fill it to the brim with Reese's cups and add a little ice cream on top. Had to be 20 plus Reese's cups in there. So great.

I never worked food, and I never really went crazy on buying stuff at Radio Shack and all of the records I got whilst working at the Record Shoppe were promos that I accidentally permanently borrowed. So I never was the guy who owed money at payroll time. I knew guys and girls who did, and their parents told them to get different jobs. One of my friends’ kids figured out the trap at Abercrombie and Fitch that essentially, a preferred employment arrangement was that the kids working there essentially paid to work there as you HAD to wear the clothes and stay ‘in season’. Maybe this has changed (I’d hope). The clothing allowance was very generous, but you had to invest a fair bit, none the less. 

On 7/7/2021 at 9:53 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I regard it as a win-win.  They get someone who's passionate about gear and knowledgeable about playing net and I get to try out multiple new sets of gear for what a single set used to cost me.    All for giving up 1-2 Saturdays?  Yeah, I'll take that deal.

7 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I regard it as a win-win.  They get someone who's passionate about gear and knowledgeable about playing net and I get to try out multiple new sets of gear for what a single set used to cost me.    All for giving up 1-2 Saturdays?  Yeah, I'll take that deal.

Good onya! 

I get it. I would literally pay to work there LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I work now for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. 

I get to sit in all the construction traffic I want while getting paid. Beat that.

We're almost done 95 reconstruction. Almost...

Edited by MTH

In my locale, the patron saint of the roads, Our Lady of Perpetual and Ongoing Construction tends to bless us with long stretches of construction. I can only be utterly thankful that my job is now permanently work from home. I saw a job for my local rink’s pro shoppe; first is a conflict of interest due to my sharpening business and secondly, I would be paying to work there as a result of all the Schwag I would be purchasing.