Vaughn V9 vs SLR2 catcher

wvuviv30

Whats the difference in the feel of these 2 gloves?

I found this on the

V9: "break angle of the V9 Pro Carbon catcher is designed to feel similar to that of a CCM 600 break."

SLR2-ST: "Ventus glove is a 75-degree angle break, similar to a CCM 600 break"

I'm looking to replace an original CCM (Premier) 600 break.  I tried the new EF4 and it doesn't feel the same as the original 600.  I've tried an Optik2 glove and liked the feel, but couldn't catch with it and had too many pop-outs.

44 minutes ago, wvuviv30 said:

Whats the difference in the feel of these 2 gloves?

I found this on the

V9: "break angle of the V9 Pro Carbon catcher is designed to feel similar to that of a CCM 600 break."

SLR2-ST: "Ventus glove is a 75-degree angle break, similar to a CCM 600 break"

I'm looking to replace an original CCM (Premier) 600 break.  I tried the new EF4 and it doesn't feel the same as the original 600.  I've tried an Optik2 glove and liked the feel, but couldn't catch with it and had too many pop-outs.

Where did you find that?

The V9 is identical to the VE8 and both are clones of a CCM 590, like, blatant rip off clones...I own both of these Vaughn gloves and have compared them side by side with CCM 590 gloves. 

I've never played with an SLR glove but they feel quite drastically different from Velocity gloves.  The pocket sits more perpendicular from the ground when held out sideways and it's a steeper angle than the Velocity gloves.  They feel really awkward to me and I am a lifelong Velocity/5500 Vaughn glove user.

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Where did you find that?

The V9 is identical to the VE8 and both are clones of a CCM 590, like, blatant rip off clones...I own both of these Vaughn gloves and have compared them side by side with CCM 590 gloves. 

I've never played with an SLR glove but they feel quite drastically different from Velocity gloves.  The pocket sits more perpendicular from the ground when held out sideways and it's a steeper angle than the Velocity gloves.  The feel really awkward to me and I am a lifelong Velocity/5500 Vaughn glove user.

The V9 XP is the 590 clone. The regular V9 is a 75 degree break and the SLR2 is the continuation of the Epic 5500 line (still a similar 75 break).

@wvuviv30 The SLR has a pretty distinct feel to it as it's somewhat of a legacy glove. I've owned the LT90 prior and enjoyed it, however I'd make sure you'd try one before blindly buying it.

21 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The V9 XP is the 590 clone. The regular V9 is a 75 degree break and the SLR2 is the continuation of the Epic 5500 line (still a similar 75 break).

@wvuviv30 The SLR has a pretty distinct feel to it as it's somewhat of a legacy glove. I've owned the LT90 prior and enjoyed it, however I'd make sure you'd try one before blindly buying it.

Right, yes, good catch.  My comments relate to the single piece cuff version. I sorta forget they still make 2 piece cuffs.   I stand corrected.

@wvuviv30  Can you specify if you mean the 2 piece or 1 piece V9 and SLR gloves?

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Right, yes, good catch.  My comments relate to the single piece cuff version. I sorta forget they still make 2 piece cuffs.   I stand corrected.

@wvuviv30  Can you specify if you mean the 2 piece or 1 piece V9 and SLR gloves?

ok... I was looking/reading The Hockey Shops description.

1 hour ago, wvuviv30 said:

Well I read both and focused on the 2pc because it said it was like the 600.

The V9-XP says "designed to feel similar to that of a CCM 590 break"

Right on.

Well the break angle is going to be the same, then.  So they will generally close in a very similar if not identical way.  So then you are going to be looking at the other differences, which you can somewhat discern just from pics.  Unfortunately, as familiar with Vaughn stuff as I am, I think I've only put a V9 2 piece glove on maybe twice, and just a couple times more with an SLR 2 2 piece.

They look pretty similar overall.  Differences are a single vs double T, the wrist strap internally is different, and it looks like the SLR external backhand padding is a solid single piece (no gaps in the individual sections), whereas the Velocity is segmented (with gaps in the individual sections.

Honestly, if I were you I would call Vaughn directly and just talk to them.  In my experience they are happy to have conversations in detail about gear.  If you are in Canada, I'm not sure who to ask for but if you call the US office ask for Dennis.  If you call the Hockey Shop (in Surrey?), ask for Cam.

Here's the SLR 2

Vaughn Ventus SLR2 Pro Senior Goalie GloveVaughn Ventus SLR2 Pro Senior Goalie Glove

Vaughn Ventus SLR2 Pro Senior Goalie Glove

Vaughn Ventus SLR2 Pro Senior Goalie Glove

And the V9

Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Carbon Senior Goalie Glove

@seagoal I second calling and talking to them. Email can be dodgy. I couldn’t get the email chain completed for a custom pair of Graf skates (handled by Vaughn) and ended up waiting and regret that as I am having a rough time with my recent converted skates. Had I phoned, I would have likely ended up with a pair of custom Graf skates. Phone calls ALWAYS netted better results for me. 

Archived