Bauer 2X Sr blocker review

bunnyman666

I have been called a fierce traditionalist, even a “retro grouch”, if you will. Let me tell you this: if that is what you think, you have got me dead wrong.

Certainly- I have a great collection of retro gear: Northland Makita helmet, a variety of Jofa helmets (pronounced “Yo-fah”, not “Jo-fuh”), a few Cooper helmets, early Vaughn stuff, etc., etc. None of these items are being used. I am preserving the past rather than letting these things become wallets. But I thoroughly recognise that the game has changed, and that it’s for the better. My preference is for softer pads, but I think this can be carried out with modern flavour. Skates can (and in my opinion will) have characteristics of past designs with modern materials. 

Gloves, both catch and stick, are items that in my blunt opinion items that very much benefit from new material technology. Yes- one of my primary catch gloves is a “Hoho” rebadged, Jeff Salvi built Helite Z clone, but the Factory Mad gloves are back in rotation. I used my FM modded Brian’s Alite and it was okay yesterday, though this very glove could be on the sale block as early as next week. But one item that I think is nearly perfect as is? My new Bauer 2X Senior blocker.

I am not a “blocker is a blocker” bloke. A LOT of thought goes into what my stick hand goes into. I admit that it is one of my favourite pieces of gear. If the board is shaped wrong, it can get you into trouble. My stick hand is my BEST defence against right handed shooters. I like a blocker to feel like an extension of my right hand. If the glove is too low, paddle down may not seal the ice for me; too high and my wrist could be exposed.

Where one of my quirks that get my called a “retro grouch” could be is my preference for natural Hyde palms. I like cattle, equine or goat. I don’t want to repalm gloves, as it is a frustrating thing to do; the new palm materials do significantly reduce break in.

The palm on this blocker is a revelation. It is not gigantic on my hand (which is why a stock Brian’s is not for me), plus it feels like one of Bob Ross’ fluffy little clouds. It also feels like something I will replace with a natural Hyde within a few years. I give the palm a 4/10, mainly due to it likely breaking down quicker; however, feel is 9/10. I could sacrifice durability for the broken-in and overall nice feeling.

Value for money spent: of course this is a discounted item. But even at the mid-price point, it’s got value. Curv composite is in the face of this blocker, which used to only be in the top of the line Bauer stuff. It performs EVERY bit as well as my 1X did for the same amount spent! Value for money is 9/10.

Performance: as covered above, this blocker performs every bit as well as my 1X. It’s even lighter. The shape is pretty cool, as well, and light as a feather. I actually subscribe to the “wearing lighter gear makes you perform better over an hour’s worth of a game” theory. One SHOULD do their off ice work outs and “do some more weights”. I won’t discount that; however- you will be less fatigued over a full game wearing the lightest stuff you can buy. Shots pop right off the face. In general, buying a lower end blocker in this line does not come as a penalty. Performance: 9/10

Appearance: blocker of the future. Looks like a blade. 9/10.

Overall, this gets a 7.75 out of 10. Take out the palm (highly subjective area), and it’s a solid 9/10. 

These are being blown out for around $189 USD on different sites.

4F083096-73BD-4324-912B-2D0E17FAB207.jpeg

5F74A746-6300-4F97-9D98-2570B40BD1E2.jpeg

B0BB1F94-3FDA-44C4-AF54-925CC3339BAC.jpeg

AFB924F0-27E3-499B-ACEF-AF8D0165EDEB.jpeg

D4458D2F-3384-412B-8023-7948A2700773.png

913B6381-5D37-4765-8F9F-86CDC4D9947B.jpeg

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

• bunnyman666 changed the title to Bauer 2X Sr blocker review

Just got to open a used 2X blocker so I'll give some insight to this one. I'll make an mod/repair topic later on with some more pictures and story.

This blocker has been used for a season in active or competitional (not highest though) level junior hockey about below 20 years. Bought it really cheap as he said it strikes through really bad and the plate is broken at the top where it was bending visually.

One wear point which is a bit of a design problem too as the inside fabric is way too tight and the jenpro edge couldn't protect there enough (thumb plastic is worn through):

IMG_20210709_204608_8x6.jpg.fd6620e3032bee30dc7c20c157e4edaf.jpg

What's inside then? Polystyren that is expanded (ball like cells) and then compressed. Very easily cracks between the connections of the balls as has happened here too. Only reason to use this material here is the weight, it's really light compared to volume. These same effect are seen in CCM catchers and pads too.

Curv Composite sheet is over the edges to reinforce things. And the plate is cracked at both edges of the Curv. (don't show up really well on the picture) No wonder it gives stingers as there are only a remains of the rigidity left in the plate now.

IMG_20210709_205722_8x6.jpg.87ef25b054080737b2d1666b467f407b.jpg

From first look through I thought the Curv was only used to reinforce the top and bottom of the plate but the sheet goes all over the front of the blocker. And from new unit experiences it makes a good job there too. Now it seems to flex way too much which also takes away from the protection, and also some of the hot rebounds.

And the problem is the glue used or the amount of it, as they have used as little of the glue as possible. Now with the foam layer broken the plate is bending so much that the Curv has ripped off.

Some polymere glue in between there and hopefully it'll stick good enough. Also the polystyrene sheet was glued with the Urethane glue. 

IMG_20210710_172326_8x6.jpg.9fd11281a58f71fd84323a7c3420f7fd.jpg

IMG_20210709_204608_8x6.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

Just got to open a used 2X blocker so I'll give some insight to this one. I'll make an mod/repair topic later on with some more pictures and story.

This blocker has been used for a season in active or competitional (not highest though) level junior hockey about below 20 years. Bought it really cheap as he said it strikes through really bad and the plate is broken at the top where it was bending visually.

One wear point which is a bit of a design problem too as the inside fabric is way too tight and the jenpro edge couldn't protect there enough (thumb plastic is worn through):

IMG_20210709_204608_8x6.jpg.fd6620e3032bee30dc7c20c157e4edaf.jpg

What's inside then? Polystyren that is expanded (ball like cells) and then compressed. Very easily cracks between the connections of the balls as has happened here too. Only reason to use this material here is the weight, it's really light compared to volume. These same effect are seen in CCM catchers and pads too.

Curv Composite sheet is over the edges to reinforce things. And the plate is cracked at both edges of the Curv. (don't show up really well on the picture) No wonder it gives stingers as there are only a remains of the rigidity left in the plate now.

IMG_20210709_205722_8x6.jpg.87ef25b054080737b2d1666b467f407b.jpg

From first look through I thought the Curv was only used to reinforce the top and bottom of the plate but the sheet goes all over the front of the blocker. And from new unit experiences it makes a good job there too. Now it seems to flex way too much which also takes away from the protection, and also some of the hot rebounds.

And the problem is the glue used or the amount of it, as they have used as little of the glue as possible. Now with the foam layer broken the plate is bending so much that the Curv has ripped off.

Some polymere glue in between there and hopefully it'll stick good enough. Also the polystyrene sheet was glued with the Urethane glue. 

IMG_20210710_172326_8x6.jpg.9fd11281a58f71fd84323a7c3420f7fd.jpg

IMG_20210709_204608_8x6.jpg

Thanks for that. I rotate through a series of gear, so this wear characteristic may not rear it’s ugly head for years, but I will certainly look out for it.

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Thanks for that. I rotate through a series of gear, so this wear characteristic may not rear it’s ugly head for years, but I will certainly look out for it.

It is possible that the wear is from previous users way of stick handling or maybe he had his stick cut to pistol handle or whatever. So this might not be a problem for every user or also it might be uneven production problem which will appear only on some of the many 2X blockers. Can't tell at the moment but maybe some years later we have enough of them used to examine more. 🙂

Until then, happy using of the blocker. It feels really good and I'll take mine to testrun as soon as I get it back together.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

It is possible that the wear is from previous users way of stick handling or maybe he had his stick cut to pistol handle or whatever. So this might not be a problem for every user or also it might be uneven production problem which will appear only on some of the many 2X blockers. Can't tell at the moment but maybe some years later we have enough of them used to examine more. 🙂

Until then, happy using of the blocker. It feels really good and I'll take mine to testrun as soon as I get it back together.

I used my Factory Mad blocker at the game yesterday, so I had no other impressions to give at this point. Of course that blocker is pretty well 100% custom with intermediate sized horse hide palm, amongst other crazy specs.

I think I could solve the blocker foam breaking problem; the only thing is that it would make the cost of a blocker sky rocket. Maybe I will do my own testing and offer bespoke replacement foams. 

The finger and thumb protection on many models of blocker need redesign. I have found there is an excess of material and the protection doesn’t float well, making it wear and also causing difficulty gripping the stick in some cases. Nobody has made the perfect blocker, though I would MUCH rather wear modern blockers, as the side protection is much better than anything made 30 years ago. 

I am anxious to see what you find on the 2x Senior blockers in time.

• Like 1