Back Braces

For the second time in less than two years, I have herniated my L4/L5 disc. This time, it wasn't due to hockey, but I was forced to play in the playoffs because my team wouldn't have a goalie otherwise.

I'm seeing a spine doctor, doing the requisite PT, and even getting some epidural injections to help my recovery.

My question for you guys is do you have any experience with using a back brace while you play? I can't go through this injury again and I want to protect myself when I am fully recovered and back on the ice.

That sucks I am sorry to hear that.  Quite a few years ago my dad injured his back but I don't remember if it was a disc issue or not.  He did have to wear a rather large cumbersome brace.  I don't know what kind of brace you would need in your situation but if its anything like what my dad wore I cannot see anyone being able to play goalie in that thing.

So brace may not be the right term. What I have in mind is not the giant medical contraption that pulls your shoulders back. This would be along the line of a velcro compression belt that goes around the waist. The idea being to immobilize the lumbar. 

Something like this: https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/Sports-Products/Sports-Back-Support/p/YPBF_SPW_SBACKSUP

9 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

So brace may not be the right term. What I have in mind is not the giant medical contraption that pulls your shoulders back. This would be along the line of a velcro compression belt that goes around the waist. The idea being to immobilize the lumbar. 

Something like this: https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/Sports-Products/Sports-Back-Support/p/YPBF_SPW_SBACKSUP

I feel like you would probably be totally fine wearing something like that.

15 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I've had my fair share of back problems, and I've felt this helped me a lot, I honestly forgot it was there

https://www.foxracing.com/product/turbo-kidney-belt-[blackgrey]-os/07037-014-OS.html

Wow that's a great option. I imagine motocross riders are in the same boat in terms of spine compression. 

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to follow up for anyone that reads this in the future. My PT has advised against me wearing a back brace while playing. Based on her experience, it might cause more harm than good because it would eliminate having to engage my core muscles which might cause them to become underdeveloped.

That being said, my Return to Play program includes fundamental strength exercises such as squat and deadlift in which we're trying to bring the strength between my core and my limbs into better balance. Idea being that we "overbuild" my core such that I can stabilize my spine during play.

Appreciate everyone's input!

• Like 1